Item sold via "Purchase Now" - buyer not responding

ozrock44
Community Member

I recently had an item sell very quickly at the "buy it now" price which ended my auction before anyone had a chance to bid.

The buyer is completely non responsive.  I understand that 4 days is the accepted wait time before I can take the matter further?

I have sent polite reminders each day, just no response at all.  Very odd.

Message 1 of 16
Latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

Re: Item sold via "Purchase Now" - buyer not responding

I worry that requiring instant payment stops people from going through with it at all... not just the ones who would end up not paying anyway.

Also doesn't give people a chance to combine purchases (pain if I have to refund postage difference after, and more messy for buyer)

Message 11 of 16
Latest reply

I don't think Instant Payment is ever a deterrent if a buyer really wants an item, and if they don't reaalllyy want it, would you really want them to click the Buy-It-Now button anyway?

You're right about the inability to combine postage presenting an issue. Then again, if you were really worried about that, couldn't you always offer free postage just for the items where you have a Buy-It-Now attached?

Message 12 of 16
Latest reply

@ozrock44 wrote:

I recently had an item sell very quickly at the "buy it now" price which ended my auction before anyone had a chance to bid.

The buyer is completely non responsive.  I understand that 4 days is the accepted wait time before I can take the matter further?

I have sent polite reminders each day, just no response at all.  Very odd.

I know it's frustrating to have to wait for payment, but I don't think sending reminders each day is good policy, the seller will definitely feel hassled.

Ebay sends them an automatic email when they purchase an item, and a reminder after 2 days if they haven't paid.   There is no need for you to do the same.       This means they will have received about 6 emails by now!

Just wait the 4 days, if they haven't paid, open a nonpaying dispute, they will probably pay then.

Worse case scenario?    they don't pay, after 4 days, you close the dispute, the buyer gets a strike, you get your final value fees back, and you can relist.    Don't be tempted to leave feedback of any kind.

Message 13 of 16
Latest reply

I have now opened an unpaid case.  I'll come back and let you know how it goes.  Thanks again for all your feedback.

Message 14 of 16
Latest reply

Today I closed the case (sounds detective style doesn't it).  Never got my payment and the buyer hasn't replied to anything.

Last thing to happen now is refund of fees. 

Message 15 of 16
Latest reply

You should have closed to case after 4 days, not given them another 2 weeks. You should have got an email from eBay stating the case was closed and you have received a FVF credit.

Don't forget to add them to your blocked list if you haven't already!

Message 16 of 16
Latest reply