Is it possible to make atleast $700 a week selling on eBay?

Hi,

I have sold on eBay before as a hobby & just to get rid of a few things.

My question is, to all you professional sellers out there, is it really possible to make eBay your full-time job and earn at least $700 a week?

I'm willing to put the work in and go through all the right channels (registering as a business, paying tax on my income etc), and am thinking of either selling jewellery or clothes & shoes - maybe a bit of all three.

I work a 38 hour a week job and make $650 after tax. I'm just wondering if I couldn't put in the same hours and earn around the same amount WITHOUT my crappy boss & useless workmates.

I'm willing to invest around $3000 on stock.

Also, to make $700 a week, I will need to list A LOT of items in one week, right? I've had marginal success selling on eBay before, but never had enough items to make a decent profit. (I think my best week was $200 profit on around 25 items).

Last question, with eBay selling fees being so high (& will probably go higher), is it worth it?

Successful sellers, please be kind enough to share your thoughts.

Message 1 of 49
Latest reply
48 REPLIES 48

Re: Is it possible to make atleast $700 a week selling on eBay?

Without giving out pecific, with 70 items listed and $1700+ of sales a week, 30 orders+, it's possible to make $700+ of profit. But you need to know what kind of items to sell and those with more than 100%-300%+ profit margin. After that you just have to make sure you keep up stock and keep adding new stuff.
Message 41 of 49
Latest reply

I doubt that a $700 target would be sufficient for the OP now....too much has changed in the 6 years since the thread was started....the fees have increased enormously for a start.

Message 42 of 49
Latest reply

mark2ui
Community Member

I can understand where you are going with this,**bleep**py boss traffic rush hours uncertainty of your job,

like any job or business its all cut throat out there,At least if you keep your day job for now its a lot less risk than some of these shops you see open then close in less than 6 months,

i always wonder what they where thinking god knows what shopping centres charge shops for leasing the shop.

Dont put all your eggs into one basket,open spotify,instagram,gumtree,craigs list ,work with amazon,aliexpress,find links to chinese companies genuine not scammers,

I would stay well awy from the 3 YOU MENTIONED.

open 2 separate ebay accounts mesage me and ill tell you why this wil help big time.

Finding a niche and finding suppliers is the hardest.

Just remember you could be building your succesfull ebay store up to $700 a week then ebay may suspend your store either through complaints or other reasons leaving you with no mney or sales, this happens oftern on ebay and amazon,

build up a business on other platforms like i said if this is your bread and butter make sure you are also working with ebays competitors.

Just remember work SMART not hard

Message 43 of 49
Latest reply

Haven't you grasped the fact that she_said_yes_jewellery started this thread on the boards in 2012..........................and by now has probably worked out how to mamage on eBay ??????

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 44 of 49
Latest reply

Sorry to bump this again, and with something of no use / value to anyone else Smiley Embarassed but my gosh that was a blast from the past. 

How things have changed since I posted here last time. Smiley Surprised

Message 45 of 49
Latest reply

Nice to see that she_said_yes_ Jewellery is still succesfully selling jewellery on ebay. Probably not making the $700 per week though, so hope she stayed with the day job.

Message 46 of 49
Latest reply

Very easy, I only sell one type of product and make about 50% profit after ebay and paypal fees.

Its just about fining the right item!

Message 47 of 49
Latest reply

Everyone here makes some valid points about why or why not but I think you should go for it, $700 profit a week will be difficult to achieve but it is certainly possible
I only sell jewellery and have a reasonable amount of same a week.

I would suggest quality over quantity. The eBay market is saturated with **bleep**py cheap jewellery, it’s also saturated with quality jewellery but if you list unique jewellery, it’ll definitely sell; given time that is

Good luck
Message 48 of 49
Latest reply

Good grief!

You've replied to someone who asked the question SEVEN AND A HALF YEARS AGO

Please don't bump ancient threads.

Message 49 of 49
Latest reply