buyer received the item damaged.

A buyer received an aluminium cup with a dent, and would like to return it. The dent was most likely caused during transit. The cup was posted in a padded pailer that has a bubble wrap in it. So I was wondering if Auspost would see the packaging as inadequate? The cup itself is pretty rigit, and is pretty hard to dent.

Also if the buyer goes to their post office to claim for a compensation, would he need a copy of the postage receipt?

Message 1 of 10
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

If you didn't pack the cup to withstand 22 kg dropped on it from waist height AP won't consider it adequately packaged.

What padding did you put inside the cup?

If nothing, you don't have a leg to stand on. Refund them.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 10
Latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

If you didn't pack the cup to withstand 22 kg dropped on it from waist height AP won't consider it adequately packaged.

What padding did you put inside the cup?

If nothing, you don't have a leg to stand on. Refund them.

Message 2 of 10
Latest reply

The bubble wrap padding is part of the parcel, not placed inside the cup. 

Where did you hear that a parcel would be considered packaged adequately if withstands a 22kg dropped from waist height? That would break pretty much anything.

Message 3 of 10
Latest reply

It is not up to the buyer to claim compensation from AP, and in any event it will be deemed as inadequate packaging.  You can accept the return and pay for the return postage, if you want the damaged cup back, or you can offer a full refund or replacement at your cost.

Message 4 of 10
Latest reply

@lacedmelbourne wrote:

Where did you hear that a parcel would be considered packaged adequately if withstands a 22kg dropped from waist height? That would break pretty much anything.

Check the AP postage packaging requirements.  

Message 5 of 10
Latest reply

Will i be able to claim for compensation once I receive the returned item?

Message 6 of 10
Latest reply

@lacedmelbourne wrote:

Will i be able to claim for compensation once I receive the returned item?

Highly doubtful, as the packaging will be deemed by AP to be insufficient

Message 7 of 10
Latest reply

imastawka
Honored Contributor

You're charging $10 postage and then mailing them in a bubble mailer?

Wrap them properly (in a lot of bubble wrap)  and send them in a satchel.

Same price.

edit:  Call ebay and get that negative removed.

Message 8 of 10
Latest reply

A cup or mug you should have securely packaged in a box, or I would have, with bubble wrap or some kind of fill material inside and around it to cushion it, then either sent in a satchel or if under 500g can be a bit cheaper just sending in the box. You have to factor in the worst treatment of the package in transit. Can it be dropped, stomped on, kicked around like a football (I know someone in customs who sees 'fragile' packages kicked around like that, unbelievable but it happens). Obviously being run over by a truck would be an example of an exception, no package would survive that, but a bubble mailer was simply not sufficient for that particular item

Message 9 of 10
Latest reply

@lacedmelbourne wrote:

The reason for this stipulation is because 22kg is the maximum weight that AP will accept and the conveyor belts that carry parcels are approximately waist height.   If your small parcel is dropped into the cage from the conveyor belt and the next parcel is 22kg then your parcel is likely to be damaged.

Message 10 of 10
Latest reply