Time to shut up shop

As a follow up to my INR case post of a few days ago I've decided to shut my shop for a while.

I'm getting requests every day now for items not received (dating back to mid-August onwards). Many were smaller things sent as large letters (so no recourse there). Other things I did not add tracking within the time frame allotted, to be protected by seller protection (my fault I know).

Australia Post have failed, eBay don't care. Buyers are impatient and have no empathy.

I can't even bulk edit my listings to express post upgrades or registered letters as so many of my older listings don't have the (ridiculous) required item specifics. 

It's just easier to have a holiday & let the complaints roll in and refund as they do (and not create any more headaches that I already have).

Message 1 of 9
Latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Re: Time to shut up shop

I am sorry to learn of your pain, particularly from "one of eBay's most reputable sellers / consistently delivers outstanding customer service". Some sellers like myself declined to sign up to Managed Payments & don't regret it! I have performed ongoing online research since Managed Payments was implemented in USA in September 2018 initially to large sellers, then progressively to others in USA, Germany, UK & Australia, with the goal to be completely rolled out this year, given their commercial agreement with PayPal ceased in July. The message in 2018 remains the same .... "eBayโ€™s managed payments should have huge benefits for most sellers, even with its current downsides. But if itโ€™s a bad match for your business, it could cause more trouble than itโ€™s worth. Weigh the pros and cons carefully before you opt in". You may wish to review the USA CEO's recent comments at online virtual event AGM "Jamie Iannone said eBay will also be making changes with regard to Managed Payments based on seller feedback to give sellers more flexibility and control".....we all hope any future changes are positive for sellers. Sadly the consumer survey for ACCC "Digital Platform Services Inquiry โ€“ March 2022 Report on general online retail marketplace (Amazon, Catch.com.au, eBay and Kogan)" has now closed for feedback. You are correct currently 'eBay don't care' however many aussies like you & me do hope they will wake up before it's too late ! Review https://www.productreview.com.au/listings/ebay & cringe !

Message 2 of 9
Latest reply

@umarkmywords wrote:

I am sorry to learn of your pain, particularly from "one of eBay's most reputable sellers / consistently delivers outstanding customer service". Some sellers like myself declined to sign up to Managed Payments & don't regret it! I have performed ongoing online research since Managed Payments was implemented in USA in September 2018 initially to large sellers, then progressively to others in USA, Germany, UK & Australia, with the goal to be completely rolled out this year, given their commercial agreement with PayPal ceased in July. The message in 2018 remains the same .... "eBayโ€™s managed payments should have huge benefits for most sellers, even with its current downsides. But if itโ€™s a bad match for your business, it could cause more trouble than itโ€™s worth. Weigh the pros and cons carefully before you opt in". You may wish to review the USA CEO's recent comments at online virtual event AGM "Jamie Iannone said eBay will also be making changes with regard to Managed Payments based on seller feedback to give sellers more flexibility and control".....we all hope any future changes are positive for sellers. Sadly the consumer survey for ACCC "Digital Platform Services Inquiry โ€“ March 2022 Report on general online retail marketplace (Amazon, Catch.com.au, eBay and Kogan)" has now closed for feedback. You are correct currently 'eBay don't care' however many aussies like you & me do hope they will wake up before it's too late ! Review https://www.productreview.com.au/listings/ebay & cringe !

wow,  not sure how a problem with an INR case, can be blamed on Managed payments.

As the OP has indicated it was an issue with Australia Post, and their  (the OP's) silly approach to not uploading tracking details.   Blame oz Post and the OP.  Not eBay.  Oh plus not sure if you have noticed there is a world wide pandemic impacting on postal service.  So you can remove oz post from the blame game, and lay it all on the OP for failing to upload simple tracking information.

Message 3 of 9
Latest reply

If you don't send with tracking and the customer complains, then I would guess that many customers are using the lack of tracking to their advantage. In other words, they have the item, but are saying otherwise, which is NOT an Aus Post issue.

You only have 9 items currently listed with the same $6.00 postage, so I'm not sure why you can't just change your postage policy? You only have to open one listing to change the policy and it will update all the relevant listings. if you don't use postage policies, you should look into it.

I have found Aus Post to be incredibly reliable in over 5000 transactions and have refunded probably less than a handful of times since 2014. Sorry to hear you're having so many, but definitely make a point of uploading the tracking as soon as you have it to minimise this. I make it a daily ritual - as soon as I get back from the PO, I upload all tracking and don't allow anything to distract me.

Message 4 of 9
Latest reply

I have been juggling, AKA wasting hours and hours of time, on various INR cases for a few weeks now. Thousands of dollars have been held up, refunded, bounced backward / forwards to customers, and also to linked accounts during this time.
ALL of my items had legit tracking numbers uploaded either same day or next from when buyer paid for item.
ALL tracking numbers are from known couriers or Australia Post and have online tracking.

Whether tracking number or not there is a problem.

In regard to not having anything to do with managed payments ....??
kind of like climate change yeah , climate changes by its very definition, as do eBay "manage" the payment structures that are currently failing, whether money in, our, held or refunded.
My accounting is currently a shambles, with $ amounts being held, redrawn from accounts, partial amounts drawn to cover part fees, and then eventually $ figures deposited into linked account that can take some time to decipher just what amount is in relation to. In fact I give up on trying to account the way I used to.

I have been told by eBay, on a $400-500 refund made to customer the very day item was delivered to them, (with the tracking showing onboard for delivery, and also delivered that same calendar day) , that the refund process finalises automatically and they can't change it once started. IF they are alerted to the existence of a tracking number directly , ( and NOT just via the return message thread, or the initial upload and linking of tracking number to sale ) , then they will delay the process, but if you don't get in contact with them then current process is to refund quite quickly. Quicker than I ever experienced before managed payments came into effect.

Quite often before managed payments Paypal would be involved in INR issues, and they would have a lengthier review process before moneys refunded.

Message 5 of 9
Latest reply

Hello I had 1000 items in my eBay store (the auctions I've had to let run)

Message 6 of 9
Latest reply

What you have described sounds like my life over the past weeks. Exactly why I've had enough. Even with tracking, I've been opening Australia Post cases etc (mainly to appease angry, impatient buyers). For me it was easier just to close my store and work on other pursuits for the time being.

Message 7 of 9
Latest reply

I'm just going out on a limb here and say this is likely your fault.

Large Letter = untracked you cant prove it.

Not uploading tracking in time you will be protected if ebay is asked to step in, providing you have a tracking update? Do you read seller updates cause I'm certain this is still valid today. https://sellercentre.ebay.com.au/2020-spring-seller-update/importance-of-tracking

Message 8 of 9
Latest reply

@jellybirddesigns wrote:

If you don't send with tracking and the customer complains, then I would guess that many customers are using the lack of tracking to their advantage. In other words, they have the item, but are saying otherwise, which is NOT an Aus Post issue.

You only have 9 items currently listed with the same $6.00 postage, so I'm not sure why you can't just change your postage policy? You only have to open one listing to change the policy and it will update all the relevant listings. if you don't use postage policies, you should look into it.

I have found Aus Post to be incredibly reliable in over 5000 transactions and have refunded probably less than a handful of times since 2014. Sorry to hear you're having so many, but definitely make a point of uploading the tracking as soon as you have it to minimise this. I make it a daily ritual - as soon as I get back from the PO, I upload all tracking and don't allow anything to distract me.

I have introduced a new system since COVID came in which is working a treat.  I dont actually load up the tracking details as it takes too long. Instead I fold and file each post office receipt ( sometimes up to two metres long ) and place it in order, with the date facing out into one of those single sized photograph albums. If I get an enquiry I can find the receipt in seconds and upload tracking in moments. I have been using it for months now and the system is working perfectly. Receipts are also pre stored ready to be filed for tax. The photo album was purchased from an OP shop for a couple of dollars and I have another one ready to go when this one is full.

Picture 44672.jpg 

Message 9 of 9
Latest reply