New price tier from AP for 500g-1kg parcels - for June ONLY.

I was told at the PO today that AP are bringing in a new price tier for parcels that weigh between 500g and 1kg, for a price of $10.  He said it's only for the month of June.  He thought they're probably running it as a trial but that's just his opinion.  I could certainly get some use out of it if they decided to make it a permanent thing!

My postmaster hadn't read all the details yet so don't shoot me if any of this turns out to be wrong. 

Message 1 of 30
Latest reply
29 REPLIES 29

Re: New price tier from AP for 500g-1kg parcels - for June ONLY.

I have many 1st edition HC and TPBs that weigh between 500 and 1000g. That won't fit in a B1 box. So I will be checking it out.

Espcially when eBay is not my sole sales venue.

Message 11 of 30
Latest reply

I don't think much fits into those BX1 boxes to the wieght and dimensions.

They are pissant little things.They can hold almost 3kg of water.

Message 12 of 30
Latest reply

@dylan11235813 wrote:

I don't think much fits into those BX1 boxes to the wieght and dimensions.

They are pissant little things.They can hold almost 3kg of water.

Medium size books fit fine. Full size don't. Horses for courses. I believe I initially mentioned BOOKS, and as that is what I sell, that is were my interest lies. And $2 less postage for a <1kg book that won't fit a box is certainly in both my and my buyers' interest.

Message 13 of 30
Latest reply

definately. All I am tring to say is that AP need to get a clue, maybe me as well, but to "create" something that has been done before that a **bleep**loard of other companies are doing, are they a joke or what? They created it and failed...now other companies move in...hense the idiot part.

Message 14 of 30
Latest reply

Lets not forget if you use AP for this, you need to have signature on delivery + extra cover if its worth anything - Total $10 + 2.95 + 1.45 equals $14.40 just to cover problems.  Trouble is most books sent by this method would average about that or up to 20 bucks value - so there aint much left over, probably enough for a cup of coffee - if you're lucky.

Message 15 of 30
Latest reply

Probably most are aware of this little tip - but anyone who pays $2 or more for boxes from AP or Ebay is chucking money away - get yourself down to the local Reject shop or IGA supermarket and find the stacker trolleys which will be bulging with empty boxes, some places also have a special bin for customers to get boxes. The best I've found is Reject shops - they love you to take their boxes, less work in getting rid of them. Also you get to choose the ones that fit your goods so you dont have to fill them up with all sorts of packing. It all helps in the constant battle to make a dollar. Don't say you werent told!

Message 16 of 30
Latest reply

Unfortunately you need to think outside the square when large companies do things that initially sound to us consumers as a great idea. I see only one reason for this "trial" on 1kg parcels (if it is infact happening), and that is :-

To see how popular it is, so they can then delete the 500gr rate, and we have to either use Large Letter, or 1kg Parcel, nothing inbetween. Yes, we will save a bit of money on anything that is currently 500gr to 1kg, but anything under 500gr, we will be paying a couple of dollars more for.

Thats the way I look at it

Message 17 of 30
Latest reply

@tastiger1 wrote:

Lets not forget if you use AP for this, you need to have signature on delivery + extra cover if its worth anything - Total $10 + 2.95 + 1.45 equals $14.40 just to cover problems.  Trouble is most books sent by this method would average about that or up to 20 bucks value - so there aint much left over, probably enough for a cup of coffee - if you're lucky.

Rubbish. Certainly for a $20 book. What extra cover? Why SOD?

And to use the eBay B1 box option, it is required to be an AP B1 box. Not your local supermarket's throw aways..

Message 18 of 30
Latest reply

The annoyance with small, light but thick items (e.g. VHS video tapes) has always been there with our postal system, although I wouldn't be surprised if it's the same everywhere else.

Any Parcel Post discount is most likely going to have a negative effect later on. I'm looking at the current $7.45 "small" parcel rate; I wouldn't be surprised if it suddenly vanishes into thin air, replaced with a flat $10 to coincide with the $1 stamps. Think of it: 70c -> $1; $7.45 -> $10. What's next, Australia Post makes all letters $1 (including large letters), but then resizes the letter gauge to 1cm to force everyone to use Parcel Post ($10) on anything thicker than a birthday card?

Message 19 of 30
Latest reply

Most books fit in the B1 box but the 1kg limit is the pits

Now if they announced $10 for 2 kg in the Bx2 box - that would be really newsworthy!

Message 20 of 30
Latest reply