Sales down a lot this Christmas from previous years

Just wondering if anyone else is experiencing the same huge down full in sales this Christmas from previous Christmas's? I am feeling that it is all due to the Big Retailer's over discounts?

Message 1 of 48
Latest reply
47 REPLIES 47

Re: Sales down a lot this Christmas from previous years

@rachelle011273 wrote:

I had 4 sales for the total weekend

I think I was only visible in some parts of Victoria

one on Friday to VIC postcode 3934

one on Saturday to VIC postcode 3988

two on Sunday to VIC postcode 3980 and 3803

I've also had mostly Victorians, and I thought that it could be because they are staying home/inside and shopping online, seeing as it's been so hot.

My sales are up on previous years', but that's because I've doubled my inventory.

I've just had someone in VIC buy an item from me and demand that it must arrive by Christmas. To make it even better, they live in Wonthaggi (which I believe is one of the fire-affected areas). Goody. Smiley Indifferent

Message 21 of 48
Latest reply

My sales are down around 30% on last years figures. I have to admit, I have not done any serious listing for several months as I have been spending time off ebay building a sheep grazing business.  This does make a difference and my figures may be better if I had put the time into ebay.

Ebay has been my main source of income for several years and has provided our family with a good income stream comparable to a "normal" full time job, but I would not be able to pay all of the bills with my current turnover.

I have just had minor surgery ( carpel tunnel ) so will spend a couple of weeks listing. It will be interesting to see if this kick starts things again and gets my figures back up. 

Message 22 of 48
Latest reply

@everard6920 wrote:

@rachelle011273 wrote:

I had 4 sales for the total weekend

I think I was only visible in some parts of Victoria

one on Friday to VIC postcode 3934

one on Saturday to VIC postcode 3988

two on Sunday to VIC postcode 3980 and 3803

I've also had mostly Victorians, and I thought that it could be because they are staying home/inside and shopping online, seeing as it's been so hot.

My sales are up on previous years', but that's because I've doubled my inventory.

I've just had someone in VIC buy an item from me and demand that it must arrive by Christmas. To make it even better, they live in Wonthaggi (which I believe is one of the fire-affected areas). Goody. Smiley Indifferent

If they want it by Christmas, they need to pay extra for express. Even then, there's no guarantees if they are in a fire affected area. Sounds like potential trouble in the making! Why are people leaving it until the last minute to buy Christmas stuff, knowing there is a high chance it won't arrive in time? Madness!

Message 23 of 48
Latest reply

With so many of us reportng significantly decreased sales (and no doubt it is pretty much across the board for most sellers) eBay must be feeling it! The greater propotion of my fees are for FVFs and these would be down about 30% on this time last year (and every month this financial year has been down from previous year(s).

The must be sellers who have already decided selling on eBay is no longer viable and if this trend continues, more (like myself), will need to either consider other selling platforms (or as many have suggested) get a 'real job'.

It will be interesting to observe how eBay progresses in the coming years.

Most sellers are disgruntled (just read these boards) and there are so many more online platforms to choose from than the were even 5 years ago.

Message 24 of 48
Latest reply

@rachelle011273 wrote:

my lights have been turned out for some time now

one sale a day if I am lucky

not a very favourable scenario

A few weeks ago, when we had the 150 free listings, I posted on another thread that I had a particularly collectable piece of pottery for sale - and that it had 8 views, 3 of which were mine.  Re-listed, and this last week the item had 52 views,...AND A SALE.

So definitely agree with the lights off.

And whilst my category does not have pieces walking out the door, last year I was flat out packing pottery.  Hasn't happened this year.

Message 25 of 48
Latest reply

well I hope ebay are content with the fees they are deriving from the big name stores on here, I mean I think that is one of the reasons I have been shut down not that I consider myself any kind of competition but must be written in some kind of contract bar everyone for all the major holidays lol

personally I would not be buying from dick smith at the moment lol lordy what a lot of whoa they are in ... customer service operators just hanging up on angry consumers wanting to know where the xmas presents are and will they even be received in time

this I predict will be the future of ebay big name sellers only with a handful of smaller stores pretty much similar to a b&m so why the hell would you purchase on ebay when you could simply go visit any westfield lol

new years resolution for me will be to wind down on ebay and get a real job ... shame up to sept 2014 I was deriving a decent income

Message 26 of 48
Latest reply

With money tight as well as more reseller's entering the market...not surprised......

Maybe look at way you sell and used all option open to you get the market.......

negativity helps no one ........

Message 27 of 48
Latest reply

Personally I wouldn't call fact, negativity.  I would say reality.

Message 28 of 48
Latest reply

Plus Wonthaggi is in rural Vic, so unlikely to be in an Express area. And any parcel will have to run the Sunshine West gauntlet.

Message 29 of 48
Latest reply

@davewil1964 wrote:

Plus Wonthaggi is in rural Vic, so unlikely to be in an Express area. And any parcel will have to run the Sunshine West gauntlet.

Should only take 2 days then. I'm not in the network and it takes 2 days for express, even to rural WA.

Message 30 of 48
Latest reply