UK buyer leaving expensive item in UK customs. Is this the start of a scam?

Hi all.

Have been a member for over 20 years but this is only the second thing I have sold.

Is a high value antique item sold to the UK for $1999.

Seller was aware prior to buying that they would be liable for VAT and import duties and had no qualms with that. I send Auspost international express and it has been sitting in UK customs for two weeks now.

(HS cose "9706 9000 00", "antique")

Initially buyer did not respond to my queries, but after repeated emails says they are in communication and  'proving they are not a dealer' to uk customs.  Seems a bit odd. Almost like they are deliberately trying to delay delivery.

I am starting to wonder if this is a scam and at some point they will simply claim 'not delivered', then get a refund, then pay the customs duties and get the item delivered also.

Is there a way for me to terminate the Auspost international express parcel delivery and get it returned to me if she lodges a non-delivery refund claim?

Message 1 of 14
Latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Re: UK buyer leaving expensive item in UK customs. Is this the start of a scam?

She was fully aware up front she was going to be paying vat and duty and the HS code I was using, so I just think it is odd that it is just sitting in customs for two weeks now when the uk customs website says 24 hours and she was fully aware up front it was coming express.

The Buyer does not have a very busy ebay acc wrt purchases so very unlikely she is a dealer.  Any customs official can see that if she simply sent them a link to the sale and her history.

Ought to be a 5-minute decision if a customs officer looks at her ebay history which is why I am wondering why it is unresolved.  Buyer has not responded to a message on ebay trying to clarify what the hold up is.

Does anyone know how one gets to prove one is not a dealer in the UK? 

Geez it's only a $2000 family heirloom, not a case of cigarettes, booze or pharmaceuticals.

Message 11 of 14
Latest reply

The Buyer does not have a very busy ebay acc wrt purchases so very unlikely she is a dealer.  Any customs official can see that if she simply sent them a link to the sale and her history.

Ought to be a 5-minute decision if a customs officer looks at her ebay history which is why I am wondering why it is unresolved.  Buyer has not responded to a message on ebay trying to clarify what the hold up is.

=====================================================

Very much an over simplification,  How many legitimate ebay accounts can one have let alone the others.  How many other trading sites can one use, then add in B&M and personal trading.

I would expect it to be more a complete vetting of an individuals finances and a requirement to explain any dubious funds.

Who knows, maybe their import records have been flagged

Message 12 of 14
Latest reply

@asteroider wrote:

Then discovered all the hassle involved in Australia exporting anything over $2000 so I told her I would sell it to her for 1999 to avoid having to pay to get yet another government ID to get an export permit.

Well that makes a lot of sense.............do yourself out of $700 because you couldn't be bothered to get an export permit...........

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 13 of 14
Latest reply

Clearly you are not here to help. please go and 'help' someone else.

Thanks to all others though.

Message 14 of 14
Latest reply