eBay accepted third party authentication for handbags?

I keep getting bags rejected by eBay authentication over authenticity concerns, despite knowing the bag's originator personally and/or certifying it with certain authenticators, that eBay doesn't care about.  Then, I'm slapped with several day bans on selling, now extending to 10 days each time.  I can't go on like this.  Is there any third party authentication service for handbags that eBay will take as authoritative enough to dispute their own 'findings'?

Is eBay authentication for handbags even real?

Message 1 of 50
Latest reply
49 REPLIES 49

Re: eBay accepted third party authentication for handbags?

@kittys_boutique wrote:

https://www.vestiairecollective.com/members/profile-20698584.shtml

For reference, everything sold overseas on Vestiaire is checked by their expert authenticators in person and an Expert seller must have sold in volume over the past six months without a single item ever having been rejected on authentication concerns.  The volume in our case was 40 items there in six months.  It is the same stock as our eBay catalog.  So what accounts for this discrepancy?  I'm throwing up my hands in despair.  Of course, I don't expect any help from you lot.

eBay don''t give a ' rats ' about Vestiaire.

And that's the best help you are going to get.

Message 41 of 50
Latest reply

Hi everyone,

This discussion has gotten a bit heated. Please remember that, while it is fine to disagree with others, discussion should always remain friendly and respectful as required by the Community Guidelines .

Thank you for your cooperation.

Message 42 of 50
Latest reply

I keep getting bags returned also by the new ebay verifiers, but not because their authenticity is in question!   I welcomed the arrival of the authenticators.  If I purchased vintage French bags for my own collection 75% of them would turn up as counterfeit.  Most sellers just did not seem to know the difference between real and fake, I don't think they had malicious intent, they just did not know how to identify quality.  I've sold Hermes, LV and Chanel on ebay for 22 years and had an unblemished record.  I was excited about a verification  team coming on-board and was proud to send them my 100% guaranteed authentic handbags for their  examination... which they promptly returned!   Reason?  They say my photos don't match.  Huh?  My photos are of the exact vintage item, any  fault is identified in the listing, and my buyers would have been thrilled to receive their purchases, as they have been for 2 decades.   This is my livelihood.  Today I phoned ebay to discuss and got a rude American woman on the other end who advised me to start selling my items "somewhere else"!  So I will.   I've closed down 90% of my inventory tonight and will wind up my store by the end of the week.  

Frankly I'm disgusted and terribly upset.   I suspect the authenticator team will soon reject any bag that is not BNWT.  At least they didn't accuse me of selling a fake!

Message 43 of 50
Latest reply

Sorry to read your upset and when I find myself in similar situations I try to take a step before making any decisions. My guess is as they are used they just err on the side of caution and reject items they may not be sure on  or don't have the knowledge to be able to verify.

One issue I can imagine is if one item is returned they likely flag your account then just consider whatever you send to not be genuine. Maybe take a break from sending any in and try in a few months and see if things change. 

Selling is hard  and you have been doing it long enough to know setbacks are part of it. Best thing to do is not take it personal and treat it like a business and work through problems as they arise. I for one focus my energy from issues like these to moving forward and improving what I have instead of letting it get to me. 

Message 44 of 50
Latest reply

Having read Zodiac's post - it seems to me the question was not about ' genuine ' but the fact they deemed the photographs of the item did not - for some reason - match the item sent.

Perhaps they should have gone to Specsavers.

Message 45 of 50
Latest reply

I guess unless you have another store,  you weren't selling much recently anyhow, so no great loss to Ebay.

I would rather have the authenticators reject a product than let something through,  more power to the authenticators.

Message 46 of 50
Latest reply

Yes, two stores, both out now.  I guess if your business has not been not authentic vintage French pieces for 2 decades you just wont get it.  Have fun with your eBay businesses ladies.  Bye

Message 47 of 50
Latest reply

My comment regarding Specsavers was for the so called Authenticators. 

Message 48 of 50
Latest reply

@zodiac_woman wrote:

Gee, negative lil Sugar has a lot to say for a 249 feedback veteran.  When you get to 14,000 let us know.

Yes, two stores, both out now.  I guess if your business has not been not authentic vintage French pieces for 2 decades you just wont get it.  Have fun with your eBay businesses ladies.  Bye

ah,  you make assumptions, this is my pretend store i have others.  

Message 49 of 50
Latest reply

Hi everyone,

As users continued to violate our guidelines in spite of the warning previously issued here, this thread has been closed to further replies.

Please feel free to start a new thread if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

Message 50 of 50
Latest reply