eBay pays some "Mentors" to post on Community boards?

x3n0m
Community Member

I woulda kept this to myself except the constant scuttling of rodents about this place requires some kind of pest control ..

"It appears eBay is paying some people to respond to questions on its community discussion boards."

So hopefully that puts to rest the speculation about certain ebay cheerleaders about the place here .. it certainly explains why they actually live here and are so nasty to people who post about difficult topics here .. this corrupt empire is crumbling into a cesspool .. this would explain why it is so painful attempting any type of serious conversation on this seller board here ..

https://www.ecommercebytes.com/C/blog/blog.pl?/pl/2021/6/1623719450.html

Message 1 of 66
Latest reply
65 REPLIES 65

Re: eBay pays some "Mentors" to post on Community boards?

@colic2bullsgirlore wrote:

Some of the history of sock puppetry and descriptions of different ploys used

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sock_puppet_account

It is innate in most forums. It is part and parcel of garnering information and opinion in cyberspace. To refute that ebay, the original online selling platform, does not employ the tactic subversively to manipulate those lost souls that seek "information" is the only foolish statement I see in this thread.

Its pretty obvious that there are regular posters on this forum who meet the criteria of sock puppet described in your link. Whether they are ebay stooges or simply multiple identities employed by a small group to disrupt threads and shut down discussion they dont like is a different question.

The little group that has hijacked this forum may also be using sock puppets to mass report posts they disagree with in an attempt to influence board moderators. Pity really as we used to have some very interesting, robust discussions, particularly on the community spirit board.

You can see the result of the little groups efforts on that community spirit board where discussions on social and current affairs have completely disappeared to be replaced with funny cat photos and threads on what you are having for dinner tonight. Unfortunately a lot of the more colourfull characters  with interesting insights have also disappeared. 

Pat yourselves on the back little group .......... Job well done !!!

Message 41 of 66
Latest reply

Well - that's a bit of a shame for those new selling IDs you set up for charity a month or so ago.

Message 42 of 66
Latest reply

@colic2bullsgirlore wrote:

It is innate in most forums. 

Source?

Also, the general point of contention of this thread is that the article in the link does not prove there are "sock puppets" in this forum, so saying "but it does happen" is not the point and doesn't argue against any of the points raised that criticise the suggestion it does prove it.  

Message 43 of 66
Latest reply

@domino-710 wrote:

Well - that's a bit of a shame for those new selling IDs you set up for charity a month or so ago.

Not really. What I do for not for profits is separate to what I do as an individual.

I think the group I am volunteering for are probably fairly happy right now. A couple of weeks ago, I found a scrappy little book with torn covers that has been independently valued at $2500 - $3000 for a quick sale or $4000 - $5000 if we want to chase top dollar. I have an appointment later this week with one of Australia's leading antiquarian book dealers to arrange the sale of this one, along with around a dozen others valued in the hundreds of dollars each.

Nothing to do with ebay, but its pretty good money considering the scrappy little book was destined for the rubbish bin when I found it.

Message 44 of 66
Latest reply

And before you call BS google this one ..........😁

Picture 43098.jpg

Message 45 of 66
Latest reply

@domino-710 wrote:

I realise some of the regular whingers and knockers here barely leave the computer, but some of us really do get out there and do some interesting stuff in life, rather than just sitting at home moaning about everything...........😁

Message 46 of 66
Latest reply

Some of us have more get up and go than others,  and know how to multi task on the go.  regularly knock over  500km +  before breakfast and might make it home before sundown if lucky, and all while keeping things running via satellite, isn't tech great.

I do not profess to know or even guess,  how other posters spend their days.

By the way, that book looks familiar, might have a copy here somewhere.

Message 47 of 66
Latest reply

@chameleon54 wrote:

@domino-710 wrote:

Not really. What I do for not for profits is separate to what I do as an individual.

I think the group I am volunteering for are probably fairly happy right now. A couple of weeks ago, I found a scrappy little book with torn covers that has been independently valued at $2500 - $3000 for a quick sale or $4000 - $5000 if we want to chase top dollar. I have an appointment later this week with one of Australia's leading antiquarian book dealers to arrange the sale of this one, along with around a dozen others valued in the hundreds of dollars each.

Nothing to do with ebay, but its pretty good money considering the scrappy little book was destined for the rubbish bin when I found it.

So you have an appointment with Michael . 

Message 48 of 66
Latest reply

Hi everyone,

This thread has gotten a bit off-topic and heated. Please remember that, while it is fine to disagree with others, discussion should always remain courteous and respectful. Please refrain from name-calling.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Message 49 of 66
Latest reply

@gutterpunkz05 wrote:

Some of us have more get up and go than others,  and know how to multi task on the go.  regularly knock over  500km +  before breakfast and might make it home before sundown if lucky, and all while keeping things running via satellite, isn't tech great.

I do not profess to know or even guess,  how other posters spend their days.

By the way, that book looks familiar, might have a copy here somewhere.

It starts to become fairly obvious after awhile who the doers are and who the talkers are. Usually its the ones who have the most to say who actually do the least and they are often the ones who are most critical of anyone else who " has a go "..  

@gutterpunkz05  I worked out long ago that you are one of the doers.

Message 50 of 66
Latest reply