My sales have almost stopped selling.

Hi there,

I'm not sure if it's just me or are other sellers experiencing the same. I've been selling a small amount of items for years(mostly stamps) and have never experienced such lack of sales or selling for just the starting price only.

It's been going on for about 4 weeks now, so don't know if other people are having the same problems.

Kindest regards,

Debra. 

Message 1 of 30
Latest reply
29 REPLIES 29

Re: My sales have almost stopped selling.

I only sell irregularly on ebay. Mostly ski stuff that I bought the previous year and kids have outgrown. It always sold really well but now it is not selling at all.

I suspect a few  things. 

1) People look on facebook groups first as they are local and there is no paypal or ebay fee. I know I do

2) Ebay seems flooded with Chinese sellers claiming to be in Austalia - this really annoys me and I can't seem to always weed them out. 

3) the layout has changed and I really dislike it. It's hard to find the Australian sellers and I find it hard to navigate. 

I suspect ebay will become a thing of the past!

Message 21 of 30
Latest reply

@pmodel202021 wrote:

I only sell irregularly on ebay. Mostly ski stuff that I bought the previous year and kids have outgrown. It always sold really well but now it is not selling at all.

I suspect a few  things. 

1) People look on facebook groups first as they are local and there is no paypal or ebay fee. I know I do

2) Ebay seems flooded with Chinese sellers claiming to be in Austalia - this really annoys me and I can't seem to always weed them out. 

3) the layout has changed and I really dislike it. It's hard to find the Australian sellers and I find it hard to navigate. 

People have been saying that for years, especially with Amazon and Etsy competing for the market. Interestingly, eBay is still here. I don't think it's going to be gone any time soon. In 10 years time, people will still be saying eBay is on the way out.

Message 22 of 30
Latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

I lost my TSR a while back due to the 'number' of sales not being enough.

All I did was flog heaps of those Coles collectables to bring my number back up.

Message 23 of 30
Latest reply

I am hardly selling anything the last few months.I queried it with Ebay and they said there was nothing wrong with my accounts and they were working ok.

My sales were slow anyway before they suddenly came to complete stanstill.

Its hardly worth trying to list .

I hadnt sold anything for two months on one account .Then in one day sold 3 things ..Then it all stopped agin.

Obviously Ebay are doing their best to get rid of small sellers.

Although they try and deny this.

Someone on here tried to tell me that its because I sell Records and cd's and said records were out of date,

Well strangely records are my biggest sellers.Or used to be .

Message 24 of 30
Latest reply

It's not that what you're selling is out of date,it's that you have a lot of competitors and there is a record shop in my town that sells cheaper than what I see on ebay so you put these 2 factors together and this adds to low sales perhaps, this is just my opinion and may not be the case for you or any other seller.

Message 25 of 30
Latest reply

Perhaps buyers are looking at the feedback you leave & wish to avoid a seller who chooses to ignore eBay policies...idk

Message 26 of 30
Latest reply

@*tippy*toes* wrote:

@pmodel202021 wrote:

I suspect a few  things. 

People have been saying that for years, especially with Amazon and Etsy competing for the market. Interestingly, eBay is still here. I don't think it's going to be gone any time soon. In 10 years time, people will still be saying eBay is on the way out.

FWIW I'm not seeing any long-term trend in my ebay sales. I have had good and bad weeks or fortnights, but they seem to be counterbalanced by inexpicable surges in sales over short periods. Over the past month I sold well over 15% of my items, which is pretty decent AFAIC. 

As for ebay's future, I'm not confident that it will be going strong in ten years, but it also wouldn't amaze me. It's already shown an impressive longevity without fundamentally changing to its approach.  I've been on ebay for over 20 years, and it's been a significant force on the web for at least a couple of years before that. To put that in some perspective, back then Alta Vista was the number one search engine, everyone had web pages on Geocities,  Americans were all on AOL,  you posted and read messages on Usenet,  Netscape was the market leading browser - and you still rented VHS tapes from video stores.

Message 27 of 30
Latest reply

@pmodel202021 wrote:

I suspect a few  things. 

If you can't beat 'em, join 'em. List your ski things on FB as well.

I can predict what will happen though. If you ask for the price you usually get on ebay, you'll be getting people who pipe up, "Will you take (third of that)?" and you will need to answer almost immediately or they will complain about being ignored. That means you'll need to have it all on a smartphone that notifies you every time a message comes in.

If I were you I would give it a try though as yes, FB does sell, but I am not too sure how well it works with higher priced items.

As for ebay, I am pretty sure it will still be here in 10 years, but probably not in exactly the same format it is now. Everything changes over time and ebay is no exception.

Message 28 of 30
Latest reply

The wife lists a few local pick-up items on FB. Some go OK, but sometimes the " buyers " drive you absolutely nuts with their stupid offers and complicated requests. FB might be OK if you just want to clear up a bit of stuff thats laying around the house and you dont mind spending time sorting through the time wasters, but it would be almost impossible to run a genuine business on there. The constant communication with buyers, stupid offers and organising and checking on payment would drive a seller to distraction.

While FB is still evolving with its online sales plans, at the moment there is nothing else around that even comes close to ebay for running an efficient, small online business.

Message 29 of 30
Latest reply

I find most of my fb buyers end up being more efficient than ebay. Some of them buy much larger amounts and that saves me a lot of work. It's much simpler to sell one buyer $500 than sell 50 buyers $10 each.

If people mess me around they go straight on my blocked list and they never see any of my items again so I don't give them another thought.

It all depends what you're selling and what part of fb you use.
Message 30 of 30
Latest reply