Postage options ? trying to work out the best & cheapest way to do things

I am only relativly new to this Ebay selling and trying to establsih the best and fairest way to post things.  In my shop, most items can be small, so I try and keep the costs down and send in an envelope using the "large letter rate" if the item fits all their critereia with weight, size etc......my question is, is the only way to post these is with actual stamps, that are purchased from the Post Office or can I purchase the Postage say through the CLICK & SEND facility if I was to register or is that only for 500g upwards type of parcels?

Thanks in advance

Message 1 of 26
Latest reply
25 REPLIES 25

Re: Postage options ? trying to work out the best & cheapest way to do things

@gtx305 wrote:
Its the EXPRESS envelope that is for paper only.

You can read all basic postage rules in their letters product and services guide PDF (easier to google it directly than try to find on their website).

Section 4 of that guide for Registered Post - if anyone can find anything that implies paper/documents only please let me know

Message 21 of 26
Latest reply

It's only the express envelopes that the "paper/documents only" applies to.

Across the bottom of the tear-off lodgement receipt that comes with the prepaid registered envelopes it says in bold red writing:

"WARNING: This envelope is not suitable for sending jewellery or precious stones.  Small rigid items such as keys or coins should be securely packed to avoid loss or damage."

Note that it does NOT say keys or coins shouldn't be posted in these envelopes, it just says they should be packed securely.  If it's okay to post these items in the prepaid reg'd envelopes then it's okay to post just about anything else.  If it wasn't okay to post anything other than paper they wouldn't have only mentioned jewellery or precious stones.

Message 22 of 26
Latest reply

Penny

You must have a good post office, our Surry Hills one wont even accept a large envelope with stamps on (they say put it in the post box nearby) let alone stamp and wait for you to photograph it.  I think a lot of post office staff try to discourage any large envelopes that might not be a letter/ documenst as much as they can.

We just post in the box and wear the odd loss when they dont turn up.

Regards

Message 23 of 26
Latest reply

@englishrosegardens wrote:

It's only the express envelopes that the "paper/documents only" applies to.

Across the bottom of the tear-off lodgement receipt that comes with the prepaid registered envelopes it says in bold red writing:

"WARNING: This envelope is not suitable for sending jewellery or precious stones.  Small rigid items such as keys or coins should be securely packed to avoid loss or damage."

Note that it does NOT say keys or coins shouldn't be posted in these envelopes, it just says they should be packed securely.  If it's okay to post these items in the prepaid reg'd envelopes then it's okay to post just about anything else.  If it wasn't okay to post anything other than paper they wouldn't have only mentioned jewellery or precious stones.

I have an 'old stock' Registered Post pre-paid envelope on hand and it says the exact same thing. I just hadn't seen the current stock ones so thankyou for that information! Also will be needing to find out if the International version (Registered Post envelopes) are documents/printed matter only or accept other items.

Message 24 of 26
Latest reply

Australia post registered International Prepaid envelope does say Warning Letters and documents only. Do not send valuables. Asked my Postmaster if i could use to send a coin he said fine go ahead. Arrived in the USA okay as well.

Message 25 of 26
Latest reply

I was told by my PO that international 'large letters' (unregistered) were supposed to be documents/paper only, but that they let other stuff through all the time. As I said to them, how are they supposed to know what's in them? I sent a large letter to the UK recently and it wasn't papers, but it was nice and flat so nobody would have known. Their postal guide is clear as mud on some things.

Message 26 of 26
Latest reply