eBay accepted third party authentication for handbags?

I keep getting bags rejected by eBay authentication over authenticity concerns, despite knowing the bag's originator personally and/or certifying it with certain authenticators, that eBay doesn't care about.  Then, I'm slapped with several day bans on selling, now extending to 10 days each time.  I can't go on like this.  Is there any third party authentication service for handbags that eBay will take as authoritative enough to dispute their own 'findings'?

Is eBay authentication for handbags even real?

Message 1 of 50
Latest reply
3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

@kittys_boutique wrote:

I keep getting bags rejected by eBay authentication over authenticity concerns,   Is there any third party authentication service for handbags that eBay will take as authoritative enough to dispute their own 'findings'?

Is eBay authentication for handbags even real?

You are overlooking the main aspect of this. Ebay has put its name to the authentication program.

It is giving its customers a guarantee that the bag they pay big bucks for is authentic.

In fact, it even issues the bag with an authentication certificate.

Ebay has obviously introduced this because before this, they must have had numerous disputes about authenticity. And when you're looking at goods that could cost hundreds or even thousands of dollars, there is a lot at stake for both buyer and seller.

The buyer because they may get a fake and the seller because they could get someone opening a claim but sending back a fake & not what they were sold.

So ebay has a big stake in this. They are not going to want to hand it over to some company that is not affiliated with them. Especially if their own experts are saying the item is not genuine.

Speaking from the point of view of a customer, if you, the seller, had an authenticity program that said a bag was genuine but then ebay disputed this, I would be alarmed, I wouldn't want to go through with the purchase anyway.

I understand that sometimes ebay may get it wrong. There's a margin of error in all human enterprises.

But I don't think you're ever going to persuade them to accept the judgement of an outside company to over rule their own experts. And if a lot of your bags are failing the ebay test and not just the occasional one, you probably need to go back to your original sources and question if you yourself have been ripped off.

View solution in original post

Message 37 of 50
Latest reply

@kittys_boutique wrote:

https://www.vestiairecollective.com/members/profile-20698584.shtml

For reference, everything sold overseas on Vestiaire is checked by their expert authenticators in person and an Expert seller must have sold in volume over the past six months without a single item ever having been rejected on authentication concerns.  The volume in our case was 40 items there in six months.  It is the same stock as our eBay catalog.  So what accounts for this discrepancy?  I'm throwing up my hands in despair.  Of course, I don't expect any help from you lot.

I don't know that we can account for the discrepancy.

I don't believe you are trying to pass off fakes, I can understand you'd be astounded if you have a lot of stock that has passed expert authenticators at Vestiaire without a problem then all of a sudden it is being rejected by the ebay authenticators. I believe that you believe the items to be genuine.

Is it definitely the same stock, delivered in the same batch?

People here are not racists. It isn't racist (in my mind) to say that certain countries such as China are more inclined to manufacture a lot of 'fake' products. From what I can gather, it is not illegal there. I was in China in 2018 and our guide, who was Chinese, even warned us about it. Just as it isn't racist to say certain races or groups have a higher percentage of this or that. For instance, (to use an example that doesn't cause upset) I think the highest % of redheads are in Scotland or of Scottish heritage. That's not racist to say that, it is just a fact. It becomes racist only if you reject someone or something only on the basis of race.

People here aren't doubting the bags because they dislike the Chinese, but because the odds of getting a fake item from China or Hong Kong is higher. We can't go around pretending all areas, all countries and all companies are equal because they are not.

It doesn't mean all bags coming out of HK are necessarily fakes but it probably would put a lot of people on the alert, if that makes sense.

If I were you, knowing that your bags are having trouble with Australian ebay authenticators, I'd be inclined to do what you mentioned and maybe market them somewhere other than Australia or even on another site other than ebay, where you can use the Vestiaire authenticators.

I just don't think that anyone here is going to be able to give you any advice on how to overcome the ebay system & as far as I know, ebay itself doesn't listen much to suggestions, so you're probably just banging your head against a brick wall there.

It may change in time, it depends on who is working there at the ebay authentication centre. Is it possible to ask for details as to why any particular bag failed the test? I've not got high hopes you'll get anywhere, getting a straight answer from ebay is like pulling teeth.

View solution in original post

Message 40 of 50
Latest reply
49 REPLIES 49

Is the problem with only one brand of bag?

Message 2 of 50
Latest reply

which brand bag,

Message 3 of 50
Latest reply

Plus define what you mean by the bags originator.  the originator could be the forger

Message 4 of 50
Latest reply

Not a single brand of bag, I need an authentication service that eBay can trust.  Bag's originator as in the person who gave us the bag, could be a trusted client or even store.

Have people had good experience with Entrupy?  Is that pretty much what eBay uses or would they rather dispute that as well?

Message 5 of 50
Latest reply

@kittys_boutique wrote:

Bag's originator as in the person who gave us the bag, could be a trusted client or even store.

Well there you go,  obviously not a trusted client,  and do you believe all stores sell legit bags.

Message 7 of 50
Latest reply

I'm curious as to who ' certain authenticators ' actually are. ??

Message 8 of 50
Latest reply

It looks like you're drop shipping a fair few bags from Hong Kong.

How do you know they are authentic, considering the Chinese have a reputation for 'off brand' items?

Message 9 of 50
Latest reply

I don't know 100% that they are authentic, but then again I don't know 100% that eBay is being always truthful about what's authentic or not.  Hence the query about finding an authenticator that is better aligned with eBay (that would make calls similar to eBay's whether or not they are 100% correct)

The major point is about finding a better authenticator which I believe we can all agree is a good thing.

Message 10 of 50
Latest reply