Last second bidding

ozrock44
Community Member

Hello sellers

For the first time in my eBay selling experience I had an item purchased in the last few seconds.  I watched the auction very carefully during the final minute, and I am certain the sole bid was placed in the last 1 or 2 seconds.  The end result was my item selling for 0.99.  It's my fault for selecting that as my start price.  I just wanted to share this experience, perhaps it will help others.

Even though eBay suggest you use $0.99 "to attract interest" there is a potential for your item to be sold for virtually nothing.

Good luck with your selling friends.

Message 1 of 17
Latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

Re: Last second bidding

Even though eBay suggest you use $0.99 "to attract interest

They should get rid of that pop up suggestion it is very misleading. Sellers may not make a profit if it sells for 99c.. FVF on item cost & postage (small parcel rate $7-8 minimum), paypal fees 30c + 2.4%

Message 11 of 17
Latest reply

ozrock - are you aware of ebay's online postage labels? The cost of  postage for 500g  satchels ($7.15), and 3 kg satchels ($11.70) is lower than buying them over the counter at the Post Office. You do have to buy the actual satchels themselves first online in packets for a few cents each.

There is also a larger 5kg satchel you can get from Aust Post that is around $16-$17.

Message 12 of 17
Latest reply

Even better, until 31 December ebay have a postage discount promotion:

What is the promotion?

• A 10% rebate on the postage costs for Australia Post Parcel Post and Australia Post Express Post assessed parcels up to and including 500g purchased through the eBay label printing platform during the Promotion Period and capped at 100 per user per month (the “Promotion”).    

So on assessed 500g parcels you only pay $6.48.  You can use your own packaging or continue to use the ebay satchels (I've been lodging them for months at the PO with no problems). 

Message 13 of 17
Latest reply

I did exactly the same thing to try and increase "foot traffic" and hopefully sales.  I also offered free postage.  Needless to say the jacket went for .99 cents.  I quickly learnt from that experience.... no more 99 cent auctions!!  And to add insult to injury no feedback was left.Smiley Mad  

Message 14 of 17
Latest reply

It's certainly a different ball game now ..... and I don't agree with eBay's theory of 99cents attracting buyers.

I recently (very foolishly) took their advice and offered free postage (as they advised, 'this attracts more buyers').   I added just a measly $1 to all of my items and free postage ...  AND GUESS WHAT ..... I still only had the one bid on my items and actually lost on my sales ...... after a week or so, I've gone back to MY way.

Just list the item at the price you'd be happy with .... charge postage to cover yourself .... and if you have some extra bidding, all the better.

Do it YOUR way .... that's the best way to attract bidders  🙂

Message 15 of 17
Latest reply

ozrock44
Community Member

I just wanted to say thanks for all the feedback and constructive ideas.  I was kind of expecting to get slammed for this posting but you guys are all very supportive and heplful.  It makes a nice change compared to some online forums and social media.

Thanks everyone and I wish you much selling success in the lead up to xmas !

Russell

Message 16 of 17
Latest reply

When you delivered the 99c item to the buyer, did you resend an invoice removing the postage cost? If not, you will be paying fees on postage that wasn't paid. If you haven't marked the item as paid for, send an invoice and remove the postage, that way you are only paying fees on the 99c and not the postage cost. 

Good to see you have changed your starting prices. I know in the early days I got burnt big time by having 99c starts and everything selling with only one bid. The days of bidding wars are over, so always start with the minimum you are prepared to accept.

Message 17 of 17
Latest reply