Need mentor to sell

Hi Iam looking for a mentor to help me with selling techniques and to get my bussiness go on eBay.... any advice on a magical course or a magical mentor?

Message 1 of 15
Latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

Re: Need mentor to sell

https://www.ebay.com.au/help/home

Satrt there and read everything you can about all area's of eBay. Selling, buying, payments and dispute processes.

Once you have read all of the info provided for you then you can ask for assistance, it is doubtful anyone here will have time to spare to mentor you on all aspects, so get to know the basics

Message 2 of 15
Latest reply

imastawka
Honored Contributor

As the others have said, God helps those who help themselves. 😁

1. Read all the self help guides on ebay, to start with.

2. Lurk on the boards for a while and just read the posts, absorb some of the information.

3. When you feel ready, list a few reasonably small value items. Don't start with your $1000 items and sell them to someone in some dodgy overseas country. Start small and maybe Australia only.

4. Once you have had a few sales and used the system, that is probably when you'll know what areas are tricky or where you need extra help and then you can ask the specific questions here and there will be sellers who can answer.

5. I don't think there is a magical course. If you do find someone charging mega dollars for one, be a bit skeptical about handing over your money.

Message 4 of 15
Latest reply

"Designer Women Tommy Hilfiger Shoes Size 8 For Sale"

Start with your titles try using as many  words as possible and do some reading about keywords to draw more potential buyers to you listings

not many people search "for sale"

I would have rather included  "white "lace up" or "laces" and possibly even "unwanted gift" "flats", "Tommy Jeans" before "for sale"

I think you need  better descriptions in your listings as well

TELL ME AND I WILL FORGET, SHOW ME AND I MAY REMEMBER,, INVOLVE ME AND I WILL UNDERSTAND Confucius 450bc
Message 5 of 15
Latest reply

@funkydiva_n wrote:

any advice on a magical course or a magical mentor?

Only that anyone offering such things is like any other magician - they charge a ticket price to exhibit entertaining illusions. 

Selling is work, and there aren't any formulas to it that guarantee success. There are some key things that can drastically improve someone's chances at success, though.

The best place to start is to think like a buyer, not someone trying to sell. What do you look for when you want to buy something? How do you look for it? What turns you off from buying particular items you've looked at. 

Using your listings as examples, if you wanted to buy a mother's day gift for someone, would you search for "mother's day gift", or would you have something specific in mind and search for that? (Side note - if the only words in a title are "[special occasion] gift" you automatically exclude anyone looking for what the actual item is, no matter what purpose they'd be buying it for, because it won't come up in searches from people who are specifically looking to buy what you're selling, it'll only come up for people who want to buy something, but they don't know what, yet). 

Let's say someone looking for artificial flowers finds that listing, and likes the look of them, but needs to know a few things first...

What are they made from? How big are they? Is there a stem, and if so, how long is it? I'm assuming they're silk flowers only because of the category they're in, other people might not even look for that, see "sweet love" on the box and think they're chocolates or something, because why box up artificial flowers like that instead of making them into a bouquet etc. 

Same with the Mimco Pouch - it's small, how small? What is it made from? Is there a lining? Why are there two other items taking up more space in the photo than the pouch that's for sale?  

The more information you can convey in listing photos and descriptions, the more likely you will actually sell items, as well as reduce the number of questions you get looking for more info (most people won't bother), and it reduces the amount of problems that can crop up, because in the absence of information (and sometimes even in the face of it) some buyers will create their own ideas about an item and then want to return, say it's not as described etc etc etc . 

Message 6 of 15
Latest reply

Many would consider a post like this to be advertising.  i.e. look at me.

Take the good advise from the many well informed sellers who have replied here.  Read, read and read some more.  It will work for you in the end if you keep trying and have goodies others want to buy.  Good luck

Message 7 of 15
Latest reply

I thought those flowers were either chocolates..............or soap.

And a Mimco bag / pouch should show the lining - too many fakes out there

Message 8 of 15
Latest reply

I never looked at your listings before, I thought you were yet to start out, but I'd echo what others have said.

The title, description and photos are everything or at least 90% of it.

Don't waste your chance in the title. For example, a word like sunglasses is fine but if you were selling some, you'd be best to put brand and as much practical info as you can in the title. Putting words like gift in any title is a waste.

If you sell shoes, put a brand and size in title as well as other descriptive words eg high heel, flat, sandal etc.

Quite a lot of items need to have the size clarified. That would apply to things like bags, purses, jewellery and so on. There's nothing more frustrating as a buyer than to see an ad where the seller hasn't put in the length of a necklace, for example. Don't assume buyers will always know from the photo.

Lots of photos, top bottom inside outside etc

Any faults at all, photograph and mention. be up front.

You'll need some detail in your ad. Some of your ads are too light on in detail, I'd just pass them by.

Message 9 of 15
Latest reply

I am about to attempt to launch a new ebay selling id / business from scratch. It is not for me, but selling on behalf of a local charity. The account will not be linked to my existing accounts in any way, different IP address for registering account, different phone numbers,  names and addresses, different town to mine etc. so will be a genuine new account.

I expect the account will come under the new account listing restrictions, 21 day hold on sale proceeds etc. I have got some simple plans on how to work ebay algorythms etc. to try to get sales quickly, build feedback and get account restrictions lifted as soon as possible.

I would be willing to run a diary on the selling forum, explaining what I,m doing and why and detail at what point milestones are reached if that helps.

Message 10 of 15
Latest reply