Two accounts

I have been a seller on eBay since 2011. I recently opened this account to supplement my existing one. It was not until I had opened the new account that I read that it is against eBay policy to have a second account so that one can avoid the 40 free listings restriction. What is the point in having a second account? Could I list records in one account and CDs in the other (or music in one and DVDs and books in the other)? I want to do the right thing.

Message 1 of 26
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Two accounts

@sardonicus001 wrote:

I have been a seller on eBay since 2011. I recently opened this account to supplement my existing one. It was not until I had opened the new account that I read that it is against eBay policy to have a second account so that one can avoid the 40 free listings restriction. What is the point in having a second account? Could I list records in one account and CDs in the other (or music in one and DVDs and books in the other)? I want to do the right thing.

Registering new accounts or using other existing accounts to avoid buying and selling restrictions or limits or other policy consequences.

This bit in the rules is referring to selling limits or restrictions, not listing limits (in relation to the 40).  Once upon a time it did use to say you couldn't open a second account to avoid paying listing fees but that was a long time ago (just after they started the 30 or 40 freebies every month).

If you're only allowed to sell 10 items a month and you open up another account so you can sell another 10, that's breaking the rules because you're doing it to avoid selling limits.  If you've been a bad seller and they've restricted your selling until you improve, you're also not allowed to open a new account to get around it.

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 26
Latest reply
25 REPLIES 25

Two accounts

Hi, Where did you read this information ? I have not heard this before.

You are not allowed to open a second account to avoid or side step ebay sanctions or restrictions that have been placed on your selling account due to excessive defects or breaches of ebay policy. This is not the same as opening another account to sell a different range of items or to get another  40 freebies.

Message 2 of 26
Latest reply

Two accounts

imastawka
Honored Contributor

Do you have a link for that info?   I think you may have mis-read it.

You will be restricted to 10 listings per month, on your new account, unless you link it

to your more successful account.

Message 3 of 26
Latest reply

Two accounts

imastawka
Honored Contributor
Message 4 of 26
Latest reply

Two accounts

I have more than one account because I sell for several people who can't do it for themselves.

Multiple accounts are allowed, but you must have a separate email account for each ebay account. I think that is still right. If anyone knows different, please let me know.

Message 5 of 26
Latest reply

Two accounts

Yes, you can have multiple selling accounts. I have 3 auction accounts. As mentioned, you will be restricted to 10 listings/sales a month, but if you link it to your establised account that limit will be lifted to 30. You can then periodically ring eBay to get a limit increase, but I haven't bothered. I just let them increase on their own (my second account has a limit of 100, which I think turned up when I had 50 or 60 feedback).

Just be aware too that being a new account it will be subject to the PayPal 21 day funds hold. You can try ringing them and letting them know that it's linked to an established account, and they might lift the hold, otherwise you can lodge a dispute with the FOS and they'll force them to lift the hold.

I got the hold lifted on my second account, but didn't worry with my newer 3rd account. As it was, that account didn't seem to have the funds held. Possibly because I went the dispute route with my second account and the lift may have applied to any new accounts too.

Message 6 of 26
Latest reply

Two accounts

@sardonicus001 wrote:

Registering new accounts or using other existing accounts to avoid buying and selling restrictions or limits or other policy consequences.

This bit in the rules is referring to selling limits or restrictions, not listing limits (in relation to the 40).  Once upon a time it did use to say you couldn't open a second account to avoid paying listing fees but that was a long time ago (just after they started the 30 or 40 freebies every month).

If you're only allowed to sell 10 items a month and you open up another account so you can sell another 10, that's breaking the rules because you're doing it to avoid selling limits.  If you've been a bad seller and they've restricted your selling until you improve, you're also not allowed to open a new account to get around it.

Message 7 of 26
Latest reply

Two accounts

That makes sense. I'll see if i can link the new account to the old one and have my limits increased.

Message 8 of 26
Latest reply

Two accounts

Gee, wish I'd thought of that..........................

Message 9 of 26
Latest reply

Two accounts

Sarcasm inserted just for you Stawks!

Message 10 of 26
Latest reply