Why does Ebay allow this? Automatically Return Process

bee*ut
Community Member

Two weeks ago I see the "You accepted a return" huh? what? no I didn't. 

Anyway the buyer acussed me of selling him a defective video card and put in a return claim which was automatically accepted.

Claim.png

RtnDownloadFile1.png

After closely examined the photo I noticed the 2 bottom corner of the labels were slightly peeled off, so I compared the photo I took before posting the card out and they were slightly in wrong places. So I suspected this person took the stickers from my card then sticked onto a faulty one 

Below are the messages

1.png

2.png

3.png

IMG_20181104_100146.jpg

RtnDownloadFile.png

There is a dead giveway between to 2 photos, can you spot it? What is this buyer thinking? I believe he done this kind of scam many times before, pulling out the Ebay policy and Australian Consumer Laws stunt to scare people

I contacted CS explained my situation and pointed the obvious but they advised me to go through the process and let the buyer return the item then I can appeal.

WHY??? I dont undertand why Ebay refused to stop the return process when presented with the clear evident showing the item is not the one I sold. the buyer clearly is a fraud

I am not a trader every now and then I sell something on Ebay to make end meet, this process caused unnecssary stress, especially I dont have no time to waste. Now I have to waste more times spending on recording the return item and appeal my case

I just want to put this out there in case Ebay favour the buyer

Message 1 of 48
Latest reply
47 REPLIES 47

Re: Why does Ebay allow this? Automatically Return Process

And if the letter is registered and SOD it'll take even longer then usual, as it has to be scanned at every point.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 31 of 48
Latest reply

@davewil1964 wrote:

The PO won't be open until Thursday. I would push the countess' suggested dates out a few days, as apart from that, next Tuesday is a public holiday and I'm guessing Monday will be the AP one.

The designated AP Picnic Day is Monday 31st December and I predict a debacle.  Employees have been given 3 choices.....take the day off with pay,   work and be paid public holiday loading rates or work at ordinary rates and have a day off later on.

Nobody has a clue what is going on and when/if their local post office and postmen will be working.

StarTrack are working every day except Christmas Day, Boxing Day and New Years Day.

Posted on Thursday won't be received until probably at least Wednesday next week. Plus response time.

Message 32 of 48
Latest reply

bee*ut
Community Member

I am guessing the response time will need to be push back to 7/1/19 over 1 week away. I also need to reponse to my appeal within 5 days from today because due to some public holiday JP is harder to find.

I thinks, the scammer caculated his timing quite well...

So sending it via Ebay message is no good? 

Message 33 of 48
Latest reply

bee*ut
Community Member

What about sending it via express post letter?

Message 34 of 48
Latest reply

Express post will not be any quicker.....it still won't be delivered on public holidays.

Also, you need registered post for it to be official.   The person receiving it can say it did not arrive unless you have a signature.

All legal letters of demand etc have to be registered.

Message 35 of 48
Latest reply

I very strongly suggest not sending this via eBay message, except as a copy/confirmation once you know that the letter itself has been received (or refused). It looks far more businesslike and professional to do it in this manner. It also looks as though you're not serious; many, many, many are the futile and toothless threats of legal action 🙵𝒸. that are sent by upset eBay sellers (and buyers!) via eBay messages.

You want to ensure that you give a clear, unambiguous, uncompromising, professional impression at this point.

It adds more gravitas if one can use the third person, but only if there is someone who can act on your behalf. (In other words, don't do it to give a false impression. That would rebound on you.)

I think that signature on delivery is only available with registered post (for domestic letters); someone else might have some different information, though. You definitely want that signature, if possible.

Yes, stretch out the timeframes as appropriate.

Also, where the letter says "make payment of the original cost plus all associated costs (comprising the item price, the postage price, and the return postage price of the defective substitute from you to us)", include the total amount. (For example, "[...] from you to us), which is a total of $xx.xx".

EDIT: As lyndal says, "official".

Message 36 of 48
Latest reply

@bee*ut wrote:

I am guessing the response time will need to be push back to 7/1/19 over 1 week away. I also need to reponse to my appeal within 5 days from today because due to some public holiday JP is harder to find.

I had to send some important documents by registered and SOD mail a couple of years ago from SW WA to Perth (a distance of around 400 Kms - that took 6 or 7 business days to get there, and that was not at a busy time of year for AP.

Any pharmacist, doctor or bank manager is a JP by the way.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 37 of 48
Latest reply

Unfortunately, despite eBay's own policy stating "the item needs to be returned in the same condition it was sent" they do not take this into consideration.

i once had a buyer file a SNAD stating the jeans I sold were a 32/32 not 34/34 and as such were too short.  Baffled by this buyer's claims I had no choice but to accept the return.

Upon receiving said returned item, the jeans were a totally different size, style and part brand.  I sold him 34/34 Boss Orange jeans, he returns 32/32 Boss Red label jeans, which were well worn and faded compared to my as new with no signs of wear jeans.

so I complained to eBay advising I received the WRONG" item back.  They're ludicrous response was "they must side with the buyer as tracking confirmed l "an" item has been returned and because they physically don't see the returned item, they must side with the buyer.  As it turned out, I ended up minus a pair of practically new jeans, minus the amount paid and out of pocket return postage just to top it off!

Message 38 of 48
Latest reply

Just another bit of detective work as proof the returned card is not the same as the original.....

have a look at the position of the first screw on the top left side.....now compare it to the burnt card.  The screws are in totally different positions.

i hope you win this.  

After i appealed, and strenuously pointed out ebay didn't follow their own policies in regards to the buyer sending back an item in the same condition, in my case a totally different item, they did end up giving me a refund as a "goodwill gesture".  It's not a goodwill gesture when they fail to standby their own policies.

Message 39 of 48
Latest reply

bee*ut
Community Member

I hope everyone have a great Xmas break and are safe and sound? 

Once again thank you everyone for spot the differences, I uploaded the below photo and the statutory declareation last night. 

ReturnComparision2.jpg

and got this email t his morning

Dear bee*ut (**********),

Thank you for contacting us about case ********************* for the following item:

******************** - ASUS_DUAL_GTX1070_O8G_OC 8G_VIDEO_CARD

We've reviewed your concerns and have reversed the outcome of the case. You don't need to take any additional action to reimburse eBay for the refund paid to the buyer, and eBay will make no further attempts to seek reimbursement from you. 

Because we decided in your favor, this case, any feedback left, and all detailed seller ratings left, will not affect your seller performance. In addition, any feedback left for this transaction will be removed.

If you have other questions, please contact us. You can reach us by going to the eBay website and clicking "Help & Contact" in the upper right corner and then selecting "Contact eBay."

Thanks,

eBay

Please don't reply to this message. It was sent from an address that doesn't accept incoming email.

Message 40 of 48
Latest reply