Make Offer option in messages

Ha anyone ever used the Make Offer function in ebay messages when a buyer asks a question?  Is it true that they are only offered the Immediate Payment option if they accept the offer?  

The reason I'm asking is that a buyer is claiming they were forced to pay immediately with paypal even though I do not have instant payment set up and have bank deposit option in checkout.  I've never been through the process as a buyer either.

Too late for this transaction, but if it's true I won't use it again.

Message 1 of 5
Latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Re: Make Offer option in messages

I've only used it a couple of times, and from memory (not entirely reliable), they get 24 hours during which the listing is off the table.

If someone emails me with an offer, I usually amend the listing to accept an offer that I'm happy with, and then email the buyer and tell thaem that I have amended the listing to accept whatever, and they can proceed or not. That way, the item isn't off the boards while somebody dithers around.

Cheers,

Marina.

Message 2 of 5
Latest reply

Thanks Marina.  I usually do that too but this seemed so much easier at the time - no revising etc. I didn't know the listing was made invisible in the meantime.  Will maybe do some fishing and see if I can get another seller to offer the same scenario so I can experience it on the other side.

Message 3 of 5
Latest reply

I've only used it a couple of times as well, and unfortunately don't know if immediate payment was required as both times were a while ago now, and they were to a regular buyer who always pays straight away anyway. 

The info page says "If the other member accepts your offer, you're both required to complete the transaction. The buyer will be prompted to check out and pay and you'll be required to send the item." which gives the impression that it's the same as when a buyer confirms a BIN, so they can accept the offer and pay later, otherwise I'd think it'd say the buyer will be required to check out.... but this is eBay. 

Message 4 of 5
Latest reply

@black*poppy wrote:

I didn't know the listing was made invisible in the meantime.  

It shouldn't be, i.e. the item, or offered quantity, aren't reserved or anything, same as with the normal best offer function - someone else can buy the item(s) at full price and the offer is immediately cancelled.

Message 5 of 5
Latest reply