Selling account restricted permanently

Hi all,

My selling privileges were restricted yesterday because of the new ebay ratings. My DSR was very good but i had several cancelled transactions because of an item that i ran out of stock.

I know that i should not have something listed that i did not have avaialble however this was only for a short period (7 days). Most of the buyers were happy to wait for this dvd but there were some that wanted it cancelled and refunded. Now i feel like i should not have communicated to these buyers as i would not be in the position i am in right now. But yes, i advised all these buyers that i ran out of this title and i would have it within 7 days but i am happy to refund it if required.

I have never used the ebay inventory manager tool as i have my own system that i pay a subscription for to manage my stock levels and ordering.

I contacted Ebay customer service yesterday and was advised from their call centre in the Phillipines that this decision was final and irreversable. I argued that i was a loyal ebay customer for 10 plus years. Had paid all my fees (approx $500.00 per month) on time without delay, had feedback of >99% and my DSR's were of a high standard. I also mentioned that my rating changed on 20/08/14 and that i had 20 days to try and fix this before my account was suspended. Their response to this was "we understand but the decision is final". I then asked to be transferred to comeone who was based in Australia and who had the authority to do something about this. The response was that they support the Australian opertations and there was no one else i could contact.

I have sent an email via Ebay last night in the hope that it would get escalated somewhere but the call centre i spoke with.

Has anyone else been in this position and if so who did you contact and what was the outome?

Help and assistance needed please?

Regards

John (In2 DVD)

Message 1 of 330
Latest reply
329 REPLIES 329

Wow, just sad, so sorry to hear this has happened to you.

There are some truly shocking sellers out there, one is Dick Smith Ebay (96% fb, and plenty of negs/neutral/defects) -  the only thing that saves them is their volume, that, and Ebay gives these guys preferential treatment all the time when it comes to their big Sunday sales.

Message 61 of 330
Latest reply

Hi all,
I have started the petition on change.org as "Abolish New Seller Performance Standards".
Feel free to go over and sign.
Cheers
John
Message 62 of 330
Latest reply

can you please post a link to it... i searched for it and nothing is coming up.... 

Message 63 of 330
Latest reply

@jpamboris wrote:

Yes this was due to one item that i did not enough of. the movie Popeye it was with Robin Williams. The day he passed away and the week thereafter i sold more than 100 of them. I only had about 25 available. I was not using the inventory manager so i got burnt.

I have learned my lesson but it seems as though ebay does not allow for any mistakes or errors.

While I don't necessarily agree with you getting a permanent suspension, it's a pity you couldn't have been a little more honest about what really happened.  This was no mistake or error on your part, it was a deliberate choice.

Robin Williams died on the 11th, which would have been the 12th in Australian time.

You sold one Popeye DVD on the 12th, then you did a brand new listing for 10 more, which sold out in less than three hours the same afternoon.

By this time you would have had no excuse for not knowing exactly how many you had left in stock, and that they would sell really fast, yet late on the 12th you did a brand new listing for 100 more, even though you only had about 25 in stock.  Forget stock management systems, you should have been able to physically see that you had nothing like that many in stock!

You sold 2 more late on the 12th, then you sold 60 on the 13th, and another 38 on the 14th.  Even if you didn't know how many you had left on the 12th when you did the listing, you should have known by the end of the 13th and pulled the listing, yet you chose to let it run in the hope that your customers would be willing to wait for new stock to arrive.

Not only did you very deliberately list a LOT more than you had in stock, this isn't the first time you've listed items not in stock.  You've got 2 green dots on your first few pages of feedback for items sold that couldn't be supplied, you've got four neutrals and 1 neg in the last year for the same thing.  How many others left false positives or didn't bother leaving feedback at all is anyone's guess.

Your previous history of listing items you don't have in stock means you've had ample time to learn from your mistakes when it comes to stock control, and you've had ample time to check your defects and know you were getting close to the limit.

Message 64 of 330
Latest reply

Hi, try the link below. Let me know of any issues?

https://www.change.org/p/ebay-abolish-the-new-seller-performance-standards

Message 65 of 330
Latest reply

Yes i always have done this. I don't think i have been dishonest. I don't use the ebay inventory tool. A lot of my items were selling and when i relisted i would relist 100 so the listing would not end from someone buying it.

Please feel free to check other listing to see if i have relisted 100.

Message 66 of 330
Latest reply

And do you think this is worthy of a permanent ban? Robin Williams dies and his movies went through the roof for selling. Each year around the Titanic sinking anniversary i sell much more of a movie i don't usually sell much of. Each Easter i sell more biblical films. All of this is relative and evens itself out.

The popeye film i had on hand witihin 1-2 weeks. I also told buyers that i did not have it in stock and it would be between 1-2 weeks but happy to refund. Some requested a refund but the majority were happy to wait. Again i ask you, is this worthy of a ban? Most would agree that what i did was probably not right however as in a lot of cases, the punishment certainly does not fit the crime.

Message 67 of 330
Latest reply

You obviously don't always relist 100 so an item doesn't end from being sold out. On the 12th you did 3 listings for Popeye - 1 item available in the first listing, 10 available in the 2nd, and 100 in the 3rd. Why worry about the listing ending from being sold out when you'd already had two other listings end for the same reason?

That's not why you did it - you were hoping to cash in on Robin Williams' death and get extra sales. You obviously knew you'd get extra sales, by your comments about always selling more of the Titanic at a certain time of year.

It's against the rules to list stock you don't have, unless you state that you're drop-shipping. You gambled on being able to hang onto all the extra sales and you lost, so how can you blame anyone else?

You state that you let your buyers know you didn't have it stock but you didn't do this until after they'd bought it. You should have had it in the listing if you were waiting on new stock.

Is it worthy of a permanent ban? I said at the start of my previous post that I didn't think it was, but the defect system is partly aimed at stopping people listing what they can't supply and the punishment has to be severe enough to be a deterrent.
Message 68 of 330
Latest reply

Same sort of thing happened to my daughter on her account.  She ordered several phone cases, they were marked posted and about 3 days later she received a message saying one was not available - the nicest one of course !  Lol, she puts up with my ranting all the time, so she messaged back and said, no, you have lied, you marked it as posted - so find one !!  Mmm, will have to check with her, not actually sure of the outcome of that one 🙂

Have read another post which said a lot of the Tracking Numbers are fake also !!  I'd like to see us get away with that !

Message 69 of 330
Latest reply

Ok you have your opinion and you are entitled to it. I hate relisting because an item sold. I prefer to relist only when an item ends. Believe me or not, that's your call.

My intention is not to defraud or lie to anyone.

You also mentioned about the Titanic dvd? Yes, i make sure i have enough to cover me for that period. I would be pretty silly not to.

Even when my seller account was closed, i am 100% certain that i had at least one title that i did not have on hand. 

Message 70 of 330
Latest reply