Isn't that going to "wipe" out a large number of Chinese sellers?

The defect rate is the percentage of transactions that have one or more of the following transaction-related defects – the top predictors that a buyer will buy less or leave eBay altogether:

• Detailed seller rating of 1, 2 or 3 for Item as described,(there are a number of those).
  • Detailed seller rating of 1 for Postage time,(it's why they have free postage).
  • Negative or neutral Feedback,(they get lots of those)
  • Return initiated for a reason that indicates the item was not as described,(they are safe from those as they generally offer a
  • a partial refund instead)
  • PayPal Purchase Protection or eBay Money Back Guarantee case opened for an item not received or an item not as described (only used for US, UK and German seller standards programs)
  • Seller-cancelled transactions

Starting with the evaluation on 20 August, to meet the minimum standard to sell on eBay.com.au, you can't have more than 5% of transactions with one more transaction defects over the most recent evaluation period. Transactions with buyers from Australia and overseas (except US, UK and Germany) are counted.

What are the standards?

Top Rated Seller
All sellers
Maximum defect rate2%
(from at least 5 different buyers
5%
(from at least 8 different buyers)
Closed cases without seller
resolution
<=0.3%<=0.3%
Transactions & sales100 sales and US$1000NA
Listing requirements for additional eBay premium service benefits  
  • 0-1 day handling
YesNA
  • Free shipping
YesNA
  • Fast shipping
YesNA
  • 30 day money back
    returns
YesNA

So in effect that should mean that any TRS that falls below 98% will get punished?

A high number of them will be Chinese sellers.

Will it be enforced or will they have an out? 

Message 1 of 46
Latest reply
45 REPLIES 45

wouldn't it depend on what site the member is a member of?

I mean, this applies to me cos I am a member of eBay Australia. Does it also apply to members of other sites where it hasn't been rolled out?

I've never sold to the US, but they have this over there, and I presume that if I did sell over there, that even though the sale was on that site, their system wouldn't apply to me iykwim.

Does China have the defect system?

Some people can go their whole lives and never really live for a single minute.
Message 2 of 46
Latest reply

I'm very interested in this new system.  My example table of the new defect stats came up yesterday and 1 Case Opened for Item Not Received came up - very interesting but also VERY annoying as I approached eBay about this at the time.  It was from a customer in Russia who had not allowed sufficient time for delivery and just opened a case.  It was a Registered International Large Letter, so I followed the Tracking all the way, checking with Aust. Post every few days for up-to-date info and constantly updated the Buyer.  In the end, he of course received his item and left positive Feedback - but the Case Opened will now go against the Seller ???

And, it showed 3 by memory - 1,2 or 3 Ratings for Item Not as Described, yet I have never had a complaint from a Buyer or a neg  ???

Maybe I'm too old and silly, but I think this new idea could be flawed - I have a 100% Feedback Rating and want to keep it that way, let's face it, we work hard to achieve it !!!

Just my thoughts . . . . . . .

Message 3 of 46
Latest reply

I was thinking about the same thing the other day. Currently, the sheer volume of sales has been a saving grace for many, as they can keep up with the minimum requirements for selling without restrictions, or crippling ones, anyway. Item as described and postage time are often the only DSRs I can rate if I buy from a Chinese seller, and they are probably where they often get hit the most in terms of low ratings, so it will be interesting to see if or how the 2% - 5% thing works out for them, as a positive with low ratings is going to affect things a lot more, and any FB / DSR that counted as a defect but was revised, will still be counted as a defect even if it was updated to a positive with 5's across the board. 

There's not enough information about the new seller standards in Australia to get a good idea of how it's going to work here yet 😞 but there's quite a lot of info on the US site - interestingly, the feedback percentage itself is no longer going to be a determining factor for whether a seller is TRS or not in the US, only the defect rate. 

>"I've never sold to the US, but they have this over there, and I presume that if I did sell over there, that even though the sale was on that site, their system wouldn't apply to me iykwim."

It does. If you list on another site, all their rules and regulations apply to you / your listings as far as seller standards go. If you list on the Australian site but make your listings available to OS buyers, same thing in so far as what buyers in the US see (that is, if you meet the Oz standards but don't meet the US standards, the US standards will apply to your listings as they are seen over there, if they are seen, that is - they won't be if you don't meet the minimum standards). 

Message 4 of 46
Latest reply

This is the new defect system for Aus so it will affect any member that is registered on this site.

It doesn't matter where they are located as long as they are registered on this site.

From what I have been able to determine from the US boards is that the Chinese sellers will still have this showing for all the

Aus transactions,(as they sell on this site they have to abide by this site).

Message 5 of 46
Latest reply

Aus transactions,(as they sell on this site they have to abide by this site).

Ah Okay (tongue in cheek)

They will abide by thier own rules (and ebay will let them)

They make up over 50% of the .au site, no way is eBay going to give a toss about a little 'infringement' now and then that they can't possibly police.

You can't please all the people all the time, so now I just please myself

Message 6 of 46
Latest reply

As I pointed out on another thread don't do the right thing and refund a buyer via paypal if a parcel gets lost in the mail because the % goes against your cancelled transactions even if those transactions were not cancelled via ebay. This is how it is classed below.

Canceled transactions
Cancelled transactions (out of stock or sold to someone else)
0.17% 2

Message 7 of 46
Latest reply

The Chinese will probably reevaluatae the situation so it meets the minimum demands anyways...

Message 8 of 46
Latest reply

@harley_babes_hoard wrote:

As I pointed out on another thread don't do the right thing and refund a buyer via paypal if a parcel gets lost in the mail because the % goes against your cancelled transactions even if those transactions were not cancelled via ebay. This is how it is classed below.

Canceled transactions
Cancelled transactions (out of stock or sold to someone else)
0.17% 2

How do you refund them then?

Photobucket
Message 9 of 46
Latest reply

IF they make an INR clain it is a defect strike. I dont think it even matters if they win it either.

The biggest hit I'm taking is DSR 3 ratings which were much higher than I thought. But these are the hidden passive aggressive hits. When DSRs become visibly linked to transaction, this may reduce the use of the hidden mark down, hence reduce the 3 ratings.

-------------------------------

ASSUMPTION IS THE MOTHER OF ALL STUFF UPS!!
Message 10 of 46
Latest reply