How does second chance offer work

bryonz
Community Member
How does this work for a seller if my reserve price was not Achieved
Message 1 of 19
Latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

Re: How does second chance offer work

SCO = Shilling doesn't hold up if the winning bidder honours their bid.

For a long time, I continually placed the first bid, at opening price, on a seller's items who sent out SCOs to every single underbidder, ensuring that every single time I was paying the lowest possible price the seller would obviously take for an item, and it also means it was impossible for me to have been "shilled".

Message 11 of 19
Latest reply

@iamanark wrote:

eBay policy .............................................. LOL .

Since when has ebay policy had anything to do with honesty ?

Who knows....but I do know that as a seller I WAS HONEST - and you are besmirching all sellers with your ridiculous retoric.

and if I spelt besmirching and retoric incorrectly I don't care, that's how MAD I am!

You can't please all the people all the time, so now I just please myself

Message 12 of 19
Latest reply

There is another way that a SCO may be taken up and it's where the winner has paid for their item and a SCO is Emailed to the

underbidder.

I had two copies of: 4 WD Action DVD Victorian High Country,Ultimate 4WD guide,Iconic Destination,No4

Sold the first one for $20 (07-Sep-13)and the second one for $19.99 to the underbidder,(03-Sep-13).

The winner left feedback after the underbidder.

Message 13 of 19
Latest reply

I use second chance offers from time to time, usually when I have duplicate items for sale. I've never had any complaints from buyers and are happy to make an extra sale. To be honest I couldnt be bothered shilling my own auctions. I,ve got better things to do with my time. Second chance offers are not something I use a lot, but basically they are another handy tool to have in the box.

Message 14 of 19
Latest reply

I have been an Ebay buyer for many years. In all that time I have never had a second chance offer from a seller on anything I have bid on. Don't get that really. If someone has outbid me then not paid the seller I would appreciate such an offer. There is always a choice for the new prospective buyer - accept gladly or politely decline. Others may think differently of course. That's their prerogative but I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that there was shill bidding as there are so many non-payers.

Message 15 of 19
Latest reply

Sound out the ID for the one who claims every seller is shonky.

Message 16 of 19
Latest reply

@sprinklespowerpuff wrote:

I have been an Ebay buyer for many years. In all that time I have never had a second chance offer from a seller on anything I have bid on. Don't get that really. If someone has outbid me then not paid the seller I would appreciate such an offer. There is always a choice for the new prospective buyer - accept gladly or politely decline. Others may think differently of course. That's their prerogative but I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that there was shill bidding as there are so many non-payers.

Usually when you have a non payer with auctions it takes 10-12 days to sort out ( yes I know I can do it in eight, but I usually give them a fair go, maybe a message or two etc. )  By this time I figure the underbidder would have moved on and so usually just relist as the uptake rate for SCO's is only around 25% anyway. I normally only use them for duplicate items.

Message 17 of 19
Latest reply

Thanks very much for trying to undermine a perfectly ligitimate selling tool.

If I sell an item ($6.00 start) for $30.00 and I have a second identical one I always send the underbidder a second chance to buy it at the price that THEY set as THEIR maximum.

Some people take it up and some dont, that is their perogative.

I never have and never will bid on my own items (is that even possible?) I let the market set the price.

Some of the sellers here are honest, please do not lump everyone into the same basket.

I am honest and genuine and do not appreciate being called otherwise.

Message 18 of 19
Latest reply

I didn't know that most auctions even had a reserve price option?

They start at whatever the seller lists them at and go from there.

I have had quite a few second chance offers.

Some were definitely sellers who had more than one of the item, because they were new items.

In a couple of other cases, the sellers contacted me and said the winning buyer had sent a message to say they no longer wanted the item, so it was now available to me as a second chance offer. Often the second chance offer was in the next day, although sometimes a couple of days out.

To be honest, in a couple of cases i wasn't even sure what the second chance offer was for till i clicked on the listing because once you lose an auction or even get outbid, you tend to forget all about it.

I usually take them up on second chance offers.

I would say most of the sellers are genuine.

They are lucky though if a buyer lets them know quickly that payment won't be happening. From what i have read, a few buyers are just never heard from again after bidding and the seller has to wait quite a while to sort it out. If that happened, i don't think a second chance offer would work so well a couple of weeks down the track.

Second chance offers can vary in that sellers can set how long the offer is open for-mine have varied between 24 hours and 3 days. 24 hours isn't long as a buyer may not check their account daily. But on the other hand, it depends on how long a seller wants to hold up the relisting process too as a second chance offer may not be taken up or even replied to.

Message 19 of 19
Latest reply