Member behaviour standards dropping?

A few months ago I decided to have a clutter clearout at home, an annual thing for me so decided to list about a dozen items for sale on Ebay.

My items are always listed at prices well  below what other sellers ask for the same items.

This tactic used to guarantee a quick sale and lots of interest from buyers.

Despite this only half my items have sold and with one exception sold for absurdly low prices, practically free.

Worse still I have received lots of bogus "offers" from members who wanted the more valuable items for maybe 10% of their real value.

And lastly I have experienced a dramatic increase in non paying bidders for the items that did get a bid.

I'd summarise the situation such that the buyers/bidders that are cruising Ebay currently are there to steal and if they can't steal they sabotage auctions with bids they have no intention of honouring

This apalling behaviour on the part of so called buyers goes unchecked by Ebay who at worst issue a slap on the wrist to such deadbeats.

I no longer view Ebay as a useful way to sell anything 😞

Message 1 of 28
Latest reply
27 REPLIES 27

Re: Member behaviour standards dropping?

I've come late to the party and have had a look at the chair listing. I never saw the previous versions mentioned.

I am a buyer these days. I totally agree with others in that it is always a mistake to mention why you are relisting. Buyers don't need to know and if you don't mention it, they may not even realise it IS relisted.

You don't want to come over as angry. Never a good first impression.

I recently had the experience of looking up a fairy fantasy photographer (on his own website, not ebay) and I am sure his work is great but several times in his spiel there were lines such as 'children have to be kept under control at all times or you will be shown the door.' I personally found it confrontational and a turn off. Not that I have unruly kids, I am a grandparent. But the same with ebay ads. 

I did sell once and my advice would be some of what others mentioned

-stick to  product description, no wandering off into tales of trouble with past bidders etc

- stick to only your item description, no need to bring in other similar items UNLESS yours is the dearer or better, improved version.

-use several photos.

As for the chairs, I think the present photo is good, the price is very good, I am surprised you haven't had a bid.

My only thought though (as a buyer) after reading that ad would be that they were not your chairs. You say you believe that only one chair has been used and the other 2 look like they haven't been used at all.

If you were the owner, you would surely know.

That's the bit that seemed a bit off kilter to me as you had said you had been having an annual clean out/declutter.

I think auctions are fine. Pick up items I do think are always going to get more buyers who don't follow through with the sale as it involves effort. Even back in the early days, our pick up items were always the most likely to cause problems.

If someone lets you down, just go through the unpaid item claim route. They'll get a strike, you'll get fees back. You could also try other sales sites like FB but if you think ebay's bad, it's a whole new low level on there, believe me!

Good luck!

Message 21 of 28
Latest reply

"If you were the owner, you would surely know."

Non pertinent facts are not to be mentioned I'm told.

The chairs came from a deceased estate, a distant relative I was not in frequent contact with so EXACTLY what she did with them isn't known to me. I can only deduce obvious things from examining them.

The price you saw was not fine, it was absurdly low but its what Ebay was telling me to use as of last week.

The price started out a long time ago below what other Ebayers were charging but not painfully cheap. Each time an item fails to sell Ebay tells you to chop the price  so as the months rolled by that happened until it hit the crazy give away price you saw. The only interest at any price was an illegal offer and a non paying mongrel.

I will repurpose them. They are no longer for sale.

My listings are now all cancelled.

Message 22 of 28
Latest reply

Thanks for the time/effort you put into that reply 🙂

Since Ebay threatened me I have known how to deal with illegal offers but thanks anyway.

However well intentioned your price guide is and would have been achievable in days gone by is now from my experiences superseded by a new less than rosy reality.

Message 23 of 28
Latest reply

If you had any idea you wouldn't be dropping your price every month. eBay suggestions rarely mirror reality, and following them reflects on YOUR business acumen.

Message 24 of 28
Latest reply

"eBay suggestions rarely mirror reality"

Yes, true, Ebay has been losing touch with reality for some time, very sad.

Though you should be careful not to share this fact with a true believer.

Their fanatical devotion to Ebay doctrine does not allow them to be objective.

In their eyes Ebay can do no wrong and they will attack instantly and without pity anyone with opposing views.

Message 25 of 28
Latest reply

f you were the owner, you would surely know."

Non pertinent facts are not to be mentioned I'm told.

The chairs came from a deceased estate, a distant relative I was not in frequent contact with so EXACTLY what she did with them isn't known to me. I can only deduce obvious things from examining them.

The price you saw was not fine, it was absurdly low but its what Ebay was telling me to use as of last week.

The price started out a long time ago below what other Ebayers were charging but not painfully cheap. Each time an item fails to sell Ebay tells you to chop the price  so as the months rolled by that happened until it hit the crazy give away price you saw. The only interest at any price was an illegal offer and a non paying mongrel.

I will repurpose them. They are no longer for sale.

My listings are now all cancelled.

----------------------------------

I wasn't trying to upset you & sorry if it came across that way.

It seems I was correct though in that the chairs were not personally yours.

That is fine.

I've sold deceased family estate items too in the past.

When I said not to put off topic stuff in an ad, I was referring more to things such as comments about non paying bidders or descriptions of other brands or models that are not actually being sold.

It's not a blanket statement though. As I said earlier, if you were selling anything that was updated or an improved model  or better quality than similar looking things, then that can be worth a mention.

With regard to price, go your own way, don't rely on ebay to guide you.

In my experience (admittedly a while in the past) they are only concerned in making a sale and getting a commission. They don't know or care about your situation or if you are making a profit. For example, in the past, they used to recommend we start auctions at 99c. The listing fees were admittedly cheaper but the trouble with it was if something sold at that price or even slightly above it, it was more work than it was worth.

These days if I had to list, I'd be putting what i thought was a fair price on my items. Maybe not the top price but a price that was reasonable, that I would be happy to sell for.

I know it can be a ridiculous thing but sometimes if something is marked down cheap, people do wonder if a dearer version is 'better' and it may not be, but it is how people think.

Just because something doesn't sell on ebay straight away, it doesn't mean you need to lower your price, my advice would be to give it another couple of tries.

Non paying bidders are a pain but there are still genuine buyers on ebay so don't lose heart.

Message 26 of 28
Latest reply

I agree with the other members observations that ebay has changed dramatically in recent years. It used to be an auction site but now most things are buy it now. Many people, who used to get multiple bids on auctions, are finding that they only get one bid (if any at all).

I've learned it is now not the place to flip items quickly. My strategy is to put a reasonable price on an item and wait. Everything sells eventually for the price I want. This week alone I have sold 3 items that have been listed for 3, 4 & 7 years (along with dozens f items listed more recently) . I realise these timeframes won't suit everybody- but this is now the reality of selling on ebay.

Message 27 of 28
Latest reply

Couldnt agree more that member standards have reached rock bottom .

Non paying bidders are out of control and buyers remorse is running a close second major issue with buyers looking for  any slight fault or imaginary defects in order to score item for free or return items.

Ebay is dying and this is why ..

Message 28 of 28
Latest reply