buyer refused delivery after Aust Post delivers to wrong post office & then demands FULL refund

Point in fact:

Buyer wins auction ( in the last 1 minute or so)

Takes 4 days to pay

i mail within one hour of payment being made ( my PO is 30 klms from my home in the bush)

I don't hear back from buyer after 10 days and check status of delivery

Item has been sitting @ the post office for 4 days awaiting collection

Contact buyer and ask if enerything is OKAY? 

We realise that the item has been sent to the wrong Post Office

I contact Aust Post ( online ) i might add still no response from them after 5 days!!! Waste of time

I chase around trying to get the phone number of the PO SHOP in Westfield Western Australia ( i am in NSW)

Finally track down the item which has been thankfully returned after pickup by the Box holder with the same No: only wrong PO to the buyer ( which i might add is only 6klms = a 10 minute drive) between the two

Contact buyer: alert the whole saga & advise that the Manager of 'wrong' PO will hand deliver her package to the 'right' PO immediately since it was their stuff up.

Advise the buyer her package is now @ her PO for collection

She demands FULL refund

Goes to her PO & refuses acceptance of package ...

Return to sender

After jumping though every hoop, using every avenue available to rectify the bungle by Oz Post ... i now have to refund full amount, i have STD phone charges, cost me the postage costs, & not to mention the stress .... now poss. NEG .. cause she CAN???

Message 1 of 28
Latest reply
27 REPLIES 27

Re: buyer refused delivery after Aust Post delivers to wrong post office & then demands FULL ref

I have not received notification that she has. I cannot open a claim for sale to be cancelled until i have refunded the buyer. Plus i need the package returned ( in hand) I told her i would refund the bid amount only & she blew a gasket!

Message 11 of 28
Latest reply

Re: buyer refused delivery after Aust Post delivers to wrong post office & then demands FULL ref

This is what I would do, others may disagree but I figure if you just let her get away with it she will keep on doing it. If she knows it is going to cost her she pay think twice next time.
The bottom line is she obviously has had a change of mind and doesn't want it, otherwise she would not have refused it.

Once you receive the parcel I would take all my fees from the refund. Explain to her that because she has refused the parcel (change of mind) you have to cover your ebay fees, packaging and postage fees etc. Only refund through paypal if that's how she has paid and write a note on it explaining why you haven't refunded in full.

I wouldn't worry about cancelling the transaction as you run the risk of getting a defect.

Message 12 of 28
Latest reply

my listing stated no refunds .. one cannot be geld accountable for Aust Post inefficiencies. It appears that eBay & Paypal don't give a rat's for seller's anymore and they don't make a bean off buyers!
Message 13 of 28
Latest reply

Frankly, if don't refund in full, i will cop a negative / if i do refund in full i can still cop a negative? It is obvious that this buyer (whilst seasoned/experienced) knows how to play the system. I am thankful i listed on one of my ID's i don't use often, i would be really peeved to tarnish my reputation on my main ID. What is a defect? if i have all relating conversations which prove i have gone above & beyond in an attempt to rectify the Aust Post error?
Message 14 of 28
Latest reply

This is an unfair seller almost always loses situation.

If you posted over the Australia Post counter and have a receipt from Australia Post with *the buyer's postcode* on it, you then have the option of refusing to deal with the buyer any further as they will lose any Item Not Received dispute they may open.

If you go down this route, do not provide PayPal with the tracking number, just the lodgement receipt.

If you posted any other way, you are in a no win situation. Don't, however, do anything until you receive the package back.

Message 15 of 28
Latest reply

Pre-paid satchels when lodged over the counter only have the Article ID number (tracking number) .. no postcode is evident on the receipt. Thank you for your input
Message 16 of 28
Latest reply

Either way you are going to receive a negative, so when the time comes to refund, only refund less any fees. It would be good to know who this buyer is so we can add her to our BBL.

I would also suggest taking a screen shot of the Aust Post tracking page if you haven't already (Fn and Prt Sc keys in Windoze, then paste into 'paint' and save)

Message 17 of 28
Latest reply

I agree with chooks would love to know who it is. We usually bold the letter and or numbers in a sentence to make the name of the offender so we can place them on the BBL list. 
Yes the buyer can leave negative feedback whether you refund or not.

Message 18 of 28
Latest reply

@ilovemychooks wrote:

Either way you are going to receive a negative, so when the time comes to refund, only refund less any fees. It would be good to know who this buyer is so we can add her to our BBL.

I would also suggest taking a screen shot of the Aust Post tracking page if you haven't already (Fn and Prt Sc keys in Windoze, then paste into 'paint' and save)

...........and perhaps even a photo of it once you get it.

Message 19 of 28
Latest reply

it is my understanding that to 'name & shame' is not well received. She is a big spender with 370 gr8 feedback, only as a buyer tho 😉 however I just KNEW when she bid @ the last minute, then took days to pay without any communication this was going to be a pain. One another note, i noticed she has her PC set a day behind in time, so when she makes a payment it appears in paypal a day earlier than actual real time in Oz .. now all i need is for the item to go missing on it's return .. & she has the benefit of leaving a neg as the outcome regardless of refund or not, she will have to open a case & go though the process .. that's my only method of satisfaction!! ( smack me i know)
Message 20 of 28
Latest reply