Missing or recommended item specifics

I received notification that I had 37 items (shirts) that were missing item specifics. In my listings, I always include condition, size, all the fabric components, colour, manufacturer, sleeve length etc. When I went to look, one of them required a colour (I had chosen 'Multicoloured' from the original dropdown list provided, but apparently that wasn't good enough), so I added 3 of the colours of the several in the shirt. Another one that was missing anything was a shirt for which I had no brand name, so I left that out in my original listing. This time I put in 'Unknown' - which is not available in the dropdown list. If it is necessary to always add the brand name, why is it possible to choose to NOT include it? It isn't marked as one of the required fields. The only other one I found was a sleeveless top, which was missing its style but this wasn't a choice in the provided styles, and since the photo clearly shows what it is, didn't include it. So I added my own style.

Be bu@@ered if I can find what the other 34 were missing. Is this something new?

By the way, what is the difference between a blouse and a buttoned down shirt?

Message 1 of 14
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

I treat these notifications as SPAM and ignore them.

Only very occassionally do they hit on an important missing item specific - they are just more of the numerous unhelpful suggestions that eBay likes to SPAM us with.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 14
Latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

I treat these notifications as SPAM and ignore them.

Only very occassionally do they hit on an important missing item specific - they are just more of the numerous unhelpful suggestions that eBay likes to SPAM us with.

Message 2 of 14
Latest reply

Thanks for the info - it's just I had never seen it before and thought it must be something new they were fiddling with.

Message 3 of 14
Latest reply

A buttoned down shirt has a collar that can be secured with buttons.

Buttoned down shirt tends to get used as a more generic description for many business style / corporate / traditional shirts.

A blouse is a loose fitting shirt.  However its more frequent generic use is a womens dress shirt or top.

Based on where I think people would search, I tend to use shirt if it is corporate wear and buttons up in some fashion, and blouse for most other things. 

lol though if a top is loose fitting I tend to use tunic.  choices, choices, choices Cat Wink

Message 4 of 14
Latest reply

I try to ignore it -  the main specific seems to be "origin" - which I don't think is really important for anything but food

Message 5 of 14
Latest reply

'origin' - is that an item specific for clothing? as I haven't noticed it before, except in furniture.

Message 6 of 14
Latest reply

I never thought of 'buttoned down shirt' as being an item that has a buttoned down collar. I assumed that the term meant a garment that buttoned down the front. I think of a blouse as something that doesn't necessarily have buttons down the front. So I have always used the item specific 'buttoned down shirt' for all my shirts/blouses that button down the front. It probably doesn't matter, as who searches for 'buttoned down shirts' anyway?

Message 7 of 14
Latest reply

I seem to get those messages every few days. I hope they are not planning to mandate the changes as I have a very large number of listings affected and couldnt realistically, physically change them. ( it could literally take several months of full time work. )  I have to admit its another small worry, trying to run a business on ebay, you never know when they are going to mandate changes that could take an enormous amount of work to fix...

Message 8 of 14
Latest reply

I had no clue that anyone took any notice of those messages, I fill in the item specifcs I think appropriate and that is all, I would nnever dream of just putting something non specific in just so the space was filled.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 9 of 14
Latest reply

I am in the process of ending and relisting everything, and I am making sure I have the item specifics correct. I am still getting an ever increasing list of items that allegedly need fixing.

I've only been getting this for the last couple of weeks, so it might be due to going back to 30 day listings from GTC.

Message 10 of 14
Latest reply