Share you irritating buyer stories here

I need to be made to feel better, by knowing everyone else is dealing with stupid buyers as well.

Just had a buyer ask me a question about the sizing of an item AFTER they purchased it. Who wants to bet it wont fit and it'll be my fault in their eyes?

In the same day I had an item which I sent out two months ago returned to me, and today I got a reply from the buyer. They said 'oh, yeah, we've moved, here's the new address'. Well, hold on, firstly, you didn't notice your item go missing for two months?? Secondly, there is a second lot of postage to be paid on this now, you think I'm just going to foot the bill because you moved and gave me your old address? Seriously?

Tell me your stupid buyer story of the week, make me feel better ๐Ÿ™‚

Message 1 of 58
Latest reply
57 REPLIES 57

Re: Share you irritating buyer stories here

@cq_tech wrote:
That should only count as 1 defect in total though, shouldn't it, as long as all feedback is left in the same 7-day period?

Kind of. It's one defective transaction, but still nearly 30 individual defects, so while my TRS is still safe (for now), it seems to be affecting sales - going on timing and how my sales have been since the FB was left - so either it's directly affected my visibiity, or eBay have just conincidentally decided it's time to dim my lights. (Or there's that other possibility where there's nothing to pin point, other than there's just less people wanting my stuff Smiley LOL ). 

For defect purposes, 1 transaction = 1 purchase, or however many payments there are (eg if one buyer purchases 2 items and makes one payment, that's one transaction, if a different buyer purchases 5 items and pays for them individually, that's 5 transactions), so the same buyer can create a higher defect count depending on how they checkout, but ultimately it doesn't matter if they purchases one minute or one month apart, there still needs to be defects from at least 4 other buyers for it to affect TRS, or 7 other buyers for it to affect selling privileges. 

I'm just disappointed they came from another seller. 

Message 41 of 58
Latest reply

OK, so although they're listed on your seller's dashboard as 30-odd individual defects, because they're from the same buyer they only count as one; I get that now. Coming from another seller though, I can understand why you'd be disappointed, and it would be hard to imagine that it was anything other than intentional. Is it a rival seller, perhaps?
Message 42 of 58
Latest reply

@cq_tech wrote:
Coming from another seller though, I can understand why you'd be disappointed, and it would be hard to imagine that it was anything other than intentional. Is it a rival seller, perhaps?

It's very difficult not to take it as intentionally vindictive.....but there are too many unknown factors, so I'm doing my best to refrain from making assumptions. They are blocked now, though. As much because I can't contact them to discuss it as it is a bid to prevent it from happening again, because frankly, the only opportunity I can see to talk to them about it is if they ask a direct question concerning it (ie if they do happen to try and purchase from me again, and wonder why they can't, I can then at least answer honestly). 

Message 43 of 58
Latest reply

BUMP.

I've had a few numpties lately.

Numpty #1

I had a New Zealand buyer purchase about 10 of my items, and then message asking for combined postage. I invoiced her with combined postage.

It was higher than she expected (FYI, it was the actual rate charged by Australia Post. No handling fees. No 10%). She said that she thought postage would be about the same as it was to Australia because New Zealand is close to Australia.

The cost of postage to New Zealand is included in every listing . . . and she somehow thought the combined postage of 10 items would be less than even one item's postage. I have no idea why. 

I blocked her. She realised this and refused to respond to my mutual cancellation request as a result. Okay.

Numpty #2 (various numpties)

I sell items that are "mini". There are larger, standard versions of this item. So when I sell the "mini" version, I put "mini" in the item title, "mini" in the description, the dimensions, a picture for size comparison, and a note that says "please note that you are buying the MINI version of this item".

Various feedback has ensued, all complaining about how the items are smaller than expected (someone even dinged my "item as described" DSR, even though the item is exactly as described . . . )

Numpty #3

A buyer from Italy asked me to unblock Italy so that they could purchase some items (I sell some wooden items, and Italy does not allow the importation of wooden items). I agreed, but re-iterated that they wouldn't be able to purchase any of my wooden items, as I wouldn't be able to post those to him. So he buys . . . . 5 wooden items.

Message 44 of 58
Latest reply

I had a buyer this week commit to buy 5 items ,THEN asks me what sort of deal I can give him because he bought several items...I said you usually ask that question BEFORE you buy...........As far as he knows hes not getting anything but what he ordered at the price he clicked on but just because Im a nice person I will chuck in a strawberry plant for trying

Message 45 of 58
Latest reply

^ Yes . . . I love it when someone spends less than $10 (or in some cases, $5) in my store and asks for a discount. Common sense dictates that any discount you get will be a few cents, if that.

But I also work retail in my day job, and I've learnt that people will do anything for a dollar. Last week, we had "10% off" coupons . . . someone bought 2 x $2.50 items and tried to use two coupons. One coupon per customer, they were told. So they had their wife line up in our (very big) queue and wait, so that she could use the second coupon and save 25 cents.

I blame the media for much of it. There are constant articles and TV segments about "how to save money" and they always involve pestering shop assistants (online and offline) for discounts.

Message 46 of 58
Latest reply

Best one I had was the buyer who said her husband would divorce her for paying the postage. Item was a game console with a stack of games, steering wheel, guitars, so quite bulky. Despite listing saying pick up she bought it and paid straight away. When I told her postage was $96.00 Melb to country QLD at 7kg, she got narky and said but it's free postage. No it's free local pick up.  Anyway she then said she couldn't afford the postage and that I should pay it because the cost of the item is more than enough to cover the postage. OMG is the lady for real!!! Anyway ended up getting courier quote and it cost $65.00, but what a fruit cake!!

Message 47 of 58
Latest reply

There is definatly some special people out thereSmiley LOL funniest special person ive delt with, showed up in a mitsubishi 2 door lancer to look at fiberglass hull inflatable boat[sad poor needing serious puncture/seam repair] no one had bidded by then, so long story short took cheap offer/cancel , no roof racks had to string rope the thing[flat & floppy] to the roof put him in the car and tie the silly f#@%$r in it. then his trip down monavale road, M2 & M7 home, never heard from him again, he bought it to go fishing for 20 pound tuna in south sydney somewere,  I thought he would be on the news that night, so I watched to make sure.  I have a picture somewhere of it but know idea how to put one up or if I can here       

Message 48 of 58
Latest reply

I have been lucky, I mainly sell DVD's, but never had anything happen like what is described here. I only get some non payers, I think that is because they change their mind about buying the DVD. It is annoying but so are the flies in summer, so I count myself lucky having smart buyers! Smiley Happy But after admitting this and reading what else is happening I am going to find some wood to touch, as I may have just jinxed myself.

Message 49 of 58
Latest reply

I had a propor doozy buyer this week. Sent approx $170 of party gear to the USA ( not on eBay, our website)  and the buyer paid via paypal. Following shipment buyer e-mails and says they have made a 'mistake' and want to cancel the order. We explain order has shipped and cannot be cancelled. How you make a mistake adding 15 items to a shoppping cart checking out and paying is beyond me. 20 minutes later a paypal claim for unauthorised use of account arrives.  Lukcy for us we have seller protection full tracking and proof of despatch plus a copy of buyers e-mail.  Claim is denied via evidence. BUyer then messages asking us why we are ' so mean' as to deny the claim! Erm so lets get this right...you spend $170 wait for us to ship it change your mind and expect us to foot the bill???? SO it doesnt just happen on eBay! How stupid can you get?

Message 50 of 58
Latest reply