Item returned & refunded - what about ebay fees?

starby001
Community Member

Hi,

I have an item that a buyer is returning for a refund (another ID) however she has been most troublesome (she's very new to ebay and is unaware of the basic courtesies of tranactions - lack of communication, starting a paypal dispute 24 hours after purchasing the item etc) and I wondering if its up to her as to whether I get my ebay fees refunded? 

The payment was via paypal so there is no problem there, I just refunded her money once the item was returned.  But what happens with the ebay fees I've been charged for the transaction?  They are still on my account and the only way I can think of to have them returned is to send her a cancellation for the transaction.  What happens if she declines the cancellation?  Do I still get stuck with the transaction fees?

Message 1 of 20
Latest reply
19 REPLIES 19

the only way I can think of to have them returned is to send her a cancellation for the transaction.  What happens if she declines the cancellation?  Do I still get stuck with the transaction fees?

That is correct, on all accounts. The best thing to do is let them know before you send the cancellation request, so that they are aware one will be coming and how to respond to it.

eBay will advise them on the message they receive not to agree unless they have already received the refund, so I generally send a message (after refunding) confirming that it's been issued and in order for my records to be accurate, I am sending through the request to cancel the transaction  and it would be sincerely appreciated if they could agree to the cancellation at their earliest convenience.

Message 2 of 20
Latest reply

starby001
Community Member

thanks for your response digital*ghost.  that's what I was afraid of.  I can see us getting stuck with the ebay fees for this one.  She's been very difficult to deal with, even though we advised in the listing we have a 7 day no questions asked money back guarantee.  The fees were less than $50 but its still frustrating when we didn't do anything wrong.

Message 3 of 20
Latest reply

If they refuse the cancellation request, your best bet is to call eBay and explain the situation - they will be able to see that the item was returned and refunded, and will hopefully credit the fees back to your account (they have done so for others in the past 😉 ).

Message 4 of 20
Latest reply

starby001
Community Member

Thank you.  I'll give them a call if it comes to that.  Thanks for your time, I appreciate it.

Message 5 of 20
Latest reply

I agree with digital ghost. I have had FVF refunded in the past where it can be seen via communications the buyer requested a refund and it was paid. Hopefully the buyer will agree to the cancellation request.

Message 6 of 20
Latest reply

How can anyone open a dispute 24 hours after purchasing and presumably before their item has arrived ? Remind Paypal about that.

TCT
Message 7 of 20
Latest reply

If the buyer doesn't reply to your cancellation request for 7 days you can close the case and the transaction will be cancelled. So you can get your FVF back.

Photobucket
Message 8 of 20
Latest reply

How can anyone open a dispute 24 hours after purchasing and presumably before their item has arrived ? Remind Paypal about that.

FVF have nothing to do with PP, they are eBay fees.  PP fees are automatically refunded when refund is issued.

000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

Voltaire: “Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities” .
Message 9 of 20
Latest reply

starby001
Community Member

''How can anyone open a dispute 24 hours after purchasing and presumably before their item has arrived ? Remind Paypal about that''

We posted the item the day she bought and paid for it.  It arrived the next day and she started a paypal dispute saying it is significantly not as described (which is not the case, but it makes no difference to us as we would have gladly refunded if she had just emailed us without the dispute). 

Thanks for all your info.  Its appreciated. 

We have just checked the feedback she's been leaving others.   in the last 30 days she has bought 74 items and in the last 11 days has left 13 negative feedbacks!  Guess we know what's coming for us then.....sigh

Message 10 of 20
Latest reply