Slow & Rude Payer

lrtmms
Community Member

I have sold a water damaged iPhone 4s that I had used as a parts donor at the starting bid of $20 + $8.50 post four days ago (Friday 11th). I sent the buyer a payment reminder a day after the listing ended as I wanted to ship it out on Monday along with other items at the same time. (It is a 20km/12.5mile round trip to the post office).

This is the response I got: I have 3 days don't be pushy

I know I was probably being a bit pushy but certainly didn't expect such a response! (Normally buyers pay within 12 hours)

The buyer only has two positive feedback scores. I thought I had enabled buyer restrictions on the listing but that may not have been the case.

Now that it is four days without payment, what is the best way to deal with this customer without them turning and destroying my eBay reputation. What if he recieves the item and starts a case arguing it is not as described etc? My description was very clear.

It is surprising it has to take so long to pay for an item you intend to purchase.

Ideally, I would like to cancel the purchase and consider hanging onto it as I don't want to sell it just to have my eBay reputation destroyed.

What are your thoughts and what are the options I can legally take through eBay?

Message 1 of 113
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Slow & Rude Payer

You can either open the case or contact eBay as he's now NARU'd,(not a registered user),good.gif

So he can't use eBay from that ID,Zen.gif

To contact eBay:

This gives you their direct links without having to go through their rigmarole:

eg: Call us,Call me,Chat with us and Email us,(Call me seemsto be the best option).

http://ocsnext.ebay.com.au/ocs/cusr?query=1485

Just keep in mind that Call us or Call me option are only available

during business hours,(8 am to 9 pm Mon to Fri and 8 am to

5 pm on Sat and Sun).

View solution in original post

Message 83 of 113
Latest reply
112 REPLIES 112

Slow & Rude Payer

Open a non paying buyer case. You will have to wait 4 days for it to close and they can pay during that time, but if they don't neither you nor they will be able to leave feedback. If they pay, send.

As far as a potential negative is concerned, that line has probably already been drawn in the sand by the bidder. Are you selling for money or feedback?

Message 2 of 113
Latest reply

Slow & Rude Payer

Thanks for your prompt reply. If I open a non paying buyer case, will this cause them to get aggressive?

I was selling it to get the extra money to help pay my seller fees but I don't want negative feedback and have PayPal refund the person for the sake of $20 and also loose the money plus the phone.

Message 3 of 113
Latest reply

Slow & Rude Payer

Ps. Can I just cancel the sale without opening an unpaid case?
Message 4 of 113
Latest reply

Slow & Rude Payer

I think you would have to ask the buyer to request that the sale be cancelled, and I dont like your chances with this buyer. Looks like he knows the rules and will make you wait a little longer. If he doesn't pay and you open a non payer dispute, and then he bags your feedback, surely you could get that removed as the buyer will be seen as in the wrong, but look out for the ebay buyer protection system, it can be very one sided these days, and protect the buyer while crucifying the seller.

Message 5 of 113
Latest reply

Slow & Rude Payer

Yes that's what I'm concerned about!

Is it best to wait, message him or open a dispute?
Message 6 of 113
Latest reply

Slow & Rude Payer

If you are concerned about the feedback thing, send the buyer a polite message explaining that ebay have already charged the commision fees to your account and if payment is not made in the next day, you will need to open a non payment dispute to get the fees back. Alternatively you can send the buyer a cancellation request if they have decided they no longer want the item. Remember to select, the buyer requested the cancellation for your reason in the cancel process. This is all fairly dissarming and gives your buyer a couple of options. Better to have a stroppy buyer opt out, rather than put up with their rubbish. Lifes too short.

Personally I dont muck around sending messages chasing buyers payments. I give them five days to a week or so to pay and then just follow up with an unpaid item dispute. This saves the agro of getting non paying buyers offside, as I simply dont enter into communication with them. I have never copped a neutral or negative feedback yet using this strategy.

Message 7 of 113
Latest reply

Slow & Rude Payer

Not forgetting that a cancellation allows the non-buyer to leave feedback.

Message 8 of 113
Latest reply

Slow & Rude Payer

Thank you.

I sent this to the buyer:

Hi,

As eBay have already charged the commision fees to my account and if payment is not made in the next day, I will need to open a non payment dispute to get the fees back. Alternatively I can send you a cancellation request if you no longer want the item.

Regards,

Message 9 of 113
Latest reply

Slow & Rude Payer

Here is his reply. ( I have censored the expletive)

I.get paid.tonight will bbbe f*****g paid dont be pusht

Message 10 of 113
Latest reply