Parcels to US since mid-Jan - any big delays experienced?

Is anyone else experiencing some delays in parcels getting to customers in the US?  They were sent pre-the new security crackdown.

Thanks.

Message 1 of 9
Latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

Nothing to do with ebay but I have had no problems with parcels to and from the Seattle WA area.

Message 2 of 9
Latest reply

Many of my US deliveries were experiencing long delays before Christmas, of up to several weeks longer than the ebay estimate.

This has now wound back considerably and all parcels have been delivered within the estimate. This excludes delivery by contractors who do not scan parcels, so I don't know the delivery date.

However, some USPS International Service Centers continue to be notorious for delays, especially Chicago, followed by New York. This appears to be due to chronic but deliberate under resourcing.I suspect this is to hinder the flood of Chinese products to the US, with all other imports suffering as well.

Message 3 of 9
Latest reply

I am not 100% sure of this - but imagine that there could have been some delays with the US Government shut-down on both the customs and mail delivery side.   Sorry - I missed that you said they were sent pre-government shutdown but that may have also combined with the Christmas rush to make for headaches in the mail delivery.

Message 4 of 9
Latest reply

Thanks for your replies, the deliveries all started happening this week so there was a big delay.  The customers in the US say there was no impact on mail services from the government shutdown but that was a good suggestion, and I think there must have been some impact on processing at least.

Message 5 of 9
Latest reply

I see no-one's made mention of the Polar Vortex that the US had to contend with.

The Eastern States were practically shut down.   The warnings were - not to go outside.

People were being killed just by breathing the air.  It was down to minus 52F in some states.  One man died just going to his mailbox.

And I know that Wisconsin stopped all mail deliveries for at least a week.

The Polar Vortex has played havoc in eastern America for weeks.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-01-30/extreme-cold-to-hit-55-million-in-the-us-thanks-to-polar-vort...

Message 6 of 9
Latest reply

Edit: What stawks said. Smiley Very Happy

There's been some extreme weather causing disruptions in some parts of the US, if it's affecting major distribution centres, it can hold up a lot of mail for a bit, as then larger backlogs build up. 

Message 7 of 9
Latest reply

Yes, I have one parcel to the U.S that appears to be delayed at the moment.

Message 8 of 9
Latest reply

Terrible weather can slow down postage times alot something.    

Message 9 of 9
Latest reply