Is it my imagination pr is there something strange about this person's auctions?

I'm not sure if I'm allowed to put someone's ID here. Let me know if it's OK.

I was participating in an auction and decided to leave it the last minute to place a bet. The didn't have quite as much to place the bid as it went over my maximum bid. It went to $251, but I wanted to see whay yje final bid was. Yo say I was shocked would be an understatement, it shot up to $2,998 and was quickly followed by $2,999 to finish the auction.

That to me seemed a strange way to win a bid, plus gaving rwo different people overbid by so much struck me as a coincidence.  That is until I checked the seller's previous auctions.  Just the 3, all with glowing feedback and all 3 with final bids of almost $3,000 dor items not worth a 10th of those prices. As I said Strange, very strange.  Can anyone come up with an answer? Personally I have a feeling the seller may have no less than 3 accounts, maybe more. He decided the bids weren't high enough and bis in his own goods.  But wouldn't that mean he's have to pay the fees on what he bid. That's just a guess, any other ideas? I've never seen this kind of bidding previously.

Message 1 of 26
Latest reply
25 REPLIES 25

Re: Is it my imagination pr is there something strange about this person's auctions?

Bmw, if you follow the fb trail, I believe he owns both those id's

Message 11 of 26
Latest reply

Re: Is it my imagination pr is there something strange about this person's auctions?

Very very suss. The same 2 ID`s have run first and second on every sold item.

Message 12 of 26
Latest reply

I don't know about suss. Stupid, maybe. The point of shilling is to drive the price for a legitimate buyer up, not to win.

Message 13 of 26
Latest reply

I have just had a look at the sellers completed items.....everything has been sold for those ridiculous amounts.

Although there is nothing suspicious yet on the BBQ listing you could report the earlier completed listings as very suspicious.

Message 14 of 26
Latest reply

Fb trail says the buyer and seller are buying from each other 

Yeah, not suss just stupid

Either both id's belong to one person or they're playing stupid games.

OP's seller will be hit with a big ebay bill next month.

Message 15 of 26
Latest reply

Well the BBQ went for another $3,000 and I've been outbid on his steering wheel as well, let's see how that one goes.

Message 16 of 26
Latest reply

There would be no fees if they list on an ebay deal of 5 fee free listings, or sell and just pay a $1 deal. Gosh him and his mate with feedback of 50 just buy and sell between each other for $2999 or $3000. lol  Might go buy a new BBQ and see if I can sell to them for just $2000...as if!! Another good laugh on trust and safety on ebay

Message 17 of 26
Latest reply

**bleep** off this is the worst stupidity I have seen someone buying there own **bleep** hahahahaha

Message 18 of 26
Latest reply

I have also noticed something strange going on well to me it's strange and that is the bidder has made 3 bids in the last hour on 3 items from this seller but the seller only has 1 item listed so how is this possible?

Message 19 of 26
Latest reply

Not only did the Weber BBQ go for $3k but it was listed as not working and for parts only. The only thing I can think of is the seller has come up with a very clumsy way of building up sales history and positive feedback record.  Must assume he would cancel all the transactions to avoid paying fees unless the listings were part of the No Fee promotion.  

Message 20 of 26
Latest reply