I just got in "trouble" for ebays new address tracking.

Just took todays pile of mail down to my local PO and the guy scanning noticed ebays new input tracking code in the addresses of my parcel labels. Told me you aren't allowed to put extra information in the addressing section just the street or PO box, suburb, state, postcode. I told him it was ebays doing and I assumed ot had been organised with Australia Post but he had no knowledge of it nor did his manager the postmaster. So this makes me wonder just how useful even isvthis addition if AP don't even know about it? Has anyone else had comments on it from AP staff?
Message 1 of 38
Latest reply
37 REPLIES 37

Indeed. But there is nothing there that says you can't add a code in line with AP's policies. Said code doesn't obscure any of the relevant information and the label still has the name and address (if the buyer knows where they live, not a given) as supplied through Paypal.

You're clutching at straws. Not counting the fact that a savvy buyer will claim through the MBG, not Paypal, thus not triggering any Paypal seller protection. And that eBay code could well be the difference between being able to defend a MBG claim or not.

Message 11 of 38
Latest reply

I rang paypal the 1st time I saw the code and they advised if its not in my Paypal Notification email that adding it as the 1st address line would violate my seller protection policy. All my parcels with that line removed have reached their destination and tracking has been correct.

I also take a photo of each parcel with the mailing label that I send to each buyer for my own extra protection.

Message 12 of 38
Latest reply

I'm not convinced. Call centre staff are just as uninformed as post office staff. Until someone comes on here and says that they lost a case because of one of these codes, I'm leaving them in place as ebay requested.

On a similar note, has anyone actually lost a case in the last couple of years because they did something like fixing a suburb in an address? I'm also not convinced that the address on a label needs to 100% match character-for-character the details on Paypal. It just needs to be going to the same destination. I'm not cancelling a sale because a customer put Pendle Hill Sydney 2145 instead of Pendle Hill 2145.

Message 13 of 38
Latest reply

@ilce wrote:

I rang paypal the 1st time I saw the code and they advised if its not in my Paypal Notification email that adding it as the 1st address line would violate my seller protection policy. All my parcels with that line removed have reached their destination and tracking has been correct.

I also take a photo of each parcel with the mailing label that I send to each buyer for my own extra protection.

Photos mean nothing because you could be sending an empty box or you could unpack the box after taking the photo and not send it. I don't know why anyone sane would do that, but that's how the likes of PayPal see it. Some people think photos of parcels stand up, but for the most part, they don't.

Edit: as for the codes, my LPO commented and wondered if I'd be adding them or not, so clearly they knew about them. They always seem to be on top of things when it comes to changes of any kind. I print eBay labels, so it was going to be showing up on them.

Message 14 of 38
Latest reply

Hi Dazzle,  The Code works perfectly fine with MyPost Business

Message 15 of 38
Latest reply

With your logic any buyer could say they recieved an empty box and get their money back. Its not that simple. I take photos of what I'm sending and the parcel. The photo of the box has helped many times, for the buyer actually when they go to the post office and its been misplaced in the back with 100 others.

I worry about buyers items more than they do. Communication is the hugest priority IMO. Years of experiance has taught me that.
Message 16 of 38
Latest reply

Sometimes I wish I took photos for when i have sent the wrong item or the buyer disputes the quantity.

Message 17 of 38
Latest reply

Had my first issue with the new ebay id address. The ebay id had numbers in it and some how the postie misread the label and delivered it to the number on the ebay id, rather than the house number on the next line. Luckily the recipient was honest enough to deliver it to the right address. The seller wasn't happy and let me know in a message, so I'm expecting a neg at some stage in the near future.

Message 18 of 38
Latest reply

It states: Do not remove or interfere with this code, to ensure the validity of tracking information associated with the delivery.

The problem may be that eBay are only going to use that as a tracking number and if you can't supply it you

might/could lose an eBay MBG claim.

Message 19 of 38
Latest reply

Stupid idea, not liking it in the address line 

i seperate it and move it on to the empty reference section 

when i print the label on Auspost page.

also the code shows the purchase made from ebay with eBay:xxxx 

which is another stupid idea to show it on the lable ๐Ÿ‘Ž๐Ÿ‘Ž๐Ÿ‘Ž

Message 20 of 38
Latest reply