Is it safe to share my bank customer ID and password with eBay?

4*sale
Community Member

As eBay sellers you've all received the "Getting paid on eBay has changed" email from ebay and tried to set up payment through Payout settings. To create payment account you need to ad your bank, eBay asked  meto use my customer ID and password. My question here is it safe to share my bank customer ID and password with eBay?

Thanks a lot.

Message 1 of 50
Latest reply
49 REPLIES 49

Re: Is it safe to share my bank customer ID and password with eBay?

4*sale
Community Member

Apparently I'm the only one who received this email as no one has responded to my question yet or confirmed it. Please share your experience if you received the same email.

Thanks a lot!

Message 11 of 50
Latest reply

Apparently you're not reading the replies.

You don't need an email, as you have found. It happens through the eBay page.

I can't remember if I got an email specifically requiring my bank password, but I doubt it. I definitely got several telling me to register.

Message 12 of 50
Latest reply

I do read replies but still didn't get the answer.
The email received from eBay was last week and it says:

-------------------------------------------

Getting paid on eBay is changing, take action now.
eBay now manages the end-to-end selling experience, including payments.

This means:
โ€ข You get paid directly to your bank account, not your PayPal account, regardless of how the buyer chooses to pay. eBay sends payouts of available funds to your bank account within 2 business days after confirming your buyerโ€™s payment.2
โ€ข
โ€ข eBay deducts fees and expenses related to your sales from your funds prior to payout. No more PayPal payment processing fees or separate monthly fee payments!
โ€ข
โ€ข You can list even more items for free!3 Weโ€™ve increased the 40 free listings a month with 250,000 free listings a month - ready to use as soon as you update your details.

Learn more here.

Itโ€™s important you update your account details as soon as possible. eBay will require all sellers to register for the new payments experience in 2021. After 18 June your ability to relist or revise existing listings or create new listings will be disabled, and we may remove your Good 'Til Cancelled listings.
Please disregard this email if youโ€™ve already updated your account details.
Get started โž”

--------------------------------

I forgot to mention that eBay also requested my drivers licence ID number.
Also please find the screenshot in this link:

https://i.postimg.cc/dQpS3WFW/link-a-bank-account-4.png

Message 13 of 50
Latest reply

Provide details as eBay have requested or you will no longer be able to receive payments from buyers.

This is not a scam, and I have no idea why another poster @ message 4 has suggested it may be.

It is from eBay as you can see with the notification you have posted here and as other experienced sellers who have also had to follow this protocol have also advised

Message 14 of 50
Latest reply

I know it's from eBay and not a scam ,I've responded to them but the thing is I'm asking any eBay seller if they're recently experiencing the same. I have uploaded a screenshot which shows the window where you must enter you customer ID and password like you're giving your internet banking info. To sum up, I was waiting for someone with similar issue who can share their experience.

By the way I wouldn't be worried if eBay has similar payment setup as P.Pal.

Thank you

Message 15 of 50
Latest reply

Banks very firmly instruct customers to not give their passwords to ANYONE. They usually tell you to memorise and not keep a written record, also.  Therefore, I suggest you contact your bank.  I would have thought demanding someone's bank account password would be illegal.  

Message 16 of 50
Latest reply

Its not a person on the phone asking for your details but a login program that verifies your account. I used POLi yesterday to pay for airline tickets to avoid the credit card surcharge. I have been using this system for years and it is now owned by Aust Post. Not sure what ebay are using but if you have logged into ebay and it is from their system and not a link from an email I do  not see an issue.

Message 17 of 50
Latest reply

I was waiting for someone with similar issue who can share their experience.

I have, except I didn't see it as an issue, and did share. No problems for me.

Message 18 of 50
Latest reply

(Just 'cos you're the last post davewill)

I have just signed up for MP.  I was reluctant to do so on the basis of bank password.  BUT I WASN'T ASKED FOR IT.  (not yelling, just emphasizing).   Just Driver's Licence no., and the bank account I wanted registered for payments.

So, I'm wondering what the reason is that some are being asked to provide passwords, copy's of bank statements, etc.?  Could it be to do with the length of time a member has been with eBay, the amount and frequency of defects, and other bits on the seller dashboard.

Does anyone have any idea why it doesn't seem to be a level playing field for all.

Message 19 of 50
Latest reply

What have we been told by all the security company's and Banks Etc ??

NEVER GIVE OUT YOUR PASSWORDS

Message 20 of 50
Latest reply