Is it my imagination pr is there something strange about this person's auctions?

I'm not sure if I'm allowed to put someone's ID here. Let me know if it's OK.

I was participating in an auction and decided to leave it the last minute to place a bet. The didn't have quite as much to place the bid as it went over my maximum bid. It went to $251, but I wanted to see whay yje final bid was. Yo say I was shocked would be an understatement, it shot up to $2,998 and was quickly followed by $2,999 to finish the auction.

That to me seemed a strange way to win a bid, plus gaving rwo different people overbid by so much struck me as a coincidence.  That is until I checked the seller's previous auctions.  Just the 3, all with glowing feedback and all 3 with final bids of almost $3,000 dor items not worth a 10th of those prices. As I said Strange, very strange.  Can anyone come up with an answer? Personally I have a feeling the seller may have no less than 3 accounts, maybe more. He decided the bids weren't high enough and bis in his own goods.  But wouldn't that mean he's have to pay the fees on what he bid. That's just a guess, any other ideas? I've never seen this kind of bidding previously.

Message 1 of 26
Latest reply
25 REPLIES 25

Re: Is it my imagination pr is there something strange about this person's auctions?

3 accounts yes and maybe more and the brains of it all has been around since 2010 dumb and dumber plus the dumbest

Message 21 of 26
Latest reply

Re: Is it my imagination pr is there something strange about this person's auctions?

Wow, I thought Ebay had everything sewn up so people couldn't do these sort of things. I just had a kick in the pants, I put a bid on a digital camera, I've been buying the least expensive, but working point and shoots for some local special needs kids and when I bid up came a bunch of red text telling me the seller wasn't accepting bids from me or "other" reasons. 

I checked my complete history and can't find any reason for the seller to deny me a buy. Last time I checked my bank's money was legal tender, Why deny a bid a day before the auction is over and I'm the only one who's actually put a bid on it. I jusr wanted to increase my maximum bid.  What happens if I win, do they refuse to send it? Honestly I used to think Ebay was so easy to use, lately it seems as if you need to be a lawyer to operate.

Message 22 of 26
Latest reply

Now that's weird, I wrote a quick email to the seller and got no reply, but suddenly I can raise my maximum bid again. I'll be glad when Christmas buying is over 🙂

Message 23 of 26
Latest reply

His last auction ends later tonight.

Bmw, are you sure you want that steering wheel.    It's a stock photo.

Who knows what the actual one looks like - or if it even exists.

He must think he's hit the jackpot...........8 watchers.

Message 24 of 26
Latest reply

I was outbid yesterday, There's no way I could use it, maybe wrap it around the sellers neck for playing silly buggers on Ebay.  I know it's suppposed to be fun using it, but I don't think Ebay would be happy about $3,000 being paid for a broken wheely BBQ. Or a $100 CPU etc. etc.

I'll wait until I see what happens to the wheel and then I'll let Ebay in on his game, whatever it is. One thing's for sure it's not legit.

Message 25 of 26
Latest reply

Looks like they've toned it down a notch.

Still sold to either himself or a mate, but not $3,000 this time.

Just $112.50

It actually looked like he had a genuine bidder  hahahahaha

I don't think the wheel actually existed TBH

Message 26 of 26
Latest reply