New price tier from AP for 500g-1kg parcels - for June ONLY.

I was told at the PO today that AP are bringing in a new price tier for parcels that weigh between 500g and 1kg, for a price of $10.  He said it's only for the month of June.  He thought they're probably running it as a trial but that's just his opinion.  I could certainly get some use out of it if they decided to make it a permanent thing!

My postmaster hadn't read all the details yet so don't shoot me if any of this turns out to be wrong. 

Message 1 of 30
Latest reply
29 REPLIES 29

Should have done that years ago, it would give online sales a big boost, having to pay 3kg rate for items in this bracket is ridiculous

-------------------------------

ASSUMPTION IS THE MOTHER OF ALL STUFF UPS!!
Message 2 of 30
Latest reply

@englishrosegardens wrote:

I was told at the PO today that AP are bringing in a new price tier for parcels that weigh between 500g and 1kg, for a price of $10.  He said it's only for the month of June.  He thought they're probably running it as a trial but that's just his opinion.  I could certainly get some use out of it if they decided to make it a permanent thing!

My postmaster hadn't read all the details yet so don't shoot me if any of this turns out to be wrong. 

Not impressed.

AP are significantly suppressing domestic & international trade due to their money grabbing efforts that serve only to fund inflated CEO & senior management wages as well as fund multiple non-core business initiatives that I have not read a single thing about yielding any noteworthy result.

$10 for post for goods that weigh a single kilo being sent domestically ~ give me a break Cat LOLCat LOL

Message 3 of 30
Latest reply

Agreed!

I think it'll be interesting to see what sort of size limits there might be on it. I really hope it is a trial and that they decide to keep it! I haven't sold much in that weight range but I would if postage was cheaper.
Message 4 of 30
Latest reply

Didn't they have a 1Kg weight  range years ago anyway, not to mention it is also available on the BX1 prepaid box, not sure why they call it a trial. All the other freight companies I have seen have a 1kg range as well, AP are idiots.

Message 5 of 30
Latest reply

@dylan11235813 wrote:

Didn't they have a 1Kg weight  range years ago anyway, not to mention it is also available on the BX1 prepaid box, not sure why they call it a trial. All the other freight companies I have seen have a 1kg range as well, AP are idiots.

On that we agree Dylan, AP are idiots, and are doing little to help our economy.

Message 6 of 30
Latest reply

Is that a flat rate (cubing free) parcel post regardless of destination? If so why not make it available in prepaid parcels

-------------------------------

ASSUMPTION IS THE MOTHER OF ALL STUFF UPS!!
Message 7 of 30
Latest reply

@lane-ends wrote:

Is that a flat rate (cubing free) parcel post regardless of destination? If so why not make it available in prepaid parcels

I didn't have time to ask him for more details today and he had a couple of customers waiting anyway, but from what he said yesterday about the price being $10, it sounds like it could be the same deal as for parcels up to 500g.  IF it's a trial and it's popular, there's no telling what they might decide to do in the future, including making it available in prepaid satchels.

It's a lot better than having to use a 3kg satchel or sending a standard parcel that weight.  It's also quicker and easier to stick $10 on a listing than having to figure out the best rate like we currently do.  The bx1 boxes are cheaper through ebay but they don't suit everything in this weight range, plus you have to buy the boxes.  I've got mountains of recycled bubblewrap so I prefer to use my own packaging than to pay for a box. 

They'll have to release the details pretty soon if they want people to use it because 1st June isn't very far away!

Message 8 of 30
Latest reply

@dylan11235813 wrote:

AP haven't said it's a trial.  I did say it was just his opinion but I suppose I can't expect people to read it properly, even though they expect buyers to read their descriptions properly.  Smiley Frustrated

While the cheaper rate is available with a Bx1 box, that's only through ebay.  It's not available to anyone who sells elsewhere, or just wants to send a private parcel.

Bx1 boxes weigh around 100g so your item is restricted to 900g or less.  If you use your own packaging you can add about another 50g to the weight of the item.  I have a product that weighs exactly 950g and I can't send it in the boxes, but I could keep it under 1kg if I send it in my own packaging.

We didn't have ebay years ago and AP didn't have huge mountains of parcels to deliver, so the services they offered back then are irrelevant to what they offer today.  Why are AP idiots for doing something that people want?  Surely they'd be idiots if they DIDN'T offer it?  I think they deserve some credit for actually doing something about it.  I guess there's just no pleasing some people!   Smiley Frustrated

Message 9 of 30
Latest reply

Yep I didn't read your post properly .I think reading something on a forum is a little different to a listing don't you? For a start I am not outlaying my hard earned money to post something. I do tend to read over forum posts rather quickly and do tend to miss important information, my bad.

I totally forgot that BX1 box was only available through ebay, this is an ebay forum usually relating to transactions on ebay.

The fact is though they had that weight range (I think ebay was around). IMO they got rid of it to price gauge customers and now that AP are facing competition they might decide to bring it back, they should have it right now without hesitation.

If I lived at a location so I could use a different freight company I would, in fact I would use a totally different freight company if I could for all my parcels and just use AP for letters. If AP kept their prices low to begin with they wouldn't be faced with so much competition in my opinion.

When they start losing money from both sides of thier business what will they do.....No doubt hey will increase the price of letters to compensate the parcel side of the business. lol 🙂

Message 10 of 30
Latest reply