Unable to sell as I dont have a drivers License or Passport

Ive been a  ebay member buying and selling for several years .However since Ebay bought in  a managed payment policy I haven t sold anything .I spent the morning   doing 12 listings but when i went to list I was told I needed to update my details .I was sent to a form which requires me to provide details of either a drivers license or a passport .I have neither .I then  spent several frustrating minutes talking to ebay live chat .The person I spoke to had no idea what happens when a person has neither of these forms of ID  and said no one in customer service could provide me with the details of why they asked for them .and referred me to the user agreement and payment terms of use but these seem so complicated that I cant seem to find an answer .Is the rule the result of an Australian Government Department requirement and if so which Department ? Lots of people do not have drivers licenses or passports so does this mean they cant ever sell on Ebay again ?

Photobucket

'I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered . My life is my own."
Message 1 of 45
Latest reply
44 REPLIES 44

Re: Unable to sell as I dont have a drivers License or Passport

@jeana-4138 wrote:

I’m also facing this problem,I only have my age pension card and Marriage certificate,but neither are acceptable. I’m elderly and only a casual seller. Completely unfair rules now. 

If you live in NSW or Vic, you can go to Service NSW/Vic and get a proper ID card that is enough proof. I'm sure other states will have a similar thing.

Message 31 of 45
Latest reply

I've been trying for about 6 months to get this sorted now and have thrown every form of ID I've ever had at them. Rejected every single time. I'm not paying over $300 for a passport when I paid for a government photo ID/proof of age card which gets rejected.

I now upload the same documents every day (sometimes multiple times per day if I'm near my PC) and watch them get rejected time after time. Online chat is pointless. Person I spoke to on the phone didn't understand me.

I will continue uploading these documents day after day even though I know it's a waste of time. There is a remote chance though that whoever processes these uploads may actually one day take the time to do their job properly.

Message 32 of 45
Latest reply

I'm not sure why you even bother with the chat reps. The requirements for the new system are very clear and the reps cannot override anything. The process is automated for 99% of it.

Don't you have a drivers licence?

Some people have uploaded POA cards, but not sure how much success they've had. Sometimes it appears to have been accepted, but then rejected a few days later.

Adyen is the new financial services provider instead of Paypal and they need to follow government regulations so they only allow for certain ID types to be provided.

If you are able to provide a DL, just double check they everything matches across the board - registered Ebay name, and even bank account must match down to the last letter.

If you cannot provide what is asked for, your selling days are over. This ain't rocket science - most of the other big platforms require this type of verification BEFORE you can even open an account. When I signed up to Amazon as a seller, they wanted even more paperwork, including a bank statement and utility bill in my name.

Message 33 of 45
Latest reply

I need to sell my items on eBay but it won’t let me and eBay won’t help me what do I do

Message 34 of 45
Latest reply

This doesn’t help I am still having trouble 

Message 35 of 45
Latest reply

It won’t let you and nobody here nor at eBay can help you until you sign up for Managed Payments

it came in over three years ago and applies to every seller

Telling another member a factual answer does not help won’t change that

If you choose to use eBay to sell, like with most other sell sites, you need to do it

There is no loophole, special treatment, or exemption 

Message 36 of 45
Latest reply

As suggested, did you bother to get a Govt approved ID card.  It is certainly worth a try.  All govt service centres supply them. 

Absolutely no point even trying without any ID.

Once you do get approved you will also have a hold put on any funds for 30 days so selling is not a quick windfall.

Maybe consider a garage sale or something.

Message 37 of 45
Latest reply

A great post on this topic. My solution was to stop selling on ebay - not that I sell that often. I still buy through ebay though. My only reason for joining in on this post is the lack of concern that a foreign based company wants your very important ID details. How can anyone who has read about the current hacking issues of major corporations for the sole purpose of getting drivers licence or passport ID details, be happy about sending these details to somewhere in the world of ebay's choosing? I asked ebay a couple of years ago where would my ID data be stored. They suggested USA but weren't completely sure. You have to be aware that data stored overseas does not have to comply with Australian privacy rules. So why are people so desperate to work out how to keep selling on ebay if you don't have a licence or passport? The real question is, why do those people who have one so readily give the details to a company based in a foreign land that's outside the reach of Australian authorities? I can imagine that identity rules are in place for large payments. Why hasn't ebay simply put a cap on how much you can sell if you refuse to provide sensitive ID? Even the money laundering department of Australia doesn't bother with amounts under $10,000

Message 38 of 45
Latest reply

@robian55 wrote:

Why hasn't ebay simply put a cap on how much you can sell if you refuse to provide sensitive ID?

Quite simply because it's an Australian Government regulation that they HAVE to verify peoples ID and their banking ID to sell on their platform.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 39 of 45
Latest reply

Why don't you read all the information on why Managed Payments was introduced 

And question why eBay was one of the last sites to actually 'introduce' it

Since you no longer sell, you don't need to worry about it

Posting the same thing on every semi-related topic you can find is not going to change anything

Imagine all you like about 'large payments'

It does not make it fact

Message 40 of 45
Latest reply