Why are Australian listing fees so much higher than the US site

I'm almost at my 40 free listings on ebay AU and wasn't worried, thinking the 35c listing fee or similar would apply, like on the US site, but to my horror, paid listings on AU are $1.65 each! Is this right?  I mean why is it so much more expensive and why do we only get 40 free listings?

With currency conversion it should be maybe 55c but the cost here is more than triple the US..... why? This just doesn't seem fair, or am I not reading it right?

I have about 100 items I want to list, but not at this price, most of them are worth under $20, so with exorbatant listing fees and all the other fees it makes it not worth it.

Is it more viable to open a store in Australia than the US because of our very high listing fees and small amount of free listings? I'm confused about what to do.

Message 1 of 12
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Why are Australian listing fees so much higher than the US site

why? Probably because we're a lot smaller market.

Yes up to 600 listings - watch the rollovers on BINS!!

https://community.ebay.com.au/t5/Selling/Need-help-understanding-free-listings-with-an-eBay-store/m-...

No, you don't need to be a business to open a store

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 12
Latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Thanks for the link, but my question was really 'why'.

Couple more questions based on the link you sent:

So with a basic store you get up to 600 free listings, is this right?

Also, do you need to have a GST exemption number to open a store? I'm not an official business, and dont want to be, just want to sell a lot of my stuff.

Message 3 of 12
Latest reply

why? Probably because we're a lot smaller market.

Yes up to 600 listings - watch the rollovers on BINS!!

https://community.ebay.com.au/t5/Selling/Need-help-understanding-free-listings-with-an-eBay-store/m-...

No, you don't need to be a business to open a store
Message 4 of 12
Latest reply

seeing as you are selling 'collectables' you could also do auctions (under collectables) as part of your store package

1) collectables > animals

2) collectables > toys

Message 5 of 12
Latest reply

Thanks, you have been very helpful, this is just want I needed to know, the information in the help pages is not very clear.
Message 6 of 12
Latest reply

Selling fees are lower for stores so if you open a store for one or two months and sell all your items it may work out cheaper.

Message 7 of 12
Latest reply

They have links to a fee schedule that spells out the categories more clearly, but if you have a store and do auctions that don't come under collectables you'll pay a fee.
Message 8 of 12
Latest reply

Australia Tax. It wouldn't matter if the AUD was ten times the USD we'd still be charged through the nose for everything.
Message 9 of 12
Latest reply

I would be very suprised if ebay pays any tax in Australia. Its main head office is overseas in a tax haven ( switzerland from memory ) so as to avoid paying tax anywhere. 

On the subject of tax though, this link might be interesting to people considering starting a store....

https://www.ato.gov.au/Business/Starting-your-own-business/In-detail/Online-selling---hobby-or-busin... 

You dont have to pay tax on personal items you are selling, but if you buy stuff in to sell at a profit, the income generated is taxable.

Message 10 of 12
Latest reply