New seller performance standards - Defects

Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone can clarify the defect rating due to roll out tomorrow.

Let's say a buyer purchases an item by mistake and the seller initiates the cancel transaction request. Does this still count as a defect? 

Thanks in advance

Message 1 of 17
Latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

Re: New seller performance standards - Defects

I have a 'defect' for +++++ glowing feedback - then the star rating of 'item not as described'.

See page 23 - Sellers " Gain a Voice

Message 11 of 17
Latest reply

So let's say the customer purchases 2 of an  item but only meant to purchase 1.

If we cancel the transaction then we risk receiving a defect even though the buyer requested it.

If we open up a UPI, the buyer may get annoyed and then leave a negative feedback anyway.

Lose lose Smiley Sad

Message 12 of 17
Latest reply

@isus_store wrote:

So let's say the customer purchases 2 of an  item but only meant to purchase 1.

If we cancel the transaction then we risk receiving a defect even though the buyer requested it.

If we open up a UPI, the buyer may get annoyed and then leave a negative feedback anyway.

Lose lose Smiley Sad

If they leave a negative for an UPI, eBay will remove it if the case is closed without payment. 

Message 13 of 17
Latest reply

You won't get a defect if you open a cancel transaction at the buyer's request - just be careful when selecting the reason for cancellation (ie use "buyer changed mind" option)

Ebay has list of resons when it is ok to cancel a transaction and not receive a defect.  The reason for receiving a defect is:

• Transaction cancellation by the seller when the item was out of stock, or sold to another buyer

If a UPI case is closed without payment, the buyer receives a UPI strike and CANNOT leave feedback.

Message 14 of 17
Latest reply

Unless the seller uses the Unpaid Assistant, the buyer can still leave feedback while the case is open....and some do. EBay will remove that feedback when the case is closed without payment.

Some people have been getting defects for using the buyer changed mind option and other options that don't involve the one you listed. It is for that reason, sellers are worried that it might happen to them, regardless of the reason given for the cancellation.

Hopefully eBay will soon let buyers initiate cancellations, which will hopefully prevent the seller getting a defect for that transaction.

Message 15 of 17
Latest reply

I finally found the whole list given by a CS rep:

The following reasons for a cancelled transaction won't count against your seller performance:

โ—ฆBuyer purchased item by mistake or changed mind

โ—ฆBuyer is returning item for refund โ—ฆYou and buyer disagreed over terms

โ—ฆBuyer is unresponsive

โ—ฆBuyer's payment hasn't been received or hasn't cleared

โ—ฆBuyer requested shipment to an unconfirmed address

โ—ฆeBay notified you to cancel

โ—ฆGlobal Shipping Program order

Let us know if you have questions.

Regards, Jacklyn Mae M. eBay Customer Support

I'd be very suprised if others are getting defects for buyer changed mind, they might be accidently selecting the wrong option.

I agree about feedback and UPI case - you repeated exactly what I said.

Message 16 of 17
Latest reply

Over the last few months there have been a number of experienced sellers who received defects for selecting buyer changed mind. They wouldn't all have accidenally selected the wrong option. I don't know how far in the messages you would need to go back, but it's all there.

Message 17 of 17
Latest reply