REFUNDS + EBAY COMMUNICATION + PAY PAL HOLDS

I have a bricks and mortar store and I'm starting to sell items on eBay, asking questions to eBay regularly as I learn how eBay works. However, upon asking advice on my first refund, I've had contradicting information from various ebay personnel I've spoken to over the past few days which has made me very uncomfortable with selling on eBay as I'm about to list thousands of items from my physical store.

I sell kids toys, playgrounds and outside equipment. Most of these items are  very expensive to ship ($30 to $90 nationally) so in my return policy, I have 14 day returns, 20% restocking fee, buyer pays return postage. I also have extra details in my listing description about not accepting "remorse returns" etc.

I've sold 14 of these on eBay already. One user purchased from me, received the item. Left positive feedback for me, then about a week later noticed the exact same product in a department store for a cheaper price. They wrote to me saying they were "very dissapointed that they found the same product for cheaper and asked for a refund".

I contacted ebay for advive on what to do and they said "you are okay as you don't need to refund remorse returns". So they suggested to write back to the user saying, that unfortunately you can't do remorse returns. I asked if this would affect my account, they said "no" as since it would be a remorse return (the person read the msgs between myself and the buyer). I wrote the buyer a message kindly saying, that we were sorry to hear that they were dissapointed, but we couldnt refund under remorse returns, but out of goodwill offered them a gift voucher for a dollar amount.

The next day, the buyer then opened an ebay return. I rang ebay again, asking for advice. This ebay rep said "Im advising you to accept the return case". I explained what was told to me the day prior and asked why? She said, the information from the previous ebay representative was incorrect. That i should have "no returns" selected as my return policy if i dont want to accept remorse returns. I said but i have those details in my descrtiption. She said, it doesn't matter what is in your description. I said but the last ebay rep said that I COULD have those details in my listing description. And she said that people can return items regardless. I said "i understand that if the item was not as described or faulty that they could but for remorse"?

She said "dont worry sir, the return case won't affect your selling account or receiving money immediately on your account. You don't have to pay for return shipping, just accept the return and process it and the buyer will pay for the return shipping and re-stocking fee". She added "if you don't accept, the buyer may raise it with us and thats when you get penalized/strike". I said to her "In other words i don't even have a choice?"... no comment. I was annoyed, dissapointed and confused. I felt like I was in a corner as everything I was led to believe was made up of BS. I said to the ebay rep "who do i believe?"

Reluctantly, I hit "accept" on the return case. Immediately it said "SELLER TO PAY FOR SHIPPING". I was not happy obviously. I called eBay again, and said "why do i have to pay?" The eBay rep said "sorry sir you've already pressed accept on the return" so you have to do what it says. At this point, I was ready to throw something. "The last person said blah blah"... he then told me to hold to speak to a supervisor.

While waiting I'm thinking, how hard is this? Is this really the issue for returns on eBay? Does eBay support their Buyers I wonder. I'm thinking, how easy is it for a buyer to make up something, and get a return....

The ebay rep comes back and says "sir try sending a message to your buyer asking them to pay, you should be able to negotiate". And I simply said "what if they DONT want to pay?" He replied, then you must pay shipping as you've accepted. I said "you know what, this is really bad" It seems no one at eBay is helpful, and eBay, over my first return, is not for the seller at all.

I sent the buyer the return address, in the "hope" that they will return (again thinking to myself "do i have to hope that i can get  a return honoured by eBay... is it hit and miss and so contradicting and confussing everytime?)

Later that evening, I have a sale on eBay. Approx $350. I look at PayPal account, I see the transaction.... but no funds. I call PayPal to ask what the situation is. They say (and this is the icing on the cake) "we are sorry but eBay haven't allowed the funds to be released to you as you have a dispute case against you". I said, I have a return in progress, but I was explicitly told that this WOULD NOT affect anything on my selling and my good standing for receiving payments. They said "it looks like eBay are holding all funds until the dispute is closed".

So now, 6th of October, I'm wondering if I should even trade on eBay. What a disaster. I've been incredibly cautious. Asked eBay many questions because I want to do the right thing. Only to be penalized and forced into a position where I have no choice in anything. I'm at their mercy. It even looks like my re-stocking fee won't even be honoured.

- How do people trade on eBay if this is the support or runaround?
- Do people find eBay supports buyers in these situations and NOT sellers?
- Does a return policy mean anything?
- Do people have varying results since it could may well depend on the person at eBay who is looking at your case?

- Just seems unethical, where you seek advice, you're given it... to only find you are in a worse position?

It just seems to me that sellers seem to get shafted, in what i would call... a very basic procedure. Under consumer law, a seller does not need to accept a return if its a remorse return (yes its our perogative to make a decision case by case) but it seems eBay doesn't support this?

Any comments much appreciated. Also, IF you have any good tactics on how to deal with returns... I would like to hear it as eBay, so far have not helped me one bit after 3 phone calls and in excess of 2.5 hours on the phone.

Message 1 of 13
Latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Re: REFUNDS + EBAY COMMUNICATION + PAY PAL HOLDS

It sounds like everything is moving in the right direction, which I'm glad to hear. The biggest problem with eBay's return request system is that there are no fail-safes (that us plebs are aware of, at any rate) to deal with these kinds of situations - by which I mean neither the buyer nor eBay can manually change the reason for a request if the wrong one was chosen, in error or by (provable) intention, which leaves a very strict and narrow path for the request to follow. This means that the "best" eBay (or the buyer) can do is close an erroneous case (happens, but rarely, especially for eBay to do it), or attempt to fix / compensate for errors retroactively.

At least in this case, by eBay formally advising the buyer that return postage costs will be their responsibility, they have removed a good part of the incentive for the buyer to return the goods, since they seem to be wanting to take advantage of a lower price (at the seller's expense). I suspect (hope) that this will mean the cost will outweigh the potential savings, and they will do what they should have done in the first place - keep the item and feel the mild sting of regret that they didn't do their homework properly when they were shopping (ideally they would learn that A) finding an item cheaper doesn't mean a seller overcharged and it doesn't mean they're entitled to some form of recompense, and B) it's unacceptable to try and force someone else to pay for the decisions they regret). 

Message 11 of 13
Latest reply

There is also no guarantee the item was cheaper elsewhere at the time of purchase.

Message 12 of 13
Latest reply

Welcome to Scambay.

Where the scammer is enabled by Ebay themselves to steal your items.

My favourite is the one where they lodge a claim, then keep quiet till its time for Ebay to step in and voila.. money back and keep the item..

Message 13 of 13
Latest reply