Safe drop

Hi,I have sold items in the past fortnight and when I check tracking it says delivered by Safe Drop what exactly does this mean has the item been delivered or is at PO waiting to be collected.I apologise in advance if this has been discussed before,I must have missed it.

Message 1 of 29
Latest reply
28 REPLIES 28

Re: Safe drop

Please read what I wrote.

The complaint was that if something was stolen from your safe drop area, you couldn't write it off. Which means you are probably buying to resell, but not declaring the income.

Message 21 of 29
Latest reply

@lyndal1838 wrote:

I have not noticed too many problems being posted on the boards re the Safe Drop option in the 16 months since this thread was started.

It is obviously not causing too much angst or there would be other sellers posting here.

I love Safe Drop.  I have a good sized letterbox so some items for safe drop will fit in it anyway.  I also have a good Safe Drop spot for larger parcels which the Aust Post contractor knows well, and with clear directions couriers also use.  I won't buy from anyone who insists on Registered Post.  In the past I was rarely home when they were delivered.  Now with mobility issues I am too slow getting to the door in time, and now I'm unable to collect the item from the PO if I miss the delivery.  Safe Drop is the best thing ever.

Message 22 of 29
Latest reply

I heartily concur....I would be lost without Safe Drop these days as I am often unable to get to the door before delivery drivers leave.

I have had the same AP contractor for the last 12 years and he always safe drops my parcels these days....rarely bothers to ring the bell any more.  My postman is relatively new....about 18 months now.....and I am still training him but he is showing great promise and is nearly as good as my last long term postman.

I try to avoid couriers as much as possible but most of the usual ones know me and my mobility problems.  If I cannot arrange a safe drop they will wait for me to get to the door.

Message 23 of 29
Latest reply

I've used couriers when it's been the only option (some companies just don't offer AP delivery), plus if I buy something too heavy.  However I read the small print and try to buy from companies that permit Authority to Leave / Safe Drop.

In the delivery note option I not only include asking for Safe Drop, I also suggest exactly where to put the parcel - as in not just at the back door or behind the wheelie bin or in the garage or whatever, but I ask them NOT to put it right in front of the doorway so the screen door can't be opened! (You'd think that would be obvious).

Also, if there's no avoiding Registered Post (sometimes the case with medications) I include a note for them to knock loudly and wait for me...and I explain why, including if they don't wait I can't collect the item.

There's only so much space to put a message on the parcel so I have been paring them down and saving a selection that I can copy and paste as required.

Message 24 of 29
Latest reply

Safe drop for me means having items left in full view of any low life walking past and easily grabbed. It means lots of stolen parcels. I hate it when a seller sets an ATL on my behalf. I am happy to pick up from wherever, just don't leave it at my front door.

Message 25 of 29
Latest reply

@love_of_cars wrote:

I recall there was some talk on this forum last week about AP delivery workers taking photos of parcels they have safe dropped, as proof it was delivered.

Yeah the postie that delivers here takes photos...

Message 26 of 29
Latest reply

@northern_4x4 wrote:

@love_of_cars wrote:

I recall there was some talk on this forum last week about AP delivery workers taking photos of parcels they have safe dropped, as proof it was delivered.

At the time this information was posted the photo system was not yet in operation but it is now....it only applies to Signature on Delivery items and is proof that they have been delivered.

Other items can be left with no photographic proof of delivery.

Message 27 of 29
Latest reply

@lyndal1838 wrote:

@northern_4x4 wrote:

@love_of_cars wrote:

At the time this information was posted the photo system was not yet in operation but it is now....it only applies to Signature on Delivery items and is proof that they have been delivered.

Other items can be left with no photographic proof of delivery.

Our postie takes a pic on parcels that dont require a sig. Seen him do it many times, he delivers to me almost every day.

Theres no gain on taking a pic of a parcel with SOD. Unless they take an actual pic of the recipient holding the item. ๐Ÿ˜„

Message 28 of 29
Latest reply

The picture is taken when a SOD parcel is Safe Dropped....it is meant to show the location where it has been left, in place of a signature.

There is no need for a photo if it is not SOD as by default the parcel can be left anyway.

Message 29 of 29
Latest reply