PayPal for Collected Items

Hi, 

New to eBay but am struggling with a sale.

Was put up at a good price as I needed a quck sale, I was to be forced to offer PayPal as an option for payment as well as cash on collection, I stated in the advert collection was required due to the nature of the item, to arange a courier pickup, packaging and insurance for a 30inch monitor would likely result in higher shipping cost than the item itself.

Seller has deposited funds to PayPal immediatly before contacting me to arage a suitable collection time and insists on collecting the item, however he has gone overseas for 14 days, I myself will be overseas by the time he returns. This really defeats the point of the quick sale, I needed the money and a quick sale before heading overseas myself. 

The listing clearly stated quick sale as heading overseas, buyer must collect, but he can not collect for at least 14 days.

Can I refuse to sell this item?

Message 1 of 14
Latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

If the buyer has paid by PayPal then unless PayPal have imposed a 21-day hold on the funds the money should be available for you to transfer to bank account.

It should be possible to arrange for a family member or friend to be available for the buyer to pick up from when you are away.
Message 2 of 14
Latest reply

I think a 21 day hold has happened

Message 3 of 14
Latest reply

Agree totally, very little chance of that sort of money being released before at least feedback from buyer.

Message 4 of 14
Latest reply

Just noticed item only sold yesterday, can you transfer money back to buyer.

Message 5 of 14
Latest reply

Yes you can transfer it back immediately but it will be classed as a refund

OP could have done with that money seeing as they're going on holidays 

Message 6 of 14
Latest reply

I would refund the money in PayPal, cancel the sale and relist as BIN ending very soon.

Making it clear in listing it is pick up only and cash on pick up preferred.

Also must be picked up by xxxxdatexxxx in the listing.

The cheek of people to expect you to wait more than 2 weeks without asking. (shakes head)

image host
Message 7 of 14
Latest reply

Refunded the buyer, now my PayPal account is on hold for 21 days so no point in relistimg here as I could not get the funds before I travel anyhow, will relist this item through GumTree.

I am sure eBay / PayPal has benifits for regular sellers who are really trading constantly more as a business or side business, but for the odd quck sale when you need some extra $ it does not really work for me, have used TradeMe in NZ and GumTree for this type of selling with much better results.

To be honest when I look back over the years of what I have sold, they tend to be bigger items, TV's, Monitors, Sofa, Furnature, Bedding, HiFi equipment which all are not really postable items (well not without high costs associated).

Can somebody expliain what PayPal protection is given to the seller when an item is collected (apart from taking an extra fee), I have searched and there does not seem to be any, except disadvantages (like not getting your money swiftly)?

Message 8 of 14
Latest reply

There isn't really.

In fact there used to be no protection on pick up items at all but that has recently changed and seems to only favour the buyer in case an item is defective shortly after pick up.

If someone pays me PayPal for a pick up item I refund and explain to just pay cash on pick up for their own protection.

People appreciate that I suggest to first inspect the item before paying. 

This also ensures that no chargeback can be done later for my protection.

There are some that want to use a PayPal balance though and that can't be refused.

Never had one in 10 years of selling here.

Forgot about the 21 day hold. Hope it sells quickly and you have an enjoyable holiday. Smiley Happy

image host
Message 9 of 14
Latest reply

@kopenhagen5 wrote:

There isn't really.

In fact there used to be no protection on pick up items at all but that has recently changed and seems to only favour the buyer in case an item is defective shortly after pick up.

If someone pays me PayPal for a pick up item I refund and explain to just pay cash on pick up for their own protection.

People appreciate that I suggest to first inspect the item before paying. 

This also ensures that no chargeback can be done later for my protection.

There are some that want to use a PayPal balance though and that can't be refused.

Never had one in 10 years of selling here.

Forgot about the 21 day hold. Hope it sells quickly and you have an enjoyable holiday. Smiley Happy

Nope.    No buyer protection for cash on pickup.  

Just makes sure the seller doesn't get a chargeback later.

Message 10 of 14
Latest reply