Selling food on Ebay

Just discovered that one can sell HOME-MADE food on Ebay!

Holy cow - you can't sell your home-made cookies at the local market, but you can send them off in the post all over the world?

I may have just discovered a new batch of items to sell - after all, hubby is a chef.....

Message 1 of 30
Latest reply
29 REPLIES 29

Re: Selling food on Ebay

Actually, can you imagine trying to get some of the honey/chroizo sausages/fish roe through Australian customs?

Message 11 of 30
Latest reply

not saying *this* food or this seller in particular but there are far too many questionable individuals allowed to frequent ebay. I don't care to take my chances on what extra things may have possibly  been added,at least in home made items that are not in any kind of 'factory sealed' packaging ,Plus given Australia Post's inability to 'deliver' I would'nt want food of that nature floating around in the summer heat for God only knows how long

Message 12 of 30
Latest reply

In all honesty, I would not buy any food that contains meat, poultry or fish, but I would try things like the cookies and fudge.

Message 13 of 30
Latest reply

You can still get very sick from food prepared

by people who have no idea of food handling procedures

That's why I never eat anything cooked by OH,   lol -

I always get sick when he cooks

Message 14 of 30
Latest reply

So...at your place Stawks, we'd know whether you like us if invited 'round for a meal. OH's just in the kitchen...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Buttercup: You mock my pain! Man in Black: Life is pain, Highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something.
Message 15 of 30
Latest reply

As far as I can see there is no restrictions on selling home made food on Ebay australia but anyone doing so would still need to have a registered kitchen and food handling certificates according to their state legislation, just like people selling at markets. I guess it would be up to the buyers to make sure that the seller is allowed to sell, maybe asking for a copy of their certificate.

I don't know but maybe food sellers listings are occasionally inspected by the authorrities just like market sellers.

Latest reply

@moonandstarsshop wrote:

In all honesty, I would not buy any food that contains meat, poultry or fish, but I would try things like the cookies and fudge.

You would be lucy to get most of that food through Australian Customs.

Commercially prepared and packaged foodstuffs might get through but homemade is a different kettle of fish.

Personally I would not take the chance of losing my money if I did not get the goods.....there is no ebay/paypal protection for items seized by Customs.

Message 17 of 30
Latest reply

All that aside lyndal1838, ...would l have an ebay claim if Human or Animal Hair was "found" in my piece of Fudge ????

Are there photos of them wearing their Hair Nets, and Hand Gloves ??

Me thinks not.
Message 18 of 30
Latest reply

Harley-I would not trust buying food on ebay. anything could be in it.

------------------------

I was nodding in agreement with this at first and then thought-hang on a minute, I bought all the chocolate hearts for the wedding bombonniers from ebay a couple of years ago. Plus I bought some cinnamon just a week or two back.Smiley Happy

I suppose the difference was that they seemed not to be hand made as such, both sellers seemed to be operating on a commercial scale.

Chocolates could be an issue in hot weather but many of the sellers who deal with this seem to either send couriers or padded bags etc, depending on the time of year/weather. I know we had no trouble.

Message 19 of 30
Latest reply

Country.Barn -

even in restaurant and hotel kitchens, chefs do not wear hair nets and use gloves only in certain types of preparation.

You would only find hair net/glove combos in large scale production kitchens ie: hospital catering, airline catering etc.

Message 20 of 30
Latest reply