Item returned & refunded - what about ebay fees?

starby001
Community Member

Hi,

I have an item that a buyer is returning for a refund (another ID) however she has been most troublesome (she's very new to ebay and is unaware of the basic courtesies of tranactions - lack of communication, starting a paypal dispute 24 hours after purchasing the item etc) and I wondering if its up to her as to whether I get my ebay fees refunded? 

The payment was via paypal so there is no problem there, I just refunded her money once the item was returned.  But what happens with the ebay fees I've been charged for the transaction?  They are still on my account and the only way I can think of to have them returned is to send her a cancellation for the transaction.  What happens if she declines the cancellation?  Do I still get stuck with the transaction fees?

Message 1 of 20
Latest reply
19 REPLIES 19

Re: Item returned & refunded - what about ebay fees?

starby001
Community Member

oh and I should mention, we have no communication from her.  She received the item and without a word to us just started the paypal dispute....

Message 11 of 20
Latest reply

Have you thought about calling them?

Sounds like they either have NFI or are just plain odd-either way,a phonecall may help YOU suss the situation out a bit better.

Message 12 of 20
Latest reply

starby001
Community Member

HA!  Fox, you gave me a great laugh, thank you!  😄  I think you were right the first time....they have NFI.  Most of the negatives they've left have been for "diamond" rings they won for $15 or less and now they're leaving negatives because they're not real diamonds.....see, NFI.  Did they seriously think they were winning REAL diamonds for $15?!?

Message 13 of 20
Latest reply

$15 for a diamond ring?

Maybe you should offer to send them a cd of Kylie Minogue singing 'I should be so lucky ' ;\

Message 14 of 20
Latest reply

starby001
Community Member

HAHAHA.  I just want to shake them!  and with all those negatives....I feel sorry for some of the sellers.  If they're anything like us their ebay rep could be ruined with just one undeserved negative.  We don't sell much on ebay anymore so a negative feedback will pretty much put us out of action for 12 months.  I don't know anyone who would buy from someone with a feedback percentage of less than 50%!:|    Some new buyers just have no idea....

Message 15 of 20
Latest reply

I would not expect a real diamond for fifteen bucks either but if it was listed as being real and was in the fine jewellery category they would definitely get a neg from me!

Far too many sellers are getting away with inaccurate and miss categorised listings and as ebay are slow to act, if they ever do, about the only way to discourage them is to leave negs.

I do not have a blanket refund on return policy as it just encourages buyers like yours, I promise a full refund including return post if I am at fault but for change of mind a refund of item price only on return. Unless I receive incontrovertible proof in the form of a photo or condition report  I would fight any Paypal dispute to the bitter end and I haven't lost one yet!

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 16 of 20
Latest reply

Just read all of the comments on this subject.

So how do you get the buyer to proove the item is not as described?

I have just endured a PP dispute (my first as a seller) with a new buyer who opened first a INR dispute with no communication to me & then after proof of postage from me, immediately opened a INAD dispute.

The buyer stated my item was damaged, smelly and not labelled.

I know for a fact I would never sell an item in that condition.

How can I get them to proove it?

Anyway - to keep the peace I agreed to the PP refund etc but on return the item has obviously to me ,been worn and sent back grotty, perfume stained and cigarette smelling

I'm mortified as I know they'll leave me negative feedback.

They have a feedback score of 1 - which was mine because they paid immediately.

Unfortunately, they have scammed us all and will get away with it.

I'm a very disillusioned seller now 😞

Message 17 of 20
Latest reply

So the buyer returned and got a refund for a NAD item that you sold them. Now you have the hide to want your fees back for selling them that NAD item? If i was the buyer i would decline a cancellation offer and leave you a neg. It seems the item arrived within 24 hours, she noticed it was not As described and opened a dispute. The buyer has the right to do this dont forget.

By refunding you have admitted the item was NAD. Now why should ebay give you your fees back? As far as both ebay and PP would be concerned you were in the wrong.

Message 18 of 20
Latest reply

I listed a trampoline on ebay a month ago or so and forgot about it because been really busy also funeral and other important stuff. now the item has been sold and refunded but i’ve still been charged $100 and i really need that $100 back especially in times right now. 

please help me out

Message 19 of 20
Latest reply

Other members cannot refund you/give you money

BUT we certainly can help you

You have given out your email address on a public forum for every scammer who sees it to take advantage of

ANYONE who emails you CLAIMING to be eBay are LYING. eBay staff do NOT read here

Nobody but a scammer is going to contact you that way

I have asked a mod to remove it, but they usually take several hours to respond

This thread is almost ten years old, it is better to start your own thread which is about your own issue

You can contact eBay and *ask* if the will refund your fees

I don't like your chances (there is no special treatment for anyone, eBay do not care about a person's situation/circumstances/etc) so there is no point in me telling you otherwise and getting your hopes up, because they just don't

But you can try, just don't expect the outcome you want

You might get a nice CS staff who grants a one off/you got lucky refund

Message 20 of 20
Latest reply