Parcel was damaged but buyer refused to take it back to the post off

a4245-65
Community Member

Hi everyone,

I have recently sold a bottle of used perfume. Because of the terrible handlings by  Australia Post in the past, I purchased extra insurance and Signature on Delivery at my own expenses. I also suggested the buyer to open up the parcel in the post office to make sure the perfume is not damaged (she uses a Post Office address as her delivery address).

The parcel was delivered on 10 Feb. On the  following day, the buyer contacted me and said the package was leaking but she didn’t notice when picking up because she had several parcels. I replied within five minutes and told her not to open the parcel. Just take it back to the post office and tell the staff about what happened. They would fill a damaged report and giver her a reference number. I’ll then process a full refund to her. 

The buyer did not respond to my message or take the parcel back. On 16 February, without any further communication, she opened a case and asked for a full refund. I left her several messages and said that I have purchased full insurance. She doesn’t need to worry about dealing with Australia Post as it is my responsibility. I will refund her the full amount but what she needs to do first is to take the parcel back to the post office so I can claim compensation.

But she just wouldn’t reply or return the parcel. 

I have also contacted eBay, who suggested me to wait until 21 February or to provide the buyer with a return postage label even though I explained to eBay why the buyer does not need to send the parcel back to me.

This whole thing just seems really odd to me as most buyers would like to solve the matter ASAP. It normally doesn’t take this long for them to return the parcel. They would at least leave me a message if they couldn’t do it within a reasonable time.

It was lucky that I took a full video when packing up. I also took some photos when dropping off at the post office.

Has anyone came across similar situations before? I really don’t know what I should do now.

Message 1 of 59
Latest reply
58 REPLIES 58

Re: Parcel was damaged but buyer refused to take it back to the post off

So in a nutshell..-

You've sold an item you know can't be sold on eBay (used perfume)

To circumvent eBay's rules you've listed as new (when it's not)

You've posted it when it is against Australia Post rules (unless you have a DGL- which you don't)

You've insured it (but Australia Post insurance doesn't cover glass breakages and I'm sure they won't cover prohibited items either).

I'd quietly accept the return before eBay cotton on to the above and your selling days might be numbered if you continue down this path.

Message 31 of 59
Latest reply

People do list partial bottles of perfume under

where the option for Used / Pre-owned is available. I presume this is within eBay rules - the bottles (and packaging)  are of course collectable. Totally ignores the problem of posting with AP without a DGL. I have in the past sold factices, even overseas - needed to be carefully explained that factices are filled with coloured water, not perfume. Probably not worth the effort these days. If perfume bottles still have some contents, I have sold them through B&M auction if I thought it was worth it. The whole notion of selling partial bottles of perfume through eBay seems a nightmare to me.

Message 32 of 59
Latest reply

a4245-65
Community Member

Thank you for sending me all the information. I have learnt so much. I now only allow local pick up for used perfume, and it has worked very well.

I approved the buyer's return request on 20 Feb. After almost two weeks, she still has not returned the item or responded to my message.

I also checked her profile (should have done it earlier). She left feedback for 11 sellers, 4 of which are negative. Of course, it's the buyer's right to leave anything they want. It is just really unusual that she had issues with almost 40% of her eBay sellers but she is still buying from eBay. 

I'll let you guys know if there is anything new.

Message 33 of 59
Latest reply

It is unlikely the buyer has a dangerous goods license , but as a serial neg giver, even more unlikely she'd return it

Once this is over, put her on your blocked bidders list, there is a very good chance she will reappear and do it again otherwise (even with pick up only items)

Message 34 of 59
Latest reply

a4245-65
Community Member

Hi everyone, I have just received the parcel from the buyer. I opened it at the counter in the post office. And guess what? The buyer didn't send it back.  The box is empty and filled with some used bubbles. 

Message 35 of 59
Latest reply

Make a stat dec (and include stat dec of AP employee who witnessed this).

Contact Live Chat, inform them of what occurred, ask to whom you should upload the stat decs.

Message 36 of 59
Latest reply

...Now it's theft.....do as countess recommended 

Message 37 of 59
Latest reply

Why - perhaps the buyer was aware he/she didn't have a DGL (dangerous goods licence).

Opening it in front of an Aust Post employee could have ramifications on the sender.

Screenshot_20230220-160252_Gmail~3.jpg

Message 38 of 59
Latest reply

@countessalmirena wrote:

Make a stat dec (and include stat dec of AP employee who witnessed this).

Contact Live Chat, inform them of what occurred, ask to whom you should upload the stat decs.

A stat dec - stating you actually broke the law by sending a prohibited item through the post - but didn't receive it back. 

Hello.

Message 39 of 59
Latest reply

8dd809d4-b39a-4711-963c-421a5ab1f6ed_text.gif

Message 40 of 59
Latest reply