The weekend free listings are now going to be rotational but how often

After contacting ebay, i was told that the weekend free listings are now rotational. 

but they won't tell me how often they will come around.

They said they couldn't tell me because it is computer generated.

Perhaps they don't know that you actually have to program a computer to get it to do that.

The programmer knows but they just won't tell. Why the big secret. It doesn't make sense.

And before you say there is already a thread about the weekend free listings - i started this one because the other one got taken over

by nasty trolls and has now gone down a different track.

so if anyone knows how often the rotations are could you please post on here.

thanks

Message 1 of 48
Latest reply
47 REPLIES 47

Re: The weekend free listings are now going to be rotational but how often

@casbit33 wrote:

I was hoping this thread was going to be troll free.

Who is trolling?

Message 21 of 48
Latest reply

<Removed> if i listed every listing for there full insertion fees i would go bacwards real fast like lose thousand witin the first month they raised the fvfs to 10 percent to get rid of insertion fees they say there saving us thousands with these promos but no one last very long on ebay using insertion fees i have been selling on ebay for 14 years and we cant exsist with out each other get rid of insertion fees all together and bump up fvfs a bit more make it simple and fair

@bluebudgies wrote:
Some of us didn't pay any FVFs for well over a year because we used the monthly promos that were totally fee free.

Message 22 of 48
Latest reply

If you bothered doing the maths you'd know that with the sales you get from your 1000+ listings it'd be worth opening a shop. <Removed>

Message 23 of 48
Latest reply

@casbit33 wrote:

I was hoping this thread was going to be troll free.

What about the trolls who try and work others into a frenzy and incite them to slander ebay?  Talk about biting the hand that feeds you.

Message 24 of 48
Latest reply

@casbit33 wrote:

Ebay makes billions in revenue every year, even though they could be making heaps more by making one simple change. all free listings.

I always refer to Rov as a remotely operated vehicle and Roc is a mythical legendary large bird of prey.

They are both much more interesting that ebay stats.

Please check your facts before posting rubbish like this as it simply is not true. In the 2017 full year ebay LOST $ 1.013 billion ! A couple  more years like that and its Bye Bye ebay. Luckily they turned things around in the 2018 financial year posting a 2.5 Billion dollar profit, giving an average profit for the last two years of around $750 million. Well under the billions of dollars you quoted..

There have been a number of quarters in recent years where ebay has been in negative profit figures and other full year $ billion + losses.

If you actually bother to check, you will see the notion that ebay is giant company making huge profits at the expense of poor little down trodden, free fee paying sellers is total nonsense.

Message 25 of 48
Latest reply

While on the topic of ebay making squillions of dollars by screwing its poor little sellers for fees, it is worth noting that each of Australia's four major banks make much higher profits than the global giant ebay each year.

Sure the banks are on the nose for their fee grabs, but it puts some perspective on the subject when tiny ( by world standards ) little businesses, based in Australia, each only serving a portion Australia's little population make much larger profits than a global technology giant such as ebay.

Message 26 of 48
Latest reply

Don't keep saying how many billions they make in revenue every year if you can't even be bothered to check any of your facts.  The fact is you think that any huge company owes you something.  If you don't sell enough to justify paying for a store I really doubt that you're qualified to know how ebay could increase their revenue.

They may make billions but they give away millions in vouchers and in listings with reduced fees, and for 18 months they gave unlimited listings once a month with no fees at all.  Ebay owes you absolutely nothing.  YOU owe ebay thanks for providing somewhere to sell your goods and for all the fees you've saved, but never once have I seen you express any appreciation for anything they've done for you.

You think some sellers should get unlimited listings and pay minimal fees but other sellers should pay, thus subsidising you.  You don't know any other seller's situation yet you think if someone pays for a store they must be better off than you, and that you're more deserving than everyone else.  I can assure you that some sellers would sell nothing if they didn't have a store, but that doesn't mean they're on the same income as you, or higher. 

Just be thankful for what you get.  It's much healthier than only thinking of what you don't have.  Any self-help book will tell you that.  

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

obviously you know nothing about me, i have thanked ebay many times but i'm sure not going to report to you each time i do that.

so maybe you should get your facts right. I have never said that ebay owes me -  NEVER. You say i owe ebay - well i pay my dues in fees just like everyone else.

Message 27 of 48
Latest reply

@401ev wrote:

<Removed> if i listed every listing for there full insertion fees i would go bacwards real fast like lose thousand witin the first month they raised the fvfs to 10 percent to get rid of insertion fees they say there saving us thousands with these promos but no one last very long on ebay using insertion fees i have been selling on ebay for 14 years and we cant exsist with out each other get rid of insertion fees all together and bump up fvfs a bit more make it simple and fair

@401ev,

eBay.cn (eBay China) is the only eBay arm that has done away with insertion fees - and it wasn't without a very determined battle by eBay. In the end, eBay had no choice because of the following factors:

Spoiler
  • China is a huge, huge, huge, HUGE market, and if eBay couldn't have an eBay China, that would affect it globally in myriad ways. In other words, in order to make eBay China have even a chance of existing, eBay had to make enormous concessions;

• eBay China was soundly defeated by Taobao Marketplace (Alibaba) and for years had only a nominal presence in China as a result. Taobao offered free listings for three years (and it then renewed the free listing period), which was one of the factors that turned Chinese users away from eBay in droves. It wasn't the only factor; eBay had acquired Eachnet (China's largest online auction site) as part of its strategy, but Eachnet users were upset by finding that they had to change their username if the username was already in use on eBay (globally) by another user, plus eBay's bland corporate "look" didn't appeal to the average Chinese seller/buyer... In summation, eBay's executive team simply did not understand the Chinese way, Chinese culture, Chinese method of growth, Chinese preference in doing business, etc., and I understand that eBay's nominal failure in China is an infamous case study in business colleges around the world;

• eBay's rocky history in China makes eBay China highly reluctant to rock the boat, having clawed back some market presence;

• advertising revenue and pay-per-click are two ways in which eBay China gains financial incomings (but if eBay China is running at a loss, it's still - in eBay's opinion - worth trying to strengthen its presence in China for the future of possibilities).

None of that is relevant to the Australian marketplace, the Australian culture, the Australian population, the ability by Australians to exert pressure on eBay.

It isn't even relevant to that vastly bigger marketplace, eBay US.

In my opinion, we will not see $0 fees as standard on eBay.com.au - i.e., neither with $0 insertion/listing fees nor with $0 or low-dollar FVFs.

Why Does eBay Offer Promotions or Deals at All?

Spoiler

There may well be the occasional deal or promotion offering free or reduced fees of some sort; I'd be surprised if there weren't. But (again, my opinion) they will be aimed at attracting the occasional seller rather than the regular business seller... or for people wanting to clear out  a lot of stuff from their garage or house or what-have-you. We're already seeing some offers or options available only to eBay sellers who are using the Quick Listing Tool as opposed to the Advanced Listing form. For example, if you list using the Quick Listing Tool, "Automatic relists do not count towards your free listings balance", but if you list using the Advanced Listing form, "Automatic relists count towards your free listings balance". This is clearly separating the casual / occasional seller from the regular / business seller.

Whether you, I, or the nearest camel thinks eBay is wonderful, kind in offering deals, or gracious in providing the opportunity to sell isn't really to the point. eBay is a global business, with its executives and directors being paid huge salaries commensurate with large companies all over the world. (I don't believe that anything justifies those salaries, but that is the way of the world and I'm not going to get on my soapbox about it.) I do believe that businesses have the right to make a profit, although I deplore some aspects of huge businesses and giant corporations. I believe that if eBay offers promotions and deals, it's because those promotions and deals fit into its business strategy. You as a seller both can and should take advantage of those promotions, by all means! But - and I've said this a few times now - don't rely on them.

THE EAGLE AND THE HELICOPTER - a simple business tale

Spoiler

Grab whatever breaks you can - but don't rely on them.

If you had to reach a remote island by helicopter because the sea approach is too dangerous, and the helicopter trip cost you $100 each time, but you made $500 by vising the island, you'd probably pay for the helicopter trip with nothing more than a grumble as you'd still be in front by $300 ($500- (2 * $100) to account for the trip both ways)...

But let's say that a giant eagle one day swooped you up in its talons, and you hung on for dear life and screamed in panic, only for the eagle to deposit you gently upon the island... Well, that's $100 you saved. But you couldn't expect the eagle to give you a lift each time.

If you found that you were making less money over time - let's say $400 - then you'd still as a rule be clearing $200, with perhaps the occasional eagle swoop letting you save an extra $100 here and there.
What happens when your gross takings come down still further? $300? You'd still be making a profit of $100 which is better than a custard pie in the face.

But if your gross takings slip down to $200, you'd obviously be making NOTHING as a rule - and it's by the rule rather than the exception that one must calculate business sustainability. You could hang around begging the eagle to come down and fly you over, trying to tempt it with freshly killed squirrels and rabbits, but in reality, once the gross income equals the standard outgoings, it's time to make some sort of change so that you don't expend your life in a fruitless endeavour.

eBay works for some sellers, and doesn't work for others. If your business model means that paying eBay's listing fees means you'll lose thousands, are you sure that you have the most advantageous business policies and strategies in place for your business? Perhaps there are things you can change, either by tweaking or by making a 180ยฐ turn. When you drew up your initial business plan, did you take into account the various fees and charges? Using a spreadsheet with all of the relevant information, you'd have worked out exactly what amount you need in order to break even, and exactly what amount you need in order to make a decent profit.

If you cannot turn that profit, you know that something is wrong in the business model, and that would be upsetting and frustrating... but perhaps you can use the opportunity to rethink your model and trial some changes.

I hope that you can, because I don't see any way in heaven or hell or on the back of a giant turtle in space that you can persuade or compel eBay to "get rid of insertion fees altogether".

Message 28 of 48
Latest reply

All you have to do to get free listings now is list using the quick listing tool instead of the advanced one. There's no need for the promotion listings when you do that as all your relists are free and don't come off your 40 monthly ones. I've been doing it for a little while now. It means I can add 40 new listings per month regardless of how many have sold the previous month as they roll over for free now.

Message 29 of 48
Latest reply

@joshbower wrote:

All you have to do to get free listings now is list using the quick listing tool instead of the advanced one. There's no need for the promotion listings when you do that as all your relists are free and don't come off your 40 monthly ones. I've been doing it for a little while now. It means I can add 40 new listings per month regardless of how many have sold the previous month as they roll over for free now.

As countess said in her information in her 2nd spoiler.

"For example, if you list using the Quick Listing Tool, "Automatic relists do not count towards your free listings balance", but if you list using the Advanced Listing form, "Automatic relists count towards your free listings balance". This is clearly separating the casual / occasional seller from the regular / business seller."

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 30 of 48
Latest reply