eBay dictating again!

I've had several buyers complaining that the must use I immediate payment when trying to buy items. I don't have this payment method as a setting as I offer local pick up with cash on pick up.

i wrote to eBay asking why buyers are getting immediate payment messages. This was the response.....

we currently implementing a new process in eBay which we call Retail standards. Its goal is to reduce Unpaid item cases by 80%. With this new process, we have a threshold of 650 AUD which applies to single quantity fixed price items:

• If an item is above $650, buyers will be taken to the Commit to Buy screen where they can then continue to checkout and complete their transaction.
• If an item is below $650, buyers will have to pay for items immediately.
• If the buyer is purchasing two items collectively priced above $650, Retail Standard will apply and they will be taken to the Commit to Buy screen where they can continue to checkout to purchase both items.

Surely as the seller it is my choice as to Whether I want immediate payment or not? This forces PayPal or Paymate or the likes and stops the option of Pay on Pick Up. 

I guess the only way around this is to accept the immediate payment, refund it and ask the buyer to pay cash! 

Message 1 of 28
Latest reply
27 REPLIES 27

eBay dictating again!

Well lets hope they make pick up items exempt from this new process.

image host
Message 2 of 28
Latest reply

eBay dictating again!

Immediate payment will stop non payers for sure.
But it costs you an extra 30-cents PayPal transaction fee for each one.
The non payers don't worry us too much. I just open a UID case on day #4 and close it on day #8. Works for us.
Message 3 of 28
Latest reply

eBay dictating again!

As I pointed out in my response to EBay's response, the option of immediate payment is already an option and should be the seller's choice if they want to use it. 

Yes, there are a lot of non payers but that's what the Unpaid Irem Dispute is for.

And when did the increase in non payers start......around the same time eBay removed the option to leave  negative feedback for buyers.  In fact the number of non payers skyrocketed, because sellers couldn't leave negs, so buyers didn't care whether they paid or not

Message 4 of 28
Latest reply

eBay dictating again!

Exactly my point Clarry. These options are already in place so why does eBay continue to start dictating!

Message 5 of 28
Latest reply

eBay dictating again!

I think you can override this by going through preferences and choosing allow buyers to make combined purchases, or at leat you could. With pick ups you need to have selected cash on pick up as a payment option.

Unless of course they have overturned these options. But yes immediate payment is the default setting now. If buyer doesn't pay before pick and you haven't selected this then exchanging contact details is gonna get you pinged.

Ebay is such a minefiled now, how is a new casual buyer not going to get kicked off for something or other?

-------------------------------

ASSUMPTION IS THE MOTHER OF ALL STUFF UPS!!
Message 6 of 28
Latest reply

eBay dictating again!

Hi Lane,

I'm sorry for asking what is probably a silly question, but if you tick offer combined postage in the preferences and someone buys say, 2 items, do ebay wait for you (the seller) to work out the combined postage and adjust the invoice for the buyer, or do they have a 'guess' what it might be and adjust it somehow themselves?

I'm a bit concerned if it's the latter. TIA

Message 7 of 28
Latest reply

eBay dictating again!

How is this supposed to work on listings where there are variations and buyers need to ask for a combined invoice? I have several. I really dont care as they will go elsewhere and purchase on my website for flat rate and no need for all the combine BS. eBay are doing themselves out of business with my listings.

Message 8 of 28
Latest reply

eBay dictating again!

I don't know. that's what's worrying me. Hence my question above.

Message 9 of 28
Latest reply

eBay dictating again!

Edited to add: Just realised the primary complaint in the OP is because the items have pick-up available, with cash on pick up as a payment option, which makes most of below irrelevant to the actual topic Smiley Embarassed, but leaving it here in case it's food for though for others. 

I have a slightly different perspective on this, and actually agree with eBay on one point - that immediate payment is indeed industry standard (for retail, at least, not so much for wholesale), and in the grand scheme of things, sellers would more than likely be able to work with it if the site.... well, worked. 

The issue isn't so much eBay forcing immediate payment, it's that they way they tend to do things like this creates more problems than they solve.

I suspect most sellers, no matter what they sell, would be able to find a workable postage solution with any one of eBay's options - flat rate, calculated, or rate tables (which itself has a couple of different ways they can be set up), in conjunction with combined or promotional postage rules, and / or promotions (pricing) manager, there is a full range of options that have the potential to eliminate the need for buyers submitting orders, not paying, and sellers manually issuing invoices.

But, and there's always a big, smelly but where eBay is concerned, the above would only be true is the cart function was intuitive and worked properly, consistently. Which it doesn't.

In spite of that, though, to sellers with stores, or who list regularly, I would suggest thinking about how you would approach postage issues if you decided to sell on another site where there isn't (and hasn't ever been) an option for buyers to confirm a purchase without paying. Even just as a hypothetical thought experiement, try letting go of the sale-by-sale calculation approach and work with revenue / postage costs as single line items and see if that gives you any new ideas / strategies, because honestly, I see this as a shift that is being handled very badly (and to the detriment of all), but it's possible that sooner or later the tech issues and teething problems are ironed out and people will be able to adjust accordingly.

PS - from memory the option you can tick to allow buyers to combine multiple purchases is there so that it happens (or is supposed to happen) automatically at the checkout stage, without the buyer having to request a manual invoice. I know I had mine ticked, and set at 7 days - meaning, purchases over a 7 day period would automatically be combined, with my postage discounts applied. If someone bought another item 8 days after the first item, those would not be automatically combined, however I can still manually issue and invoice to override the setting. At least, that's the way it worked in the past, things may have (and often do) change. 

Message 10 of 28
Latest reply