Is it my imagination pr is there something strange about this person's auctions?

I'm not sure if I'm allowed to put someone's ID here. Let me know if it's OK.

I was participating in an auction and decided to leave it the last minute to place a bet. The didn't have quite as much to place the bid as it went over my maximum bid. It went to $251, but I wanted to see whay yje final bid was. Yo say I was shocked would be an understatement, it shot up to $2,998 and was quickly followed by $2,999 to finish the auction.

That to me seemed a strange way to win a bid, plus gaving rwo different people overbid by so much struck me as a coincidence.  That is until I checked the seller's previous auctions.  Just the 3, all with glowing feedback and all 3 with final bids of almost $3,000 dor items not worth a 10th of those prices. As I said Strange, very strange.  Can anyone come up with an answer? Personally I have a feeling the seller may have no less than 3 accounts, maybe more. He decided the bids weren't high enough and bis in his own goods.  But wouldn't that mean he's have to pay the fees on what he bid. That's just a guess, any other ideas? I've never seen this kind of bidding previously.

Message 1 of 26
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Is it my imagination pr is there something strange about this person's auctions?

I have just had a look at the sellers completed items.....everything has been sold for those ridiculous amounts.

Although there is nothing suspicious yet on the BBQ listing you could report the earlier completed listings as very suspicious.

View solution in original post

Message 14 of 26
Latest reply
25 REPLIES 25

Please forgive my bad typing, I'm flat on my back in bed after spinal surgery and it's hard to see the keyboard.
Message 2 of 26
Latest reply

@*bmw_rider* wrote:

You can't post the seller's ID but you can post the item number.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 3 of 26
Latest reply

@*bmw_rider* wrote:

I was participating in an auction and decided to leave it the last minute to place a bet. The didn't have quite as much to place the bid as it went over my maximum bid. It went to $251, but I wanted to see whay yje final bid was. Yo say I was shocked would be an understatement, it shot up to $2,998 and was quickly followed by $2,999 to finish the auction.

That to me seemed a strange way to win a bid, plus gaving rwo different people overbid by so much struck me as a coincidence.  That is until I checked the seller's previous auctions.  Just the 3, all with glowing feedback and all 3 with final bids of almost $3,000 dor items not worth a 10th of those prices. As I said Strange, very strange.  Can anyone come up with an answer? Personally I have a feeling the seller may have no less than 3 accounts, maybe more. He decided the bids weren't high enough and bis in his own goods.  But wouldn't that mean he's have to pay the fees on what he bid. That's just a guess, any other ideas? I've never seen this kind of bidding previously.

There are simple ways around paying the fees, but I wont give a tutorial here on how to do it.

Message 4 of 26
Latest reply

It does seem rather strange, however, I have always considered that if a person was rich, they could put a ridiculous bid on something rather than snipe and be assured that someone else won't bid that much, so they would be sure to get it, and really don't care about being pushed up in price because they are filthy rich anyway.

I don't see the point if the Seller is shill bidding and winning their own items back, unless they want the items to appear as "sold" at a high price, so that when they sell the items in future other buyers may see this and think the items are worth a lot more than they really are.

Surely eBay would catch on if they are bidding from another account onto their own items, or if the same people are bidding high amounts on their items.

I would suggest you bring it to eBay's attention, as it does sound rather suspicious.

Message 5 of 26
Latest reply

It's not a secret on how to avoid fees plenty of sellers do it and it's legit,all the seller has to do is say there's something wrong with a buyers address and the sale gets cancelled.

This is what all the shilling sellers do,I complained last week to ebay regarding this matter and the seller had to go through with their remaining auctions lol and haha lost out big time.

Message 6 of 26
Latest reply

Your right, very suspicious. He has another auction gooing at the moment and I placed a small bid on it.  Sure enough the exact same ID which won the other 3 auctions for a total of $9,000 has outbid me. Not for $3,000 but for a reasonable amount. I'll bet my next pay he'll take it out at the last minute for another $3,000 though. It's only one of those round BBQ on wheels which isn't working so if it gets a ridiculous bid I'll report it as suspicious and let Ebay figure it out. All your scenarios could apply, but judging by the amount involved he's not doing the seller any favors. If the seller is legit I'm surprised he hasn't barred the ID from bidding, I'd hate to think what the fees are on $9,000.

Also if there is a way to get out of paying fees, why hasn't Ebay shut it down? They're not exactly silly enough to allow such things to continue.If it's that well known I'm sure thery would have noticed a trend of some description, they've been in the game for long enough.

Message 7 of 26
Latest reply

Sorry I forrgot : The item number is 332944955711

Message 8 of 26
Latest reply

I can't see anything suspicious about the BBQ listing at the moment.

Far from you being outbid, it is you who is running the price up as the current high bid was place 4 days before your bid.

The current high bidder is not bidding exclusively on this seller's items and he has never retracted any bids.

Message 9 of 26
Latest reply

Agree Lyndal.

Sold items look very suss though.

Seller is using a stock photo, so lord knows what you'd get.

And I'd love to see them post it.

Message 10 of 26
Latest reply