New seller, items not selling

I have listed some vintage  items for around 3 weeks.  There have been views on some of the items, one or two wirh none.  I have had no sales and I have made sure I am selling close to or abit less than similar items.  I do not know why I have not sold anything, I put a lot of work into selecting items, photographs and listing.  I would appreciate some advice from sellers of similar items

Message 1 of 28
Latest reply
27 REPLIES 27

Re: New seller, items not selling

I started at garage sales, always felt like a treasure hunt but it got me started. I still enjoy looking at an op shop nearby but very hit and miss and give credit to those that make an income this way as some op shops have nothing so really depends on your area.

Message 21 of 28
Latest reply

It would actually be referred to as a ' Cuff '.

Message 22 of 28
Latest reply

@imastawka wrote:

Cham, it would be of benefit if you knew the difference between a bracelet and a bangle.

Someone looking for those items will not find them under 'bracelet'

As already mentioned Jewellery is defenitely not my thing, ( give me rusty car parts any day ) but for a dollar each I wasnt going to leave them there. Looking at other similar " sold items " the cuff may be worth two to three hundred dollars if it tests as pure silver. It gets back to knowing your field and study study study.  I suspect a new store with a couple of hundred listings like those three objects would do pretty well.

Message 23 of 28
Latest reply

Re the Scotch Thistle Trinket bowl - if I were trying to sell similar I would concentrate on the item itself. My first thought was that you were selling a necklace.  All the other bits 'n pieces detract from the main object of the listing. I would take close up from above, below, to show there are no chips or any damage (this is also an insurance for a buyer claiming the item is not in excellent condition as described).

Clear glass can look good against a black background.

Message 24 of 28
Latest reply

@paper-jack wrote:

Re the Scotch Thistle Trinket bowl - if I were trying to sell similar I would concentrate on the item itself. My first thought was that you were selling a necklace.  All the other bits 'n pieces detract from the main object of the listing. I would take close up from above, below, to show there are no chips or any damage (this is also an insurance for a buyer claiming the item is not in excellent condition as described).

Clear glass can look good against a black background.

I agree. Are you getting the bowl, the bowl and the necklace, the bowl, the necklace, the plate and the dog figurine? I know there are plenty of buyers who will claim not as described because they didn't get all the items in the photo, even though the other items aren't listed in the listing. Some of my items I will put a coin next to it to compare the size. I state in my listing that the coin is not included. I do that because originally I didn't and someone opened an INAD because they didn't get the 20c piece.

Sad that the one item the OP has sold, they have lost money on. $12 with free postage. I suspect their selling career will be short if they keep losing money like that. Pointless putting all the effort in to pay money instead of making it.

Message 25 of 28
Latest reply

Sad that the one item the OP has sold, they have lost money on. $12 with free postage. I suspect their selling career will be short if they keep losing money like that. Pointless putting all the effort in to pay money instead of making it.

They were warned about it 3 days before it sold,  OP did nothing, so I guess they enjoy losing money.  They still have at least one item up for a loss.

Message 26 of 28
Latest reply

@sugar249 wrote:

They were warned about it 3 days before it sold,  OP did nothing, so I guess they enjoy losing money.  They still have at least one item up for a loss.

They were also warned at the same time about the farmyard plate and haven't changed the free postage.

Message 27 of 28
Latest reply

You have to also have the items you want to sell be available in you area.  I prefer new liquidated stock now days but can't pass up on vintage NOS car parts or older Australian model parts. Very hard to find I have lots of knowledge but could never make an income from it.

A few years back picked up a nos  xw/xy drivers quarter panel but never would see one again and wont sell it any time soon. Can make decent money on it but did pay up for it at the time but replicating that every week would be hard.  If I lived more rural and had the contacts to find these type of items  then I would pursue it. So I would spend the time looking around to see what is available where you live to see what is available and go from there.

Message 28 of 28
Latest reply