didnt list anything this weekend as no $1 weekends

raron2
Community Member

didnt list anything this weekend as no $1 weekends

fees too high for me otherwise as a small time seller

the fee on postage is particurally annoying, I have no choice but to pass this on to buyers

which I am sure turns some byers off, less sales for ebay as well as me

havent been getting the monthly no final value fee or listing fee either

which was fine until $1 weekends stopped

feels like small time sellers arent important to ebay

Message 1 of 86
Latest reply
85 REPLIES 85

Re: didnt list anything this weekend as no $1 weekends

Click on Seller Centre down the bottom of the page and then click on the relevant links in the menu down the left.
Message 41 of 86
Latest reply

@fixnwear wrote:

mjm7774

Just had a look, can't see any high end stuff in your store! Nada, zero, nothing - just less than desirable stuff is all that's listed at the moment.

And I agree with you - I would also refuse to pay listing fees for that - not listing them at all would be much better for all around.

Problem solved.

@raron

yep, NOT DAVEWIL

@fixnwear

just posting to show that dave didnโ€™t post this comment

Message 42 of 86
Latest reply

You don't seriously think ebay is going broke?! Did you read their financial statement for last year alone. https://www.ebayinc.com/stories/news/ebay-q1-2018-results/ . Oh and I will spell it out for you...those amounts are in MILLIONS. Rest assured the only way ebay will disappear is if they don't listen to customers and we look elsewhere for free avenues to sell. I do not have to pay my car mechanic or dentist up front. You pay them when you have received a service and that is how it is done under Australia consumer laws. And don't even get me started on how they have a right to take a portion of a service they don't even provide via postage costs...tell me the service they provided on that one?!
Message 43 of 86
Latest reply

Pick me, pick me....!

Millions are not a good ROC for a company the size of eBay.

eBay provide a postage service (through Australia Post) which is substantially (about 10%) less than the equivalent AP service. THAT is how they were allowed to charge FVFs on postage, many years ago. Whether sellers avail themselves of said deal is an individual seller's choice, but it's there and available to all.

Message 44 of 86
Latest reply

@mjm7774 wrote:
You don't seriously think ebay is going broke?! Did you read their financial statement for last year alone. https://www.ebayinc.com/stories/news/ebay-q1-2018-results/ . Oh and I will spell it out for you...those amounts are in MILLIONS. Rest assured the only way ebay will disappear is if they don't listen to customers and we look elsewhere for free avenues to sell. I do not have to pay my car mechanic or dentist up front. You pay them when you have received a service and that is how it is done under Australia consumer laws. And don't even get me started on how they have a right to take a portion of a service they don't even provide via postage costs...tell me the service they provided on that one?!

Yes ebays 2018 profit was a reasonable one, but it follows pretty stagnant results for many years. And when compared to its competitors in the global technology sector, the result is still mediocre at best. I,m not suggesting ( or hoping ) ebay is going broke. I,m just saying it is not making a huge fortune from its sellers, its financial performance is lagging its global peers and its fees are pretty reasonable when compared to other succesfull selling options.

Casual sellers get a reliable 40 free listings per month. This should be plenty for private sellers cleaning up a bit of stuff from around the home. If small businesses with hundreds of listings cant afford the $24.95 per month basic store fee, either their products are too slow selling ( stuff no-one wants, clogging up servers and searches ) or simply not viable from a profit point of view. Either way its not ebays fault. It is the seller who chooses what products to sell and how to stucture their small business.

Message 45 of 86
Latest reply

@curraone wrote:

Pay for a basic store - only $25 a month. 600 free listings, and the final value fees are lower.    With over 400 listings you should have a store anyway

This may have been addressed in a later post but I couldn't go past this without commenting. I don't think the number of listings should be a criterion as to whether you SHOULD have a store (why 'should'?-- whose decision is that?) but the number of sales, and the profit made from those sales. Fine if you manage to make a profit of $50 per sale, but not if it is $10. If it is just $10, you need to have a lot of sales to make it worthwhile, and the more listings the more sales are likely. 

A small seller may have lots of listings (like I did until the free listings were stopped) but I was hardly making a fortune from those sales. I have crunched the numbers from my 2018 data, and once I subtracted sale fees, postage fees and Paypal fees from my profit, it made having to pay for a store simply not viable. This year sales have been much lower, making a store even less viable. BUT I may have to open a store, as with just 40 items listed (as there will be after this weekend once I end those about to roll over), sales are even less likely.

So please don't tell sellers that we SHOULD have a store if we have a lot of listings (or used to).

Message 46 of 86
Latest reply

@brerrabbit585 wrote:

I'd like to know the definition of a small seller.  I definitely don't consider someone with hundreds of listings to be a small seller, yet many think they're entitled to more listings than those who pay for stores but they don't consider stores to be small sellers.  I really can't see the logic in that!

As I have already replied to another poster - my definition of a small seller is not based on how many listings they have, but how much profit they make.

Message 47 of 86
Latest reply

@raron2 wrote:

Have to decide if its worth selling as my items are not high profit already, and to pay extra in fees may wipe me out

Will be doing some number crunching

No point being a slave to ebay for little or no profit, hard work has to be rewarded

I do it beacuse I love it and its a boost to my part time wages, will be sad if I have to finnish

you can tell me to mind my own business if you like, I will not be offended.

I have a question for you, seeing as you seem to run low-profit listings.

Do you declare your eBaying activity to the ATO each year?  Not sure if you know that the income you derive from eBay needs to be declared for tax purposes.  You can, of course, deduct your expenses like cost of stock purchase etc, but even if you consider yourself a small time seller or a hobby seller you need to pay tax on eBay income.

Some members think that if they are below the mandatory reporting totals that eBay must report to the ATO that they need not declare their eBay selling activity, but that is not right.

eBay members who are on any sort of welfare benefits need to be careful with their ebay selling activity as income from selling on ebay needs to be declared to Centrelink so they can make a determination of whether benefits are affected.

I am not looking to be nit-picking here, just wondering if you have considered your ATO obligations.

Message 48 of 86
Latest reply

@raron2 wrote:

No point being a slave to ebay for little or no profit, hard work has to be rewarded

Ebay is my slave and I hardly do any work to be very rewarded.

Seriously why would anyone say selling on ebay is hard work lol.

If you're not making any profit on ebay then why the bloody hell does one bother?

And don't get me started on a disability but does **bleep**en tourette's count?

Message 49 of 86
Latest reply

@collect247 wrote:

@raron2 wrote:

Ebay is my slave and I hardly do any work to be very rewarded.

Seriously why would anyone say selling on ebay is hard work lol.

If you're not making any profit on ebay then why the bloody hell does one bother?

And don't get me started on a disability but does **bleep**en tourette's count?

I did wonder if you had Tourette's, with all the bleeps in your posts!

Message 50 of 86
Latest reply