I just got in "trouble" for ebays new address tracking.

Just took todays pile of mail down to my local PO and the guy scanning noticed ebays new input tracking code in the addresses of my parcel labels. Told me you aren't allowed to put extra information in the addressing section just the street or PO box, suburb, state, postcode. I told him it was ebays doing and I assumed ot had been organised with Australia Post but he had no knowledge of it nor did his manager the postmaster. So this makes me wonder just how useful even isvthis addition if AP don't even know about it? Has anyone else had comments on it from AP staff?
Message 1 of 38
Latest reply
37 REPLIES 37

Re: I just got in "trouble" for ebays new address tracking.

I honestly can't see how it'd make the tracking any more valid. Parcels already have a tracking number and if anyone prints a label through ebay they have irrefutable proof of tracking. Adding another code can't possibly prove anything more than the existing tracking number already does, so why add it? All it does is make more work and confuse everyone, with absolutely no benefits that I can see.

Message 21 of 38
Latest reply

I use Mypost Business and the problem I am having with this is that if a buyer purchases multiple items individually it generates a different code for each purchase. Since I offer free shipping I of course put them all in one parcel.

But now Mypost won't let me combine the orders as it says they are all going to different addresses and if I generate one label and try to add that tracking number to the rest of the buyers orders, eBay says the tracking number is already in use and can not be applied to those items as they all need to go to the same address..... omg!

So I expect eBay wants me to send every item individually in seperate parcels and generate more shipping costs?

Something going on in the background where eBay seem to want to force us to pay more postage.

Message 22 of 38
Latest reply

As previously mentioned, there is an underlying reason ebay has done this and it has nothing to do with improved tracking. Its like adding a smiley face at the end of the address and saying tracking is now better.

Message 23 of 38
Latest reply

If you edit the code out of each one will it allow you to save it in Mypost. Then you can just combine them as normal.

Message 24 of 38
Latest reply

Yes that is what I have to do now or copy one code and apply it to the buyers entire order.

I think removing the code is safest at the moment until we find out what the real reason for the code is.

Maybe to avoid people saying they received their parcel but items are missing?

I am sure it will come out eventually as to why this is happening.

Probably something to do with their new shipping service when they change from using Australia Post for the eBay generated labels.

Message 25 of 38
Latest reply

Mypost has a better tracking system which is accurate and emails buyers along the way. Ebay I am yet to see what it does and so far the estimate for delivery does not seem to change if it arrives earlier.

Message 26 of 38
Latest reply

We took this up with 'Customer Support' showing the code in MyPost in address line 1 and the subsequent error message and the need to manually fix the address on every order.  As the code has no relevance to the sender, addressee or delivery person we delete it.  I suggested it get moved to the reference field concatanated with the existing item number.  I got $50 credit for that suggestion !

It's hard enough with buyers adding all sorts of odd names, numbers and requests in their delivery addresses, not to mention the spelling mistakes and WRONG postcodes !

Message 27 of 38
Latest reply

Who says that Paypal have given you the right advice, the next person you speak to will most likely tell you something different. I'm not concerned about the code, the address is still correct, so I can't see how there would be a problem, and if so, it is for eBay to sort out. I think the whole thing is a storm in a teacup.

Message 28 of 38
Latest reply

Stupid Postie. Idiots do what idiots do no matter what you do.

Message 29 of 38
Latest reply

My sentiments exactly. I wish I could give you more than one Kudo.
Message 30 of 38
Latest reply