Seller Vent Time.........

OK,

eBay gives me options to state how long an item will take to get to them. The ad in which the item is listed also states (quite largely) how long the item takes to get to the customer.  If the item is out of stock when its bought and needs to be ordered back in the ad clearly states waiting time, but communication will be made if this happens....

Ebay gives me the power to do all these things to give a customer a strong customer based experience..... RIGHT?

Someone explain to me why it is that when a customer doesn't read the ad and its terms why am I still responsible for their short comings when it comes to comprehending the writen word?

Why when you get negative feedback, which is dated mind you, that eBay can't step in a back up the seller and say well, the ad did state and you just didn't read it correctly... Negative strike dismissed against the seller.

Just because you don't get to see the seller in most cases doesn't mean that you can become arrogant or offensive to another human being.

Why, Oh Why eBay decided to take away the right for a seller to give negative feedback blows my mind.

End rant.

PS: by the way I am not talking about my account, my wife is trying to start up a business and customers have found ways to rought the system whether it be through postage or charge backs to paypal. Very hard to stay afloat when some people find that you can get stuff for free, all you gotta do is complain.

Message 1 of 13
Latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Re: Seller Vent Time.........

Re chargebacks, post with postage that you can prove it was posted to the address on record with paypal to get seller protection.

As for the other WHY would you even list items that you do not have?

If you are drop shipping then that is the risk you take.

The estimated times for delivery is way out to what shows in ebays estimates.

Without seeing the listings and feedback it is hard to give a more accurate reply BUT it is known that buyers do not read all the terms etc in a listing and more so when it reads like a novel.

Message 2 of 13
Latest reply

Do you just say in the listing that items may be out of stock and will take longer? If so that is unacceptable, you either list items as in stock or you have to list them as pre-order items, you cannot hedge your bets and hope buyers don't neg you if your items take longer to arrive because of your poor stock control.

As for chargebacks I presume you mean Paypal claims, chargebacks which are done through a card providers bank are a rare occurrence, it is very easy to counteract, you either use registered letter, click and send, red satchel with signature required or eparcel so you are covered or if your items are cheap and it isn't worth spending the extra you build a small amount into the sale price of each item to cover the occasional item not received claim just as B&M stores up the price of items to cover shoplifting and damage caused by customers trawling through their goods.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 3 of 13
Latest reply

We dont list items that we dont have, but items can go in and out of stock within a few days of each other, other sites such as facebook, twitter and also physical sales like markets cycle our stock alot. If I had to pull down and upload every time it would cost me a fortune in listing fees alone. Its not practical.

This is why why can state that items can take a little longer to ship in some circumstances. Its business, we are not the only ones who do this, it just feels that I could write "mary had a little lamb" when describing an item and it wouldnt matter..... People wont read it, but every successful ebayer, I'm talking the top 1 or 2 percent who are killing it in sales alway state, "Good Pictures and Great Descriptions."

RE: Charge backs, if you charge extra for postage people question the postage price, you lose sales. It doesn't help when Australia Post has increased their prices and gotten worse with their service. So if you register your item you run the risk of losing the sale due to being told your postage is over priced, if you give the option of cheaper postage with no tracking and the item STILL GOES MISSING, guess who's looking for their money back???????

Message 4 of 13
Latest reply

Poor stock control.... ??
Nothing like sticking the boot in when opportunity arrives......
Message 5 of 13
Latest reply

@kombat_barbie wrote:

We dont list items that we dont have, but items can go in and out of stock within a few days of each other, other sites such as facebook, twitter and also physical sales like markets cycle our stock alot. If I had to pull down and upload every time it would cost me a fortune in listing fees alone. Its not practical.

This is why why can state that items can take a little longer to ship in some circumstances. Its business, we are not the only ones who do this, it just feels that I could write "mary had a little lamb" when describing an item and it wouldnt matter..... People wont read it, but every successful ebayer, I'm talking the top 1 or 2 percent who are killing it in sales alway state, "Good Pictures and Great Descriptions."

RE: Charge backs, if you charge extra for postage people question the postage price, you lose sales. It doesn't help when Australia Post has increased their prices and gotten worse with their service. So if you register your item you run the risk of losing the sale due to being told your postage is over priced, if you give the option of cheaper postage with no tracking and the item STILL GOES MISSING, guess who's looking for their money back???????

Part of eBay's T&Cs is that you don't list items on other sites unless you have enough stock to cover potential sales.

Maybe stick to those other venues if eBay is too hard.

And you obviously didn't read all of what phorm junkie wrote. Hmmm?

Message 6 of 13
Latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

Nothing like sticking the boot in when opportunity arrives......

Yes, some members are very good at that

Message 7 of 13
Latest reply

You could see it as sticking the boot in, or you could see it as other sellers trying to get you to see that you're providing conflicting information in listings about stock availability and delivery times (quantity available & handling/estimated delivery time vs disclaimers in the description), and that sometimes buyer expectations aren't being met with the current listing method.

That gives you two options - keep doing what you're doing and wait for eBay and/or the buyers to change what they're doing, or change what you're doing. Only one of those options provides you with any control over the outcome, so I know which one I'd choose. 

Message 8 of 13
Latest reply

To quote the OP in their opening post โ€ฆ โ€œSomeone explain to me why it is that when a customer doesn't read the adโ€

Mate, you can never win, because as the customer who can not read, nor can the posters who like to troll these boards

The OP clearly states โ€œby the way I am not talking about my account,โ€

Yet they try to put the boot into you, re YOUR account โ€ฆ which by the way, has 100% feedback from buyers (genuine feedback, not meaningless feedback from sellers) โ€ฆ  DSRs โ€ฆ a 5.0 and 3 x 4.9 from over 200 ratings โ€ฆ and โ€ฆ Excellent feedback comments โ€ฆ eg โ€ฆ thank you seller โ€ฆ perfect โ€ฆ very happy โ€ฆ fast postage โ€ฆ great seller โ€ฆ fantastic seller โ€ฆ thank you ... etc etc etc

Some are so quick to put the boot in, they pick on the wrong target โ€ฆ Says it all really !

Message 9 of 13
Latest reply

I both read and understood the OP perfectly clearly, as well as the response, where the word 'we' was used, not 'the other person who handles the other account'. Using you, you're etc is correct grammar - the context can be general and doesn't necessarily mean the response is directed specifically at or to the OP. 

So, perhaps it just says what you (that is a direct and specific address in this context, by the way), interpret it as. 

Having conflicting information in a listing is not the greatest idea, regardless of the reasons the info conflicts. You can't say "From a smoke-free household" in one area of the description, then have a disclaimer saying "except sometimes items will be exposed to a lot of smoke - luck of the draw, take your chances!", any more than you can say "will post within 24 hours of receiving payment" (as an example) then go one to have a disclaimer saying "unless we're out of stock, then you'll have to wait longer..."

People who do read the ads, by the way, would probably want to know for sure if their order is going to be delayed. Personally, if I insisted on listing that way, I would both increase the handling time so that anything I can ship immediately arrives before the stated estimation (thus exceeding customer expectations) and allow some lee-way for time to replenish stock, as well as contact the buyers of items that will be subject to any delays ASAP and let them know. If you (or your wife) aren't already letting the buyers know when there will be a delay, I suggest start doing that. Pre-emptive strikes, and all that. 

Message 10 of 13
Latest reply