Problems Sending / Lodging International parcels at my PO

Has anyone had any problems sending (by paying at the counter) or lodging AP prepaid postage International parcels at their PO in the last couple of days? My manager (who is lovely but may not be the brightest at IT) told me that a new system for sending parcels to USA came in  on Tuesday, but my parcel was to UK and encountered the same problem. It seems that some fields which used to be filled in by the sender (either when prepaying on-line or at the counter) now also have to be entered in the AP register.

Previously all the counter worker entered for me with the prepaid postage parcel was Country and Value. Now apparently also has to be entered Reason for Sending – which seems to be able to be entered OK. It is Description of Goods that causes the problem – there is a blank space but the operator can’t type into it. No amount of entering, F2ing or whatever can let them progress further. They tried several different registers and also scanning manually. She also said the same problem was encountered when people tried to send parcels from the counter.

The manager told me she had been on to the Help Desk twice – once to be told it was a glitch with the new required system, once to be told it was a glitch with AP coordinating with the new system. In the end I took my parcel away and will try again on Monday, in the hope that a) if there is a glitch it will have been fixed; or that b) they have worked out how to implement the new system. Anyone else had similar difficulties?

Message 1 of 9
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Problems Sending / Lodging International parcels at my PO

All good - whew! No problems with lodgement of my parcel today , took about 10 seconds as normal. Apparently there have been gremlins in AP software, and last Thursday was a particularly bad day  when almost nothing could be completed on-line. However my manager told me that it was fixed by 4pm that afternoon, and he has had no problems since. I suspect it had nothing to do with changes to International postage requirements.

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 9
Latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Thanks for responding. I posted without problem on Monday 8th so it was not something that came into effect on 1st August. The manifest on the AP site where you pre-pay for International postage has not changed; the link you sent "These requirements are already in place in various jurisdictions, including the USA and the European Union. (EU)." So there should not have been any change to requirements to USA - my PO said that there had been problems sending to USA as well as my parcel to UK. So mystery.

Message 3 of 9
Latest reply

i was at the post office for over 2 hours trying to send a parcel to Japan .

She couldnt get the item description to proceed,same as you.

Eventually the help desk was able to get things happening.Very annoying,hopefully won't happen again

Message 4 of 9
Latest reply

Goodness, I do hope my PO is able to get a good Help Desk person. And before I go in to try again on Monday. Thanks for letting me know I wasn't the only one.

Message 5 of 9
Latest reply

No issues for me yesterday on a parcel to the US. Entered everything as I normally to and when scanned in they used the hand held reader which is faster but does not produce a lodgement receipt though.

Message 6 of 9
Latest reply

Interesting - my PO did use the hand held scanner as a last resort. That didn't seem to work either. (Though I would want a lodgement receipt).

Message 7 of 9
Latest reply

I know the week before they where having issues with the scanners but I think that was just in getting them working. When I arrived at the time I think they where in the middle of re-starting them but since then no issues when I have been there. 

As far as lodgement receipts I have given up with them as I have not needed them when making a claim for a lost item. Although it was under $100 so not sure if you would need them on anything with a higher value.

Message 8 of 9
Latest reply

All good - whew! No problems with lodgement of my parcel today , took about 10 seconds as normal. Apparently there have been gremlins in AP software, and last Thursday was a particularly bad day  when almost nothing could be completed on-line. However my manager told me that it was fixed by 4pm that afternoon, and he has had no problems since. I suspect it had nothing to do with changes to International postage requirements.

Message 9 of 9
Latest reply