Return cancellation

jojo0565
Community Member

Can anyone tell me how long it takes for a return to be cancelled if the buyer doesn't return the item?

Message 1 of 37
Latest reply
4 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Re: Return cancellation

Providing neither you or the buyer asks eBay to step in, it should eventually just time out. Something is telling me it's 30 days.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 37
Latest reply

The buyer should have been given a date by which they should return the item.  You should also have been told that date or it should be stated in the return request.  Once that date has passed, you should update the return request to let eBay know that you have not received the item back and eBay should then close the request in your favour.

Cheers,

Penny

Message 3 of 37
Latest reply

We had a buyer open an Item Not Received case a while back.

We responded via the case asking for confirmation of address.

But there was never any response from the buyer.

I thought they closed after 30-days too. But 30-days came and went and it was still open.

So I rang ebay about it. They said it should automatically close after 30-days with no penalty to us.

The CSR said not to escalate it and they would forward it to the technical team.

3-days later the case closed without penalty to us.

Ended up 45-days all up from the time it was opened.

And we have still not heard anything more from the buyer.

Message 4 of 37
Latest reply

When I had a return request, there wasn't any option on the return request to let ebay know that the item hadn't been received by a certain date.

It was 43 days before the return request was closed.

Message 5 of 37
Latest reply
36 REPLIES 36

Providing neither you or the buyer asks eBay to step in, it should eventually just time out. Something is telling me it's 30 days.

Message 2 of 37
Latest reply

The buyer should have been given a date by which they should return the item.  You should also have been told that date or it should be stated in the return request.  Once that date has passed, you should update the return request to let eBay know that you have not received the item back and eBay should then close the request in your favour.

Cheers,

Penny
Message 3 of 37
Latest reply

We had a buyer open an Item Not Received case a while back.

We responded via the case asking for confirmation of address.

But there was never any response from the buyer.

I thought they closed after 30-days too. But 30-days came and went and it was still open.

So I rang ebay about it. They said it should automatically close after 30-days with no penalty to us.

The CSR said not to escalate it and they would forward it to the technical team.

3-days later the case closed without penalty to us.

Ended up 45-days all up from the time it was opened.

And we have still not heard anything more from the buyer.

Message 4 of 37
Latest reply

When I had a return request, there wasn't any option on the return request to let ebay know that the item hadn't been received by a certain date.

It was 43 days before the return request was closed.

Message 5 of 37
Latest reply

jojo0565
Community Member

Thank you everyone for your responses.  I've finally found out from ebay that it takes 36 business days for a return request to be cancelled if the item is not returned and no response is heard from the buyer.

In this case, the buyer has advised me via phone and message that they have decided to keep the item as it's working correctly.  However, she can't work out how to cancel the return request.  Although I've asked ebay to step in and contact the buyer for confirmation and have the return cancelled, they have just advised me to contact the buyer asking them to contact ebay.  Seems to be going around in circles.

This has been a comedy of problems.  Being my first sale on ebay, the payment was held up in paypal anyway.... plus the buyer took a few days before making payment, then almost a week after receiving the item before lodging the return request.... so although my item sold on the 28th March, I won't have payment until the 3rd June and that's if the cancellation of return request happens automatically, which by some of your messages it won't.

It's certainly not a good first experience, not sure I'll sell on ebay again.

Message 6 of 37
Latest reply

36 business days? That's random.

I've only ever had 1 return request in 2 yrs and 99% of my transactions have gone smoothly, so don't be disheartened Smiley Happy

Message 7 of 37
Latest reply

Just be really careful now that you've asked eBay to step in and help. 99.9% of the time when a seller does that, regardless of the reason, eBay immediately refunds the buyer without them having to return the item and closes the dispute. Check your PayPal account to ensure that hasn't happened. Even though your funds were being held, PayPal will release them to refund a buyer.

Message 8 of 37
Latest reply

2 Days.

Message 9 of 37
Latest reply

please do not tell posters to ignore other posters, you are not a moderator.

Message 10 of 37
Latest reply